Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 01:55 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,105,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Not just camps, but terrorist training camps.
Which, again, were in Kurdish controlled Northern Iraq, outside of Hussein's control. The kurds are also known as our allies.

Not that I ever expect this basic fact to sink in with you, but for anyone else reading...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2008, 02:18 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,392,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
That is what most of us would do but this govt is too afraid to insult anyone. And so we cower down like ants, the very ones used in this scenario. Now the enemy is no longer afraid of us because we are too afraid to fight back.
Wrong,American's aren't afraid to suffer,die or kill but it should be based on truth,just cause and delivered to who deserves it.If we go into Iran next like we did Iraq many people will die,we will try to do the same thing there changing their government based on they might get a nuke and might attack us in the future.

America is great for many reasons,we think it is great for many reasons but understand that while foreigners think America is great for some reasons they don't think its great for all reasons.Not everybody lives like us or wants to.

If you want to bring change to their culture the best way to do it is not interfere in their lives,promote a live and live attitude,and if our culture is that attractive to them then maybe it will change things for them brought on by them.

Yes there is a time for war,but it should be used with great caution and thought.Going after training camps or a leader cozy with them does not warrent taking over a whole country.While we are proud to be American I think sometimes we forget that others are proud of their country also and while many Americans would say "no gawd damn foreigner is going to tell me what to do in my country",we should consider the same for others also.

Old 03-25-2008, 02:31 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,392,840 times
Thinking more about it though I shouldn't have said the soldiers died for nothing.They died protecting each other and protecting civilians they best they could,that's not for nothing.

It's just that nation building is a mission that a military is not designed for to a population with so many differences and who don't want interference.

Old 03-25-2008, 11:48 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,655,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Wrong,American's aren't afraid to suffer,die or kill but it should be based on truth,just cause and delivered to who deserves it.If we go into Iran next like we did Iraq many people will die,we will try to do the same thing there changing their government based on they might get a nuke and might attack us in the future.

America is great for many reasons,we think it is great for many reasons but understand that while foreigners think America is great for some reasons they don't think its great for all reasons.Not everybody lives like us or wants to.

If you want to bring change to their culture the best way to do it is not interfere in their lives,promote a live and live attitude,and if our culture is that attractive to them then maybe it will change things for them brought on by them.

Yes there is a time for war,but it should be used with great caution and thought.Going after training camps or a leader cozy with them does not warrent taking over a whole country.While we are proud to be American I think sometimes we forget that others are proud of their country also and while many Americans would say "no gawd damn foreigner is going to tell me what to do in my country",we should consider the same for others also.
I think you missed my point. Reading the rest of your post I am on your side. What I meant was the govt is so afraid of offending others that we dont fight to win. Going way back to Vietnam, when we were shot at we were not allowed to shoot back to kill. We had to call Washington to ask permission to shoot back. We called that fighting with one hand behind our back.

What I meant was in this politicly correct society we can not fight to win without the fear of offending a specific group of people.

Anyway...everything you said above I do agree with.

Old 03-25-2008, 11:57 PM

24,510 posts, read 33,309,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
Which, again, were in Kurdish controlled Northern Iraq, outside of Hussein's control. The kurds are also known as our allies.

Not that I ever expect this basic fact to sink in with you, but for anyone else reading...
The terrorist training camp Salman Pac, 25 miles southeast of Baghdad, was not in Northern Iraq.

Old 03-26-2008, 04:28 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,654,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I think on 911, we failed to keep them out of the U.S, please tell me how we poked the anthill, or poked the hornets prior to 911..
I'd have to say..."foreign policy".

Old 03-26-2008, 05:33 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,101,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I'd have to say..."foreign policy".
Please tell me what foreign policy we had that affected al-Quada.

Old 03-26-2008, 07:40 AM

11,578 posts, read 13,947,225 times
Quote:
We must not have gotten the memo. The US is suppose to appease the terrorists and follow through with their demands. Shame on us!!

Old 03-26-2008, 10:24 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times
Quote:
Fine, you purge the thoughts from the planners.. but that doesnt exactly get rid of al-Quada does it?

Nor does focusing your assets on one nation while al Qaeda continues to operate in who knows how manu others> 40? 45?

Nor does staging Dog & Pony Shows on the decks of aircraft carriers.

But Dog & Pony Shows are crowd pleasers, aren't they?

Old 03-26-2008, 10:30 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,654,488 times
Quote:
Probably the one that involves the Middle East? Most likely, anyhow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies