Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2017, 12:59 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,133,491 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Oh, I don't know. By 12 I very much knew I was attracted to men. There was never a doubt that I was straight.

Her sexuality may still be in flux, but if she is attracted to the same sex then it is likely she has known that for years - even by age 12.
If she understands herself so well at such a young age, then more power to her. For me, it wasn't until my 20s that I knew for sure that I was somewhat bi.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2017, 01:01 PM

6,855 posts, read 2,843,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
This need for people to grandstand in front of very public areas so that they can get a million likes on their social media page and be lauded for their 'bravery' and 'courage' is getting so old already.

12 years old and pulling stunts like these. Come on.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/mormon-gi...113421558.html
Yeah, us uppity LGBT folk should just shut up and get back in our closets already, so you don't have to be uncomfortable.

Not happening.

Old 06-18-2017, 01:45 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
I don't understand the need for an announcement on the status of a 12 year old's sexuality. It feels so out of place that I have to wonder what's going on in that girls life.

Old 06-18-2017, 01:51 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,778,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekigurl View Post
Yeah, us uppity LGBT folk should just shut up and get back in our closets already, so you don't have to be uncomfortable.

Not happening.
Who's stopping her from saying it at a Starbucks, on a street corner where ever.

No one is pepper spraying her. She has free speech & freedom of expression.

But if she does it at a movie theater while people are watching a movie.....or on a baseball infield while players are actually playing......or in Church (any church) where people are trying to follow a doctrine or possibly praying (that she can follow or not follow & pray or not pray & leave or stay)......or at school while people are trying to take a Final Exam.....then she will probably be asked to leave.

How is this hard to understand??

Old 06-18-2017, 01:52 PM

424 posts, read 236,379 times
It was absolutely inappropriate for her to make those comments in that setting. However, the fact that someone magically happened to be taping it suggests to me that this was a set up.

The fact is that if Mormons don't want to allow homosexuals in their church, then they shouldn't have to. If you're a homosexual, don't become Mormon. Simple as that.

In any event, the bishop probably should have just let her finish, not out of respect for her, but because it looks bad to cut her off. If he didn't cut her off, this wouldn't even be a discussion right now.

Old 06-18-2017, 02:03 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,111,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDistinguishedGentleman View Post
It was absolutely inappropriate for her to make those comments in that setting. However, the fact that someone magically happened to be taping it suggests to me that this was a set up.

The fact is that if Mormons don't want to allow homosexuals in their church, then they shouldn't have to. If you're a homosexual, don't become Mormon. Simple as that.

In any event, the bishop probably should have just let her finish, not out of respect for her, but because it looks bad to cut her off. If he didn't cut her off, this wouldn't even be a discussion right now.

Tend to agree. In general Mormons are very accommodating and accepting people, that tend to follow their doctrine.

I'm suspicious of a 12 year old being clear in their sexual conviction at that age.

Also I would imagine the pictures were from her parents.

Old 06-18-2017, 02:11 PM

5,315 posts, read 2,111,534 times
I do wonder a little who was taping, as it is not common practice at all to do so in these church meetings. *shrug*

Old 06-18-2017, 02:31 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,824,183 times
So who is putting this 12-year old child up to making a public church announcement about her homosexuality? Are we to believe she suddenly concluded that this was her orientation and this was the time and place to make a public announcement?? -- Where are her parents and what is the underlying agenda and manipulative force at work here?

Old 06-18-2017, 02:35 PM

4,491 posts, read 2,224,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
This need for people to grandstand in front of very public areas so that they can get a million likes on their social media page and be lauded for their 'bravery' and 'courage' is getting so old already.

12 years old and pulling stunts like these. Come on.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/mormon-gi...113421558.html
Is that really considered a public space? Speaking to her congregation, one she may have been apart of since birth? Is it really so unreasonable for someone to speak like that in a setting like that? She wasn't on the steps of her local court house, she was in a space that likely felt a bit like family to her.

Old 06-18-2017, 02:37 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 17 days ago)

29,544 posts, read 16,528,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I don't understand the need for an announcement on the status of a 12 year old's sexuality. It feels so out of place that I have to wonder what's going on in that girls life.
maybe some of her fellow church goers had a homophobic conversation around her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies