Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 10:19 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,619,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
I did it in NY. Problem was, I was preaching to deaf ears. Other problem was. All the Yeah we'll be there. Didn't show up. Instead they "had work" and rolled over, took it dry without a kiss or dinner and figured well, we can't beat em, just register and comply.

Nah. Nope. Mine got lost in a tragic boating accident and washed ashore in Florida
That's my story I'm sticking with it.

I used to have a really good ballistic table on an old desktop that got destroyed in the move. Spreadsheets worth.
Factory loads, hand loads. Military spec loads. Bullet drop. Twist rates. Velocities at distances. Energy at distances. All on spread sheets.
From .17 on up to 50 BMG and quite a few Soviet loads, German Loads, and Swiss loads. Pistol rifle carbine short barrel rifle shot gun. Had every manufacturers OEM loads that were current as of 2011. Moving company placed it on the floor of the truck and something heavy came down and pancaked it into a million pieces.
Ohwell...
That would have been a good one to upload.

I'll say this. I don't want to get shot either. But if I were to get shot... I'd rather be hit by a glorified 22 (5.56/223) than a 30-30, 30-06, 416, 12 gauge slug, 45acp. Rather have some thing small and fast with a needle effect cut clean through than something used in hunting that dumps massive energy upon impact and either fragments or expands.

Remember that shootout in Hollywood with the 2 guys armed with AKs? And how they had a shootout with cops...
They were claimed to have armor piercing ammo because it went clean through cop cars...

wasn't armor piercing.
Thin gauge sheet metal will not stop a bullet. Neither will interior components. Regular fmj ball ammo will punch through a car. Heck even a 22 lr will shoot clean through a car! Close enough though... so they pass these laws against armor piecing rounds. Noble. However follow that up with reduced lead loads. Ok. So what's the next material to use that's close in density to lead? Steel is off the table... Tungsten?
Oh lord my sides!

Ah yes. There's another fear term that annoys me. "Armor piercing " aka "cop killer" bullets.
Lol don't get .me started on that. What total BS. Ya know, the 30 30 Win a d the 7.62x39 are almost ballistic twins like the old 38 40 and the 40 SW. Just a piece of shooting trivia for your edification. Oh and I erroneously named the baseball shooters gun as an AK earlier. It was an SKS. Same cartridge, but different platforms. My bad.

Bismuth has been looked into as a lead substitute, but it was ort lived project. Not cost effective. , lead is just the best bullet material there is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2017, 10:38 PM

2,953 posts, read 992,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
So when antigunners claim AR15s are powerful and their rounds are powerful, remember. It's an intermediate 22 caliber cartridge that has a projectile that moves fast. That's it. That's all.
You are afraid of a glorified 22? Want to see what a 300 win mag will do to a deer at 200 yards? How about a 338 lapua at 1000? Maybe a 30-06? Worst inside 200 yards, isnt an AR15... that's a varmint gun.
The hand wringing over the perversely destructive AK and AR rifles. The sharp intake of breath, the clutching motions at the imaginary string of pearls around their necks. The horrah ... the horrah.

It's all just phony repackaging of the truth to prop their holy mission to ban these guns. In the absence of facts ... make $hit up.

As if there's some exaggerated horrific lethality inherent in a round designed for military application. I've got news for some of you - humans aren't a difficult animal to kill. Thin hide, low bone density, minimal musculature, no cartilaginous shield. I wouldn't hunt deer with a .223 AR or a 7.62 AK. The chance of wounding rather than killing would be too high. And forget about hogs entirely. The concern there is as much about your own safety as it is inhumanely wounding the animal. Only a very lucky shot from an AR is going to stop a very pissed off 450 lb boar and if you've ever been downrange from one I'm here to tell you they move fast.

My point is that in the spectrum of Rifle Bullets Meant To Kill $h!t, the AR and AK rounds are on the less impressive side. So if crazy lethal is your metric for swinging the terrified libby ban-hammer then why aren't you flailing away at the hunting rifles and their ammunition that are capable of killing anything that moves on the N. American continent?

One would like to think they have some closely held nefarious motive for banning those guns but the truth is actually very banal. They're just scared of them. Those guns look scary to libs who don't understand what they're looking at and that's really all there is to it. Ignorance and fear. That's all folks.

Old 07-17-2017, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
A Oh and I erroneously named the baseball shooters gun as an AK earlier. It was an SKS. Same cartridge, but different platforms. My bad.
Whaaaa??? He used an SKS? Seriously wtf. Last seen in combat on the Korean peninsula. I wish I'd known that when the libs were all squealing about assault weapons the day after the shooting ... as if they actually cared that a Republican got shot. Not an efficient gun. I've got one (Yugo) and those 10rd stripper clips are not a fast reload.

Old 07-17-2017, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wee-Bey View Post
Whaaaa??? He used an SKS? Seriously wtf. Last seen in combat on the Korean peninsula. I wish I'd known that when the libs were all squealing about assault weapons the day after the shooting ... as if they actually cared that a Republican got shot. Not an efficient gun. I've got one (Yugo) and those 10rd stripper clips are not a fast reload.
Yea, but from what I understand this one had the mag detachment mod. Still pretty clumsy. I had one once. I didn't care for it and mine was a Russian make. It was ok. But I like the AK better and the AR better that. Still, the SKS is a "military" rifle and tberefore has features that make it more deadly by design ya know. Such as its ability to turn any ammon introduced to it into "Armor piercing cop killer" stuff. Goes right through a car door!

And of course cars are the greatest bullet cover on Earth. Dontcha watch any movies? Lol. You know, those same movies where people learn that a shotgun will make a fuel tank explode with one round and people fly backwards 10 feet and through a plate glass window when hit with a 9mm. Some really good information about the capabilities of firearms there man.

Old 07-17-2017, 11:57 PM

30,894 posts, read 36,943,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Strong Second Amendment advocates have developed this narrative that Democrats, especially under the Obama administration, wanted to confiscate guns from law abiding citizens. The image is typically armies of government agents in black masks going from home to home breaking down doors to take people's weapons. Anybody rational knows that this is paranoia with no basis in reality but the fact of the matter is that the paranoia exists and it was hugely instrumental in getting Trump elected. "Obama wants to take our guns" was the mantra all across rural America. Obama didn't really help the situation when he would use the aftermath of mass shootings to talk about gun control.

Question is, are there Democrats that really want to take it as far as to confiscate guns from law abiding citizens? The things I've heard proposed are things like stricter background checks and bans on certain types of assault rifles, but not the apocalyptic, totalitarian gun grab that the NRA and conservatives fearmonger could happen under Democratic leadership.

What do you think? Is the NRA crowd's paranoia based in reality or is it simply tinfoil hat paranoia? This is important because as I stated, it was hugely instrumental in the election of Trump. A lot of people voted Trump specifically because they feared Obama and/or Hillary wanted to attempt a gun grab.
I have never owned a gun in my life or even held one in my hand.

But I do think the agenda is to eventually take away all guns. The government sees gun ownership as a threat to power and control. It's done in a step by step process. Death by 1000 cuts. Each and every crisis committed with a gun is amplified and politicized so that the anti-gun agenda can be pushed. Power is always grabbed in the name of "security" (whether it be economic or security from physical danger). When people are kept in fear mode, they are more likely to give up their rights in the name of security, until they have no rights left.

Even some liberals like feminist Naomi Wolf see what is happening:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MYU5Pipl1E

I also like what independents like Jesse Ventura have said...something to the effect of "If the government wants citizens to not own guns, how about they stop selling arms to other countries. Let the government set the example".

Old 07-18-2017, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I have never owned a gun in my life or even held one in my hand.

But I do think the agenda is to eventually take away all guns. The government sees gun ownership as a threat to power and control. It's done in a step by step process. Death by 1000 cuts. Each and every crisis committed with a gun is amplified and politicized so that the anti-gun agenda can be pushed. Power is always grabbed in the name of "security" (whether it be economic or security from physical danger). When people are kept in fear mode, they are more likely to give up their rights in the name of security, until they have no rights left.

Even some liberals like feminist Naomi Wolf see what is happening:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MYU5Pipl1E

I also like what independents like Jesse Ventura have said...something to the effect of "If the government wants citizens to not own guns, how about they stop selling arms to other countries. Let the government set the example".
Ol. Yes. How bout they stop giving them away to the bad guys as well. Fast and Furious anyone? Oh yes. That nagging little loud , ugly problem for the anti gun goofball that just won't go away. Like a case of herpes it's a gift that keeps on giving. Same with things like Waco and Ruby Ridge. And the current trend of the feds helping LE to seriously gun up isn't helping the anti firearms rights clowns agenda much either. Leftist nuts calling for armed rebellion and military coups, assassination attempts by those same nuts, lol it all has the anti gunners digging and scratching like they have a case of the crabs.

Old 07-18-2017, 03:39 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,876,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Did he not say this?

Obama: It's 'insane' that people on the 'no-fly' list can buy guns - CNNPolitics.com

Did he not push this?

Obama pushes to extend gun background checks to Social Security - LA Times

The basic point of the matter is that so often we saw him try to bypass the Due Process Clause of the Constitution (if you want to remove someone's rights, you take them to court) through this administrative ruling or that one.
It is insane that people who are being seen by a shrink for mental instability are allowed to buy guns.
It is insane that we do make excuses for criminal activity depending upon the race of the criminals.
I own guns and love shooting. I would also have no issue with registering every weapon in my house. A 30 day waiting period. Required to use a gun shop for every transaction including rifles and shotguns.
The NRA is an all or nothing mentality org and I will never renew a membership with them.

Old 07-18-2017, 05:26 AM

19,717 posts, read 10,114,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
It is insane that people who are being seen by a shrink for mental instability are allowed to buy guns.
It is insane that we do make excuses for criminal activity depending upon the race of the criminals.
I own guns and love shooting. I would also have no issue with registering every weapon in my house. A 30 day waiting period. Required to use a gun shop for every transaction including rifles and shotguns.
The NRA is an all or nothing mentality org and I will never renew a membership with them.
registering guns is the start to confiscation.

Old 07-18-2017, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
But what is instability? Being seen by a shrink goes all the way from anxiety up to schizophrenia. Only a small amount of that spectrum would make someone unfit to own a gun. Additionally you're now talking about a person's doctor having to A.) divulge your medical records to the govt and B.) Make a ruling on whether or not a patient is dangerous. That's a lot of guesswork and liability you're asking them for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962
Yes.

Quote:
Waiting periods have been tried in places like California and data shows it had no effect on gun related crime. It seems or feels like it might have an impact on impulse crimes but the data shows no causality so why make the law?

Quote:
Was a member once but quit when they went from a shooter's resource group and a legal advocacy watchdog for gun rights to a super pac. I know this is a loaded analogy but I'd prefer they remain something like a 2nd amendment version of the ACLU. Keep an eye out for bad legal decisions and challenge them where they exist. Not get heavily involved in politics and big $$ campaign support for a political party. I think they've done a lot to give gun owners a bad name. We don't need that. 2nd amendment advocacy shouldn't make a Democrat feel guilty like he or she is aligning themselves with the right. It should be a right and proper thing for everyone to support the 2nd amendment to the constitution regardless of political association.

Old 07-18-2017, 08:04 AM

34,228 posts, read 18,567,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
The problem with the Dems and the self proclaimed Social Justice anti gun Warriors is that they fail to see the difference between a gang banger using an illegally owned gun to aid his crimes and the law abiding citizen who enjoys collecting, hunting, target shooting and uses his firearm to protect him or herself and loved ones.

How many times did we hear from the Obama admin. after a mass shooting that we need common sense gun laws? Somehow they could justify banning guns for millions of legal gun owners because one nut job flipped out and did something horrible. Somehow the actions of one rampaging person was the fault of the gun owners and gun lobbies such as the NRA BUT when one muslim terrorist killed people we were told not to make the leap to think that all muslims are to blame.

Hypocrisy is the trademark of the Left.

As for banning certain types of guns the NRA fights so hard against DC because they know that if they give an inch they will take a mile.
^^^^^This. The ultimate goal of what Dems call "reasonable, common sense" gun control (now they call it gun safety) are bans, and confiscation. Hillary called for UK/Australia style gun bans and "buy backs". Remember? She tried to walk it back, but it was already out there. We already have tons of gun control laws on the books, we don't need any more. In fact we need to roll some back. Murder, and violence is already illegal no matter what tool is used.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies