Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2017, 12:41 PM

7,800 posts, read 4,397,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Gerrymandering should be per se illegal.
I agree with you. I don't care whether it benefits Democrats or Republicans, let us do away with it once and for all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2017, 12:42 PM

52,433 posts, read 26,603,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
And unlike CNN, that article clearly states that the Wisconsin situation is different. There are no national ramifications.

Thanks for proving my point.

The OP was simply false controversy generated by CNN.

Old 06-19-2017, 12:52 PM

4,882 posts, read 5,011,495 times
Go look up some of the maps on Wikipedia, disturbing. I don't like how mine is drawn, from Kentucky to Georgia. I have nothing in common with the far reaches of the district. Both sides are guilty of this, don't be so ignorant to say otherwise.

Old 06-19-2017, 01:49 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,919,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
I agree with you. I don't care whether it benefits Democrats or Republicans, let us do away with it once and for all.
I wholeheartedly agree. My dream is to have most districts be as close to R+0 or D+0 as possible. There is no reason to have any district be R+10 or D+10 or more anywhere. I think this country would be far less insane and far less partisan if that were the case.

Old 06-19-2017, 02:14 PM

57,232 posts, read 26,172,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
And unlike CNN, that article clearly states that the Wisconsin situation is different. There are no national ramifications.

The article states that there may be limits to how much a state can get away with, North Carolina is in avery similar situation as are others. If they agree with the lower court ruling you can expect more states to file lawsuits. Wisconsin is no different than several other states.

Old 06-19-2017, 02:16 PM

57,232 posts, read 26,172,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
Voters need to get involved at the state level as was the case in Arizona, don't expect politicians in power to cede control.

Old 06-19-2017, 02:16 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times
Good. It's nothing more than rigging the system to favor the house (pardon the gambling pun).

Old 06-19-2017, 03:02 PM

4,996 posts, read 2,442,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I wholeheartedly agree. My dream is to have most districts be as close to R+0 or D+0 as possible. There is no reason to have any district be R+10 or D+10 or more anywhere. I think this country would be far less insane and far less partisan if that were the case.
Well..just speaking for Idaho..The lines drawn are irrelevant....every district would still be +20 R

Old 06-19-2017, 07:32 PM

22,180 posts, read 19,449,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post

The 2nd paragraph of the article in the Hill states that it could impact how lines are drawn. Also points to other pending cases. GOP gerrymander in N.C and a Dem gerrymander in Maryland

Old 06-19-2017, 08:03 PM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
They will probably reverse the lower court ruling, the Gerrymandering in Wisconsin was definitely partisan but not unconstitutional. This is one of those areas where states need to take back their democracy with truly independent redistricting commissions.

Gerrymandering today is far more precise than it was decades ago, the elections are over before they even begin.
I agree. And two signs that this will occur are that (1) the Court took up the case even though there was no circuit split (courts in two different circuits have essentially issued identical rulings on partisan gerrymandering in the last year), and (2) the Court issued a stay of the lower court's decision in this case. While not dispositive, its important to note that one of the criteria of issuing a stay is "likelihood of success on the merits." Not good news for those seeking to undo Republican districts.

Note, my main problem with the challenge to the GOP districts is that organizations only seem to bring such cases when the outcome threatens to hurt the GOP. Illinois Dems gerrymandered the hell out of their congressional maps last go around (it was one of the few places where Dems could do so). No special lawsuits attacking those districts. For the record, I don't have a problem with partisan gerrymandering. Even if I did, I find it hard to see how it would violate the Constitution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies