Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2017, 04:06 PM

225 posts, read 216,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallowsCalibrator View Post
Okay. This takes the cake for the funniest thing in this thread. A poster trying to defend another by misrepresenting their opinion.

So like I said, Hightower desires to subjugate women back to 19th century gender roles. And in attempting to provide any sort of evidence to support his personal opinions, used cherry-picked data and anecdotal "evidence" via the Amish and how they treat their women.

But hey, if it's not enough that every woman on this thread has stated that she would be unhappy with 19th century gender roles, I absolutely implore ya to actually survey a couple thousand to hundred-thousand women in America to see if they would be happier in that role.
Sure I got it wrong on one detail, but it seems to be an improvement on your track record.

Case in point, the rest of your post, which is yet more barely coherent nonsense that has little to do with what was actually said in the thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2017, 04:07 PM

5,315 posts, read 2,111,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
You don't recognize me, gallowsCalibrator, hothulamaui, DC at the Ridge, 2mares, tamajane, Cantabridgienne, jjrose, or AfternoonCoffee? Really?

latimeria and Gaylenwoof don't post frequently in PCOC (or at least not in the threads I frequent), but everyone else are frequent contributors to this sub.

A few less strawmen and a few more real interactions might help with recognizing forum posters.
I do here and there in here, mainly with calling out partisan nonsense. I can't resist a thread about "feminism" being the absolute worst ever, as comes up in here sometimes. I mean, in other threads, I've seen a poster say that without men, women would still be in mud huts *maybe* since we're not smart enough to invent anything. That general sort of idea.

Now I'm supposed to believe that it would be best to be a man's property again in the name of "happiness", without any real proof that feminism of any kind is the reason that women may be a little less happier (a subjective idea with many facets) these days. Uh huh.

Old 06-20-2017, 04:09 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,195,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower72 View Post
It's called expressing an opinion. It goes hand in hand with freedom of speech.
I'll rephrase. Why should I give a crap about your opinion of what YOU believe is harmful to women vs what I KNOW would be harmful to me as a woman?

Old 06-20-2017, 04:10 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,796,582 times
Quote:
You don't recognize me, gallowsCalibrator, hothulamaui, DC at the Ridge, 2mares, tamajane, Cantabridgienne, jjrose, or AfternoonCoffee? Really?

latimeria and Gaylenwoof don't post frequently in PCOC (or at least not in the threads I frequent), but everyone else are frequent contributors to this sub.

A few less strawmen and a few more real interactions might help with recognizing forum posters.
I only recognize like 4 of them honestly and yeah I think some of the chime ins are trolling and engaging in hive mind "let's gang up on people that don't 100 percent agree with everything feminist related" chest pounding. My original responses today were to Nola101 in regards to corporate America and discussions on hypergamy and a vice.com article and the apparent phenom where a lot of career women in urban areas, many of them feminists, are complaining about a lack of men to marry up with. However, they are trying to pawn it off as a lack of men, which it really isn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
I'll rephrase. Why should I give a crap about your opinion of what YOU believe is harmful to women vs what I KNOW would be harmful to me as a woman?
^^^ ..and there's a good example. sigh.

Old 06-20-2017, 04:11 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,163,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not the Maginot Line View Post
Sure I got it wrong on one detail, but it seems to be an improvement on your track record.

Case in point, the rest of your post, which is yet more barely coherent nonsense that has little to do with what was actually said in the thread.

Hightower says that women would be happier in 19th century pre-feminism gender roles. Women here are saying that they would not be. I'm saying that he should do a study asking women which they would prefer.

Though, I still have yet to see any sort of additional commentary from Hightower about his statement about Generation-Z's thoughts on gender roles. I'm curious if he'll go in more depth or just continue to ignore requests for data or explanation.

Last edited by CaseyB; 06-20-2017 at 05:41 PM.. Reason: Rude

Old 06-20-2017, 04:12 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,426,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Because he's as swift as a coursing river, with all the force of a great typhoon, with all the strength of a raging fire, and, most importantly, mysterious as the dark side of the moon.

Old 06-20-2017, 04:13 PM

1,889 posts, read 1,323,637 times
Quote:
Absolutely. You are free and welcome to share your opinions. We are also free to tell you that the vast majority of women do not want their rights rolled back to the 1800s. Or the 1950s, for that matter.

What is strange is when every woman in this thread says, "Hey, you know, I like to be able to vote and have a credit card and make purchases in my own name and make my own money and have the choice of whether to be at stay at home wife/mother or not," and your response seems to be, "You just don't know what makes you happy and here are some vaguely related stats to prove why."
The paradox is only evidence that applies at a general population level, so it is not inconsistent with the fact that some women in that population do report being happy. What you say here is simply incorrect and nothing to do with what I've actually said.

Old 06-20-2017, 04:14 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,163,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
Example of what? It looks to me like a simple request for why his opinions on female gender roles should carry more weight than what she wants for herself.

Quote:
Because he's as swift as a coursing river, with all the force of a great typhoon, with all the strength of a raging fire, and, most importantly, mysterious as the dark side of the moon.
If I have to go to the hospital for choking, I'm sending you the bill.

Because that was beautiful.

Old 06-20-2017, 04:14 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,195,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
I only recognize like 4 of them honestly and yeah I think some of the chime ins are trolling and engaging in hive mind "let's gang up on people that don't 100 percent agree with everything feminist related" chest pounding. My original responses today were to Nola101 in regards to corporate America and discussions on hypergamy and a vice.com article and the apparent phenom where a lot of career women in urban areas are complaining about a lack of men to marry up with.

I'm sorry if this woman deciding that I know more about what is harmful to me far better than some man that thinks that all womens rights should be rolled back is being part of a "hive mind". But I would expect that the vast majority of humans regardless of race or sex would not be to amicable to the notion that removal of their rights would be in their best interest.

Old 06-20-2017, 04:16 PM

225 posts, read 216,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latimeria View Post
I'm glad you agree his ideas are nonsense.....because they are. He used marginal anecdotes (hey, Amish women seem happy and don't care they're second class. Never mind we have no proof since they handle affairs internally. That's an awesome example of how life SHOULD be) and a study that by the mere premise (happiness is not easily quantified whatsoever) is flawed. That's about it for what he's argued as reasons why all feminism is harmful and should be abolished. Forgive me for finding that woefully lacking.
Here's a hint. Leave the inowledge theory to those who've studied it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies