Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2017, 07:23 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Seriously, what is Trump going to do about North Korea? He railed against Obama doing nothing. What is Trump going to do?
It won't be long now before NK has nuclear-tipped ICBMs capable of reaching the U.S. It's now on Trump to prevent that. What is he going to do?
It's easy to sit back and complain about Obama not stopping it. It's a bit different when YOU are responsible for stopping it.

So, now that Trump admits that having China intervene is not working out - what next?

Ken
For now, he's blaming China.

Old 07-30-2017, 07:25 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,100,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Yeah trump has surrounded himself with some pretty scary types and he is none too stable himself
Stable? I have to laugh at that post. Geesuz the world is on fire and you want stability? We need a knight on a horse my friend. You want stable go shopping in the mall. You want to win, go with a Trump.

Old 07-30-2017, 07:41 AM

28,666 posts, read 18,784,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluskyz View Post
I am not so sure China and Russia would not come to NK aid if they were attacked. They must sense that they would give the US a handful with a united effort against us. While this is going on imagine our other enemies in the middle east adding their clout to the fiasco.
In the atmosphere we are in I shudder when our Pres. choses to deride NATO and irritate long time allies. The idea of better relations with Russia is a very important issue also. Think about it carefully. I see sanctions which hurt the Russian citizens more than deter their gov't and creates more tensions between us.

I'm not sure if it could be done, but I have not heard a blockade suggested. I understand they receive most of their goods and domestic necessities from elsewhere. Perhaps if staying alive were problematical they wouldn't be concentrating on making the US a sea of fire, as they have vowed to do. They might want to negotiate and/or they might overthrow the fat kid.
A blockade would require an intention to sink the ships of nations other than North Korea. It would also require seizing the border between North Korea and China and Russia.

Staying alive is already problematical for North Koreans.

In the long run, the US as a whole--not just the politicians and not just the CEOs--must decide if the nation is willing to risk taking one nuke for the sake of South Korea. That's the final point in a nutshell. Unlike the spector of a Warsaw Pact Invasion that would have changed all of Europe or the Domino Theory of a change of all of Asia--clearly things that would have made the world very bad for the US--all the DPRK would ever do is invade South Korea.

In the long run, it's not going to be possible to prevent the DPRK from acquiring nuclear capability to strike the US. But the DPRK is never going to have a USSR-like capacity to destroy the US. That situation would never reach a state of Mutual Assured Destruction. They would have the capacity at worst to kill maybe 250,000 or so Americans before the US glazed them.

But Kim Jong Un is certain that by gaining the ability to hold 250,000 Americans hostage, he will gain the freedom to invade South Korea. That's all he wants. He wants to invade South Korea while holding the US at bay.

So, the question is whether Americans are willing say, "Take your best shot," when the only thing at risk is South Korea.

If we figure that out and make that one thing clear, then everything else falls into place.

Old 07-30-2017, 07:44 AM

45,223 posts, read 26,437,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
Stable? I have to laugh at that post. Geesuz the world is on fire and you want stability? We need a knight on a horse my friend. You want stable go shopping in the mall. You want to win, go with a Trump.
lol sounds like a fairy tail. Stay under your bed, maybe the scary dragon wont see you.

Old 07-30-2017, 07:45 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,760,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
Trump is undecided on how to handle North Korea. I don't know if he has been briefed on it because he never seems to listen to anyone. We don't need a cowboy shooting nuclear weapons off or doing something stupid. Seeing how impulsive he is it is worrisome.
If he were so impulsive, he would have started world war three a long time ago.

This whole situation is very scary. I pray that the US is negotiating with other countries and getting all their ducks in a row for a very large, devastating attack on NK. It's the only way to stop this menace to the civilized world. And I dread the loss of life, both here, in Korea, and anywhere else that is victimized by NK. I'm not an armchair general by any means, but since the sissies we've had for presidents in the past never did anything about it, something must now be done, before it is too late. Appeasement never works.

Old 07-30-2017, 07:46 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,772,641 times
https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2017/07/25/...ng-regime.html

North Korea threatens 'merciless blow' to US as data shows Moscow aiding regime

So Russia is aiding North Korea, who is threatening to nuke us in order to gain leverage from the US.

But sure... let's be friends with Russia.

Old 07-30-2017, 07:49 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
What is Trump going to do about North Korea? (healthcare, Obama, military)
He will tweet and cry about how unfair the media is.

Old 07-30-2017, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2017/07/25/...ng-regime.html

North Korea threatens 'merciless blow' to US as data shows Moscow aiding regime

So Russia is aiding North Korea, who is threatening to nuke us in order to gain leverage from the US.

But sure... let's be friends with Russia.
If true, sounds like blowback for all our meddling in their affairs. Im sure sanctions will ease tensions.
Sounds lik you want another war.

Old 07-30-2017, 08:00 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,879,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Lets say we pull our troops out of the south and ignore the north (unless its to do business). You dont see N Korea threatening Switzerland.
Not even a fair analogy.
There is no doubt in my mind that it is our troops there that have prevented the North from attacking the south.
Why?
Kill our troops and the USA will absolutely jump in and hard. Add to this China will not risk an all out war with the USA. The consequences are simply to high. This forces China to try and make N. Korea behave.

Old 07-30-2017, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Not even a fair analogy.
There is no doubt in my mind that it is our troops there that have prevented the North from attacking the south.
Why?
Kill our troops and the USA will absolutely jump in and hard. Add to this China will not risk an all out war with the USA. The consequences are simply to high. This forces China to try and make N. Korea behave.
are you or your children willing to die to determine the dividing line between N Korea and S Korea?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies