Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2017, 10:59 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,734,548 times

Advertisements

Women suffer from “time poverty.” Melinda Gates addressed the issue in the annual letter that she published with Bill Gates. Specifically calling out the gender disparity in time spent doing “unpaid work,” work like childcare, grocery shopping, making doctor appointments for family members, and ensuring that household systems are maintained. These kinds of tasks are the behind-the-scenes functions that keep people alive, keep people healthy, and enable society to function.

Worldwide, women spend an average of 4.5 hours per day on unpaid work—more than double the amount of time men spend. It is work that is historically undervalued and often taken for granted.

https://verilymag.com/2016/02/melind...-feminism-2502
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2017, 11:00 AM

1,889 posts, read 1,324,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
No, I don't mean faulty generalization. I mean a study that tries to quantify people's feelings of "happiness" over three decades is inherently flawed without providing a definition of happiness to the participants. Are you as happy as you can be given your circumstances? Would you have been happier if you had had the means and opportunity to pursue your dreams? Is a clean bathroom and kitchen your definition of happiness? "Happiness" as a concept is too ephemeral to be measured scientifically. And without providing more solid ways for participants to measure "happiness" or without getting more information from participants on how they are defining "happiness", it's just taking a bath in sunshine. It's flawed.

And your "anecdotal" evidence is specific to the Amish.
The Amish have nothing to do with this specific point.

Table 6 outlines the questionnaire they use in the GSS. If you think qualia like happiness can't be measured empirically, then that's an epistemological theory that requires proof. Moreover, one that isn't shared by cognitive scientists, psychologists, medical professionals and so on. Good luck with that.

You'd probably be better off going with the faulty generalization criticism instead.

Old 06-20-2017, 11:00 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latimeria View Post
Pssst it's the reverse, but yes, correlation does not equal causation or else we need to encourage people to become pirates to help combat global warming.

https://www.fastcodesign.com/3030529...isnt-causation
It works either way. If correlation does not equal causation, then causation does not equal correlation.

Old 06-20-2017, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower72 View Post
The funny thing about your post here is that it basically reiterates what I said earlier, and repeats it back to me as if I'm being lectured on information I don't know. And please calm down.

We've already established that the causal pathway for the paradox is unknown, so I'm not sure why you're bringing this up now. We know this already. It doesn't make the premise any less sound, unless you happen to think all proofs have to be deductive.
The funny thing about your post is that you didn't rebut anything I said, while I rebutted your entire use of anecdotal evidence as foundation for your argument. And then you tried to negate my remarks by telling me to calm down. Perhaps you should "calm down". Because your arguments on this thread have no foundation.

Old 06-20-2017, 11:03 AM

5,315 posts, read 2,113,854 times
Quote:
It works either way. If correlation does not equal causation, then causation does not equal correlation.
Oh interesting. I have only ever really dealt with the reverse (which is so in play with what's said in this thread). Cool. Causation can exist without correlation - Christopher S. Penn Marketing Blog

Old 06-20-2017, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latimeria View Post
But your initial premise has us going back to 19th century status. If we don't know the cause of the current paradox, why would your theory have us basically erasing feminism as a cure?
Question and answer in the same comment. It's only one premise among others.

Old 06-20-2017, 11:06 AM

Quote:
The Amish have nothing to do with this specific point.

Table 6 outlines the questionnaire they use in the GSS. If you think qualia like happiness can't be measured empirically, then that's an epistemological theory that requires proof. Moreover, one that isn't shared by cognitive scientists, psychologists, medical professionals and so on. Good luck with that.

You'd probably be better off going with the faulty generalization criticism instead.
That's correct. That's why my point didn't cite the Amish.

And happiness can't be measured empirically. Only a person's perception of happiness. Which is subjective, not objective. As any scientist (be they medical or not) will tell you.

Old 06-20-2017, 11:10 AM

Quote:
The funny thing about your post is that you didn't rebut anything I said, while I rebutted your entire use of anecdotal evidence as foundation for your argument. And then you tried to negate my remarks by telling me to calm down. Perhaps you should "calm down". Because your arguments on this thread have no foundation.
Anecdotal evidence is valid. It's just not statistical evidence nor is it considered to be as rigorous.

A single anecdotal testimony is sufficient to falsify a universal generalization, or as proof of concept, or to show that an hypothetical claim is merely possible (as it is being used here).

Quote:
That's correct. That's why my point didn't cite the Amish.

And happiness can't be measured empirically. Only a person's perception of happiness. Which is subjective, not objective. As any scientist (be they medical or not) will tell you.
Really? https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?...%2FAbstract%5D

Old 06-20-2017, 11:12 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,038,880 times
Have the wimmen gone away yet, Hightower72?

Old 06-20-2017, 11:13 AM

5,315 posts, read 2,113,854 times
Quote:
I think, at some point in the future, the whole notion of gender equality will be rolled back to what it was around the 19th century and this whole sorry sociocultural exercise will be looked back upon with cringing embarrassment.

That is because, irrespective of whether you agree with it or not, as an ideology, it is unworkable, contradicts scientifically verifiable biological differences, is ideologically self-conflicted and, in the long term, fundamentally incompatible with self-sustaining civilization.
Nothing you have posted, vague happiness surveys and Amish anecdotes and all, has further supported your initial suppositions that gender equality is completely unworkable and all of the other things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies