Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 11:45 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto Jeff View Post

This I would agree with if the teacher was fired for racism rather than for being unprofessional. Reprimand the student, sure. But I don't think she should be expelled.
Never mind. I misunderstood you. :P
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2017, 11:47 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,171,483 times
Quote:
The student's original question was actually valid. She had a point. The student WAS completely wrong in accusing the professor of racism however. Again though, the professor wasn't fired over being racist, because it's clear she wasn't. She was fired over being an idiot and attacking a student in a public forum.
This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_Referee View Post
One must name the specific person in order to attack anyone in a public forum. Otherwise it could be anyone they are speaking about. Maybe, just maybe... had the student not attacked the professor by accusing her of being a racist while naming the professor, she wouldn't feel attacked by the defense launched by the professor against an unnamed student.
One is a student who will eventually find out that certain rants don't belong on a public forum. One is a professional who should already know that lesson. Buuuut, if she didn't already know it, she does now.

Old 06-20-2017, 11:49 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
I think this professor should be given a second chance. Firing her is a little too harsh.

Old 06-20-2017, 11:49 AM

3,617 posts, read 1,821,634 times
There is too much ego in this world. There is too much, "It's all about ME, what "I" want, what "I" demand and to hell with any and everyone else!"

Get over yourself and grow some thicker skin.

When I claim systemic racism in policing and the justice system, I back it up with study after study of empirical data, not some isolated incident of me or someone else being butthurt.

I've said my peace... I'm done here.

Old 06-20-2017, 11:58 AM

1,300 posts, read 1,493,432 times
Why do you believe firing her is too harsh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I think this professor should be given a second chance. Firing her is a little too harsh.

Old 06-20-2017, 11:59 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Do you know why the Daily Mail is reporting it this way? Because the person who contacted them with the story (gee, I wonder who that was....) presented it this way.

You just know the student feels she is responsible for this professor losing her job and is probably gloating about it.

No, dear, you don't have that kind of power. The professor got herself canned.
I eluded to this in an earlier post. Things got out of hand. The best thing to happen would be to have the two meet and talk things out regarding the subject matter and situation (in reverse order).

Now that won't happen.

Both parties made mistakes but the teacher clearly was wrong posting that info on social media.

Old 06-20-2017, 12:35 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
At first blush it might seem that way, but if you think about it, the professor makes the university look bad with her actions. She lacks common sense, which is a huge liability for an institution that can be sued. And if she felt comfortable enough to do this, I doubt it was the first time she did something like this.

We're only getting part of the story, remember, but even if this was a first offense, she exhibited extreme disregard for the student and the institution for which she works.

Zero common sense = lousy employee.

Old 06-20-2017, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
I eluded to this in an earlier post. Things got out of hand. The best thing to happen would be to have the two meet and talk things out regarding the subject matter and situation (in reverse order).

Now that won't happen.

Both parties made mistakes but the teacher clearly was wrong posting that info on social media.

Well, gmta!

I think it's clear that both women are ego-driven, but you're right - the student is allowed to be an idiot and the professor doesn't have that luxury.

Old 06-20-2017, 01:01 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
The really creepy part is how this professor planned to ruin the student's future career prospects once she GRADUATED.

That professor was a nut.

Old 06-20-2017, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Exactly. Another good way to look at this is like an employee-customer relationship (because let's face it, that's all colleges are nowadays, a glorified retail environment for selling knowledge). A customer can get in your face all day screaming at you, but the moment you snap back, you're liable to get fired.
That's a great analogy. Can't lose your cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
The really creepy part is how this professor planned to ruin the student's future career prospects once she GRADUATED.

That professor was a nut.
Yeah, who does that? Talk about vindictive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies