Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2017, 01:54 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,965,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
FYI - black Americans are not recently descended of Egyptians. We are primarily descendants of West Africans and Europeans. Also, various cultures of Asians wore earrings.

And I spoke specifically on black American history/culture, meaning here in this land (black people have been here since the 1500s).
Okay, but hoop earrings have been around so long that no one can say who first used them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2017, 01:55 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,965,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
So does this mean that people of West African descent and Latinas have to give up their hoop earrings?
I think it means that anyone who wants to wear jewellery of any style can do so without fear of encroaching on someone else's culture.

Old 06-23-2017, 04:43 PM

783 posts, read 577,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I know and knew what intersectionality is and I also am black and know all black people don't agree all the time and we are not apt to follow 100% this ideology.

If you are black, then why do you think that black people should be blamed for Latinos saying something idiotic about earrings.

And I can accept I am ignorant on the ethnic identity of all posters who have made no comment about what ethnic group they are. Ignorance entails not knowing, and I don't know what you are lol. Just like you don't know what I am.

Point is that a majority of black people (like all people in the world) don't agree with each other on everything and not all black people even know what intersectionality is. They also are not social justice warriors so it was ridiculous of you and the other posters to act like black people are the cause for Latino students saying white girls shouldn't wear hoop earrings.
You keep repeating the same misreading, misunderstanding, and misinterpretation of my original comment that you replied to. Even after I explained to you that nowhere in my original comment did I 'blame' black people for what this person said. I stated that I group all of these (separate) claims of 'cultural appropriation' together. I didn't say that Latinos are making cultural appropriation claims 'because of' (your words) black people. There was no causal relationship in my comment whatsoever. It doesn't matter how many times you keep saying it, it won't make it true.

I don't know what you are, and why would I? You're a random person on the internet. But I also didn't make an assumption about who you are based on my own perceived understanding of what opinions black people 'must' share. The ignorance of the statement isn't just because you don't actually know anything about me. It's also that you believed that you could gauge from my opinions and my disagreement with you that I 'must not be black'. That, by itself, is a completely uninformed conclusion, which makes it an ignorant and even illogical statement. The fact that it was a completely wrong conclusion only illustrates why you should not make such uninformed statements.

And 'the point' is that all of these people (blacks, latino, whatever) who are making these idiotic claims of 'cultural appropriation' have zero right to demand anything of anyone else with respect to how they dress, wear their hair, talk, dance, sing, or anything else that 'triggers' these children. You don't 'own' a culture. You don't own a hair style\method unless you create one of your own and patent it. It's time for the real world to come and hit these idiots upside their heads.

Old 06-23-2017, 06:35 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,773,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
My understanding is that mosaic describes new immigrants seeking people of a similar culture within a new country and more or less transplant their culture to the new country, multi-cultural describes new immigrants who assimilate and adopt the culture and values of the new country. Mosaic is like a quilt where the patches represent cultural groups within one country. Multi-cultural is like sand, where people of different cultures leave the values of their homeland behind.

Do you have a different understanding?
Your idea of the term multicultural doesn't fit with any I have heard before or any dictionary definition I've seen. You seem to have it backwards.

Old 06-23-2017, 08:20 PM

2,768 posts, read 1,586,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post

It's NOT a "race" thing, it's more a "culture" thing.
Exactly.

Just as criticism targeting the black (or any) community is not a race thing, but, a cultural thing.

So, people can drop the race card, now, right?

Old 06-23-2017, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Hispanic ain't a race. Tho it seems like a lot of Spanish speaking Indians like to hide behind that white European culture instead of having pride of being of Aztec, Mayan and so on family.
Why should anyone be proud of his/her race?

What an odd concept.

Old 06-23-2017, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmonburgher View Post
Why should anyone be proud of his/her race?

What an odd concept.
It's pretty natural, and only seems odd when you look at it from an abstract, detached perspective. People feel racial pride for the same instinctual reasons that they feel pride in family, clan or tribe. Races are simply large extended families that are partly inbred.

Old 06-23-2017, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
[Racial Pride] is pretty natural, and only seems odd when you look at it from an abstract, detached perspective. People feel racial pride for the same instinctual reasons that they feel pride in family, clan or tribe. Races are simply large extended families that are partly inbred.
Racial Pride is natural?

Sorry, but, I disagree. I am white. But, were I to proclaim white pride, many would denounce me as a racist.

And why in the world would I be proud of white people? Because white people have invented lots of stuff? Because white people have developed a theory of liberal democracy and personal freedom?

I didn't invent anything, and I did not create or formulate any type of political-social system.

Were I to feel pride in the advances made by white people, would I also be obliged to feel shame at the transgressions of white people?

That's illogical, too, given that I have not taken part in any of the past transgressions committed by white people.

Are you saying that people act on instinct? Racial pride is instinctive?

But, I thought that racial hate was learned?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAZ8yOFFbAc

I thought race was merely a social construct?

Old 06-24-2017, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmonburgher View Post
Are you saying that people act on instinct?
Yes. Yes I am. Not that we are limited to instinctual behavior but it certainly is part of our nature as animals.

Old 06-24-2017, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Yes. Yes I am. Not that we are limited to instinctual behavior but it certainly is part of our nature as animals.
Interesting.

Can you provide a specific example of humans acting on instinct?

I do not agree that pride in one's race is instinctual. I think instead that this is learned.

For the record, I do not think humans are particularly special and agree that we are merely hairless apes... animals, too. So, this is an interesting question, to me, as I cannot think of any instinctive behavior humans perform, despite my agreement that we too are animals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies