Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2017, 11:38 AM

2,366 posts, read 2,639,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Feminism has allowed my wife to manage a team of 20 people in a male-dominated profession, while raising a child, while getting an MBA.

And when she was sexually harassed at work, it allowed her to protect her livelihood while punishing the harrasser.

Feminism has been fantastic for her and for our family. Our son will grow up to know he has a strong, successful mother who demands respect.

But why am I surprised that certain people here have a problem with women being treated like human beings and not sex objects, baby making machines or cleaning services?
Your wife's will and determination led her to her position.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2017, 11:50 AM

5,315 posts, read 2,112,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyxius View Post
Yes, she seems to have proven herself capable and won the position. In the past, it would have been denied simply because she was a woman, regardless of capabilities. That's the difference.

Old 06-19-2017, 11:50 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,870,989 times
Quote:
Because women in the 50's and 60's simply didn't have will and determination.

Old 06-19-2017, 11:51 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,428,739 times
Feminism allowed me to assume a role in the Navy which beforehand had always been assigned to a male Naval officer. True, I initially was asked to take on the duties in an "assistant" capacity to a Captain, but when I made a success of the program, I was promoted to full responsibility for it. Feminism also made me aware of and savvy enough to apply for enough "out of the box" positions prior to that one that I could gain the knowledge and experience needed for that final and best role. Since I started out with the Navy as a temporary receptionist, albeit with a business degree under my belt, I credit my 22+ year Navy career to feminism.

Old 06-19-2017, 11:52 AM

14,489 posts, read 6,095,846 times
Women now have the same rights as men in the US

In some cases they are favored over men

Old 06-19-2017, 11:54 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,335,229 times
Quote:
But without feminism she would have never had the opportunity.

No way in hell does she even apply for the job in 1970. First, there were almost no female engineers back then. Second, she has an Ivy League degree, which would have been impossible back then. Finally, they would have never hired her in her field.

Even today, there are lots of men who are taken aback when the find out she's the boss. Clients want to do the meeting at the local "gentlemans club" and they shut up real fast when they find out who's in charge.

Old 06-19-2017, 12:04 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,230,149 times
At my husband's job, they are just now starting to get more women taking on non-administrative positions. Not because they previously lacked the ability or aptitude to operate heavy machinery, but because of how intimidating it is to enter a male-dominated field, with its customary mocking and sexual harassment

Old 06-19-2017, 12:16 PM

2,366 posts, read 2,639,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
But without feminism she would have never had the opportunity.

No way in hell does she even apply for the job in 1970. First, there were almost no female engineers back then. Second, she has an Ivy League degree, which would have been impossible back then. Finally, they would have never hired her in her field.

Even today, there are lots of men who are taken aback when the find out she's the boss. Clients want to do the meeting at the local "gentlemans club" and they shut up real fast when they find out who's in charge.

How many females took an interest in engineering? Marilyn Reece was around before 1970. Form and freeway | L.A. NOW | Los Angeles Times

Old 06-19-2017, 12:17 PM

36,519 posts, read 30,847,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
Sounds like preparation met opportunity.
That's what is so confusing because if she didn't get the position "because she is a women". How could feminism be a major factor ?

Organized feminism did not really kick off until the first Women's Conference held in Seneca Falls, America, in 1848.

Feminism has been around for a long time. How is it only in this generation is it being given so much credit ?
Seems there are many other factors being disregarded.
Just because feminism has been around for a long time doesn't mean it has been applied for a long time.
I have seen a lot of change in my life time.
In the '60 jobs were classified as men's jobs and women's jobs. A supreme court ruling made this illegal in 1973.
I can remember employers requiring permission from your husband before hiring a married woman in the 1970's 80's. Jobs available to women were very limited then also.
I began my career in environmental sciences in the 90's. At that time there were few women in the field and God forbid you go in the field with them driving a boat or diving. Today many women hold top administrative positions as well heading field crews. This change happened gradually over 20+ years but the biggest and fastest change has been in the last 10 years.

Old 06-19-2017, 12:26 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,870,989 times
Quote:
How many females took an interest in engineering? Marilyn Reece was around before 1970. Form and freeway | L.A. NOW | Los Angeles Times
How many women would have taken an interest in engineering, if positions were available?

I was a college graduate in 1985. I had a brother who was not. We both submitted applications to a large corporation. When we got our interviews, he was put on the management track, I was put in the secretarial pool. My education and experience counted for nothing. His gender counted for everything. When I told the interviewer that I deserved to be interviewed for management training, I was told, explicitly, that they put men in management because men had to support families, and that as an attractive single woman, I would probably find a husband in no time.

That was reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies