Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2017, 08:20 AM

37,800 posts, read 41,003,240 times

Advertisements

If I was younger, I wouldn't knowingly date a lib. It has less to do with politics and more to do with the type of people they are: Preachy, self back-patting, jumps on every new slogan, feelings-centric, idea-intolerant, baby-murdering, over-emotional weeping Toms who never met someone else's money they didn't like.

Old 06-23-2017, 08:31 AM

39,223 posts, read 27,592,812 times
Those who immediately unfriend you the moment they found out whom you voted are scary. Makes you wonder if they have to rely on prescription drugs to get through the day.

Old 06-23-2017, 12:22 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,839,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I think subconsciously, a lot of people have this us vs them mentality.

In my opinion, Not only does having friends with different outlooks on life enrich you, but it adds value to society as a whole. Promoting friendships between liberals and conservatives, benefits society by increasing “intergroup interactions” which can help people find common ground, rather than simply bleat their positions from opposite corners.

That’s one reason why I’ll maintain the relationships I have with my liberal friends; not because I believe I can change them, but because we provide each other with an alternative portal through which to view certain issues.

This said, a man who knows when to back off is very attractive in my opinion. I don't find the man who always has to say the last word or who has to be right all the time attractive at all. Even on this forum, well, I admit there are a lot of smart posters, but there are a few posters stand out in the crowd. They win debate most of the time (in my opinion), but they RARELY say the last words. They also use a lot of humor in their posts. I wish I can name names. lol
Well said. I agree completely with this post, especially the bolded. A man who has to be right all the time is, ultimately, very insecure, no matter how opinionated, and they're overcompensating.

Old 06-23-2017, 01:51 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,819,047 times
It would depend on the person.

My current spouse and I do not agree on all things politically. He is a Democrat and I'm an independent and I have a lot of conservative leans that he doesn't like. However, I am open minded and knowledgeable about the fact that not everyone will agree on everything all the time.

In dating, I always used to speak to my "friends" regarding politics because I wanted to see where they stood and if they were knowledgeable. I also feel that political conversations expose people's prejudices in various ways.

My current spouse, we have very interesting political discussions, when we do speak about current events and/or politics. Both of us know how to have an intelligent conversation and accept the fact that we are not going to agree 100% on everything. We also know each other's prejudices (FYI everyone has prejudices, people who say they don't are liars lol). So we know what to expect of each other.

Old 06-23-2017, 01:53 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,819,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
If I was younger, I wouldn't knowingly date a lib. It has less to do with politics and more to do with the type of people they are: Preachy, self back-patting, jumps on every new slogan, feelings-centric, idea-intolerant, baby-murdering, over-emotional weeping Toms who never met someone else's money they didn't like.
LOL, I know a lot of liberals and none of them are all of these. Some, maybe, but not all.

And FWIW the bold ones are also characteristics of conservatives.

Old 06-23-2017, 01:57 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,357,575 times
There are probably about 6-8 female anarcho-capitalists worldwide so I'm pretty much stuck dating evil statists.

Old 06-23-2017, 02:03 PM

3,569 posts, read 2,520,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
People who have strong political views can be quite ... combative.

Plus, different people voted Trump for different reasons. For example, I am from California, it doesn't matter whom I voted, George H.W. Bush, won in 1988—is pretty much the last time a Republican would carry California. I voted Trump because he didn't sound like a war Hawk to me. Plus, If I ended up making a wrong decision, then I would admit I made a wrong decision.

I haven't had any "friends" who immediately unfriended me the moment they found out whom I voted. Most of the people I associate with are clear thinking and balanced. They don't play the Divide and conquer game media and politicians play for hundreds of years.
Some political views are strong because some politics are intensely personal. And no national candidate has gone mining intensely personal political issues like Trump has. His statements about Muslims, Mexican immigrants, black people, women, Jews, and the disabled--among others--cross a lot of intensely personal lines. That a potential partner would look past those lines speaks about that partner's fitness.

Even if that's not why someone voted for him, the fact that someone could vote for him in spite of those statements reflects poorly. I'm not a Muslim, but I could never date someone who heard "I'm going to create a database of Muslims" and still supported him. Empathy & values matter in relationships. Just like I would never date someone who supports David Duke, I would never date someone who supports Trump.

Old 06-23-2017, 02:05 PM

39,223 posts, read 27,592,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
Some political views are strong because some politics are intensely personal. And no national candidate has gone mining intensely personal political issues like Trump has. His statements about Muslims, Mexican immigrants, black people, women, Jews, and the disabled--among others--cross a lot of intensely personal lines. That a potential partner would look past those lines speaks about that partner's fitness.

Even if that's not why someone voted for him, the fact that someone could vote for him in spite of those statements reflects poorly. I'm not a Muslim, but I could never date someone who heard "I'm going to create a database of Muslims" and still supported him. Empathy & values matter in relationships. Just like I would never date someone who supports David Duke, I would never date someone who supports Trump.
well, it is okay lol

Old 06-23-2017, 02:45 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,488,605 times
Yes but it's more an issue of extreme vs moderate. I'm moderate and can date cons or lib, and share some values in both parties, but definitely could not date someone on the extremes. And they prob wouldn't want to date me, because I won't get as worked up ("passionate") as they would want or enjoy trash talking any one president as much as they'd want to.

Old 06-24-2017, 08:23 AM

27,558 posts, read 28,652,113 times
I would prefer to date an all-American Trump-supporting woman. Those are the best kind.

However, I would also consider a moderate liberal woman who has balanced views, and as long as she wasn't the mindless Hillary-worshipper/ Trump-basher type.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies