Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2017, 08:43 AM

1,889 posts, read 1,324,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
Please point to an ideology that doesn't have any self-conflict. Wait, you're the guy who thinks it's all good in the Amish community, right?
"God exists" is an ideological statement that isn't self-referentially incoherent.

Proof? https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/r...mpiricism/#1.1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2017, 08:45 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower72 View Post
Really?

Premise 1: Women's self-reported happiness has declined relative to men since the onset of third wave feminism.

Objection 1: Happiness is not empirically measurable or measured in any relevant science. -- Refuted by literature survey.
Objection 2: Correlation-causation fallacy. -- Study design addresses the risks of a spurious correlation.

Premise 2: Amish communities show that it is possible for women to be treated with compassion and respect without most of the socio-economic changes associated with feminism.

Objection 1: Faulty generalization. -- Not a universal generalization, but a modal operation.
Objection 2: Non sequitur. -- Misunderstands concept of an inductive argument.

We haven't even begun with premise 3, and your track record so far as already a little disappointing.
Refuted by literature survey???? LOL

Happiness is subjective, dear. There is no way of getting around it.

The study design does not address the "spurious" correlation in any way, shape or form.

As for your "anecdotal evidence" re Amish communities. First of all, you don't really have any anecdotal evidence, all you have is your opinion of how happy Amish women are. YOUR opinion. To support your argument. Secondly, you then manufacture a reason of why Amish women are happy based on their subjugation by men, and then extrapolate this tenuous reasoning to say that all women would be happier if they were subjugated by men.

Human beings are never happy about being subjugated by others.

Women are human beings.

Therefore women are not happy about being subjugated by men.

Now you may argue that women in the past have accepted being second-class citizens, and some were able to be happy despite that status, but that's not the argument you've been pursuing. Rather, your argument rests on how 50% of the human population for some reason desire to be treated as inferior and incompetent. That is the fatal flaw of your position. And you know it is the fatal flaw because it is exactly members of that segment of the human population who have come on to this thread and told you that they don't desire to be treated as inferior and incompetent.

Old 06-21-2017, 08:45 AM

15,866 posts, read 21,445,747 times
Quote:
Wanderlust, do you get all your ideas about women and feminism from Yutube?
Certainly seems that way.

Living in the Bos-Wash corridor, I could care less about "marrying up" (though I would certainly need to in order to be the stay at home mom that some seem to want me to be). I do, however, expect the men I date to have at least the same level of education as I do. I'm in no way an anomaly in my social and professional circles. And, living in the Bos-Wash corridor, it really isn't that hard to date men with at least a master's degree.

If "all the women" living here are complaining about the lack of men, I'm certainly not seeing it.

Old 06-21-2017, 08:46 AM

277 posts, read 401,574 times
Quote:
I'm still waiting for our little friend to explain in his own words how life will be better for him when we go back to "the 19th century".
The butthurt is strong in this post.

Old 06-21-2017, 08:48 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,040,258 times
I am "butthurt" because I find it ridiculous that some internet random thinks half the population would be better off it we were all Amish? What exactly does "butthurt" mean in this context? My feelings (nor any other part of me) are not hurt because some sad sack fantasizes about a world where women have no power, voice or autonomy.

Old 06-21-2017, 08:52 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,436,538 times
Quote:
I am "butthurt" because I find it ridiculous that some internet random thinks half the population would be better off it we were all Amish? What exactly does "butthurt" mean in this context? My feelings (nor any other part of me) are not hurt because some sad sack fantasizes about a world where women have no power, voice or autonomy.
Boom! (mic drop)

Old 06-21-2017, 08:54 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,801,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Certainly seems that way.

Living in the Bos-Wash corridor, I could care less about "marrying up" (though I would certainly need to in order to be the stay at home mom that some seem to want me to be). I do, however, expect the men I date to have at least the same level of education as I do. I'm in no way an anomaly in my social and professional circles. And, living in the Bos-Wash corridor, it really isn't that hard to date men with at least a master's degree.

If "all the women" living here are complaining about the lack of men, I'm certainly not seeing it.
More women than men go to college because quite often women are doing different jobs and many jobs in academia generally lean towards a Master's. Whereas many jobs men do such as in IT and so on don't. They lean a lot on certifications and short term 1 week seminars and so on.

So if all of the women felt like you, there would be a lack of men hypothetically. Agree?

My point is you're still taking "status" and "labels" into account whereas men, before feminism, didn't. So the problem with modern era self proclaimed feminists is they're hypocrites and they want their cake and be able to eat it to.

Men date down all of the time and many of them have very good jobs. example : the lawyer dates a paralegal in the office down the streeet. If career women want reversed roles they should be doing what men do not trying to work the system and still date or marry like a 1950's woman.

Old 06-21-2017, 08:55 AM

225 posts, read 216,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Refuted by literature survey???? LOL

Happiness is subjective, dear. There is no way of getting around it.

The study design does not address the "spurious" correlation in any way, shape or form.

As for your "anecdotal evidence" re Amish communities. First of all, you don't really have any anecdotal evidence, all you have is your opinion of how happy Amish women are. YOUR opinion. To support your argument. Secondly, you then manufacture a reason of why Amish women are happy based on their subjugation by men, and then extrapolate this tenuous reasoning to say that all women would be happier if they were subjugated by men.

Human beings are never happy about being subjugated by others.

Women are human beings.

Therefore women are not happy about being subjugated by men.

Now you may argue that women in the past have accepted being second-class citizens, and some were able to be happy despite that status, but that's not the argument you've been pursuing. Rather, your argument rests on how 50% of the human population for some reason desire to be treated as inferior and incompetent. That is the fatal flaw of your position. And you know it is the fatal flaw because it is exactly members of that segment of the human population who have come on to this thread and told you that they don't desire to be treated as inferior and incompetent.
It looks like you're going round in circles repeating the same refuted claims over and over again

Old 06-21-2017, 08:56 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,948,599 times
I grew up in the days of the feminist movement. What may have started as an honorable movement has morphed into something that is abhorrent to me, as a woman.

Today's young feminists (for the most part) have lost much of the nurturing, feminine side of their nature, and have become strident, aggressive, foul-mouthed, and man-bashing. It's not pretty, and small wonder they have earned the name 'femi-nazis'.

Old 06-21-2017, 08:57 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,040,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower72 View Post
"God exists" is an ideological statement that isn't self-referentially incoherent.

Proof? https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/r...mpiricism/#1.1

An ideological statement isn't an ideology.

Religions are, though. Which is that one without any self-conflict?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies