Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 06:20 PM

79,902 posts, read 43,911,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
I agree with that. I'd rather see some investment in preventing disease instead of just treating it. Treatment is more expensive than prevention. And a healthy population is good for national security.
I'll listen to that when we get basic coverage for everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2017, 06:24 PM

26,222 posts, read 14,836,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Homeland Security Offers Free Gym Memberships for ICE Employees | TMZ.com

Lets hope this goes across the board.

I'll be honest -- as much as I detest Trump -- this kind of stuff is what I was hoping he would be doing. It isn't a priority it seems and it should be. Cut all the fat and benefits we pay these people.
I agree.

I was very disappointed with the final 2 options and felt sick in my stomach on election morning not knowing if I would vote 3rd party or not.

I ended up voting for Trump assuming that he "might" do these type of things and that he would be held more accountable as people in both parties see him as an enemy.

Old 06-20-2017, 07:39 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,047,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
So why not for everyone on taxpayers funded insurance? Seniors on Medicaid? Everyone on Obamacare?
The private Medicare HMOs where I live offer gym memberships. The Medicaid carriers actually pay pregnant women with free baby stuff and gift cards if they stay compliant with their prenatal care.
It's a lot cheaper to do that than pay a million bucks to NICU for a preemie birth.

Old 06-20-2017, 07:46 PM

79,902 posts, read 43,911,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
The private Medicare HMOs where I live offer gym memberships. The Medicaid carriers actually pay pregnant women with free baby stuff and gift cards if they stay compliant with their prenatal care.
It's a lot cheaper to do that than pay a million bucks to NICU for a preemie birth.
That's cool.

Old 06-20-2017, 09:07 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,086,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
And how many overseas military bases are essential to the defense of the US, the purpose our military should be used for? Why don't we them closing?
Why not both???

Old 06-21-2017, 08:35 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,751,613 times
Quote:
So why not for everyone on taxpayers funded insurance? Seniors on Medicaid? Everyone on Obamacare?
In many areas across the country they do allow free gym memberships for seniors on Medicare and people on Medicaid.

When I lived in Atlanta and worked out at 24hour fitness, the Medicare program for seniors, and them receiving a free gym membership was always advertised at 24 hour fitness.

People should remember that Medicare is not fully administered by the federal government. Neither is Medicaid. The states contract with insurance companies to provide the services to the patients. Different insurance companies offer different benefits to patients and at that time 2 of the Medicare/Medicaid insurance providers offered free gym memberships in an effort to lower the cost of care for the patient population.

Old 06-21-2017, 08:46 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,872,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
So that is about half of a weekend trip to Maralago or a quarter of an Eric Trump business trip.
Yep. Anything to cut benefits for everyone else but Trump himself. And I'm not sure if anyone has actually thought this through, but working out is good for your health. And when a person works out at the gym, they see the doctor less and miss fewer days of work. Gym membership fees are more than compensated by the amount of money saved in medical bills. My medical insurance pays for a free membership too, as do many others.

Old 06-21-2017, 08:47 AM

45,021 posts, read 26,176,076 times
Nothing is free. Either the cost is buried or someone else is picking up the tab.

Old 06-21-2017, 08:52 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,751,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Nothing is free. Either the cost is buried or someone else is picking up the tab.
I agree, which is also why I asked what the EPA is paying UNLV for their employees to use those facilities.

24Hour Fitness may have been cheaper than UNLV for the EPA. But we don't know since they didn't disclose what they are paying UNLV for the Las Vegas employees to use that facility.

Old 06-21-2017, 08:55 AM

25,655 posts, read 21,819,785 times
Quote:
This is fine but what is it? A few hours of bombing?
One has to start somewhere and this was an easy million to save.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Homeland Security Offers Free Gym Memberships for ICE Employees | TMZ.com

Lets hope this goes across the board.

I'll be honest -- as much as I detest Trump -- this kind of stuff is what I was hoping he would be doing. It isn't a priority it seems and it should be. Cut all the fat and benefits we pay these people.
Yep, "cut the pork", the easy stuff to just trim away, those kinds of luxuries the rest of us can't afford yet support for people who make double, triple or more what we make.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Ignoring the cost of our misguided military adventures?
Trimming off the easy to remove pork to begin with. A million dollars saved, let's look at that or does Trump envy not allow you to do this?

Many of our own congress people have complained about "the pork", so what was an issue already is out there and easily trimmed.

Some think it is peanuts, but peanuts add up, just ask me how we have been debt-free since 2000!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies