Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 04:37 PM

926 posts, read 673,631 times

Advertisements

I personally avoid discussing politics like the plague while out on a date (or in a social setting), because in the past, I have always come across people that didn't 'approve' of who I voted for and they totally tried to decimate my political stance and tried (and failed miserably) to change my view to theirs.

http://dingo.care2.com/pictures/gree...6373.large.jpg

I do know that this is an important thing to discuss with a potential SO because it's good to know where they stand politically and to find out if you're on the same page as they are. And, if you find out via discussions with them that they're NOT on the same page as you are politically, then there's a decision that has to be made. I'm sure some people have happy relationships with their SO even if they're on the opposite ends of the political spectrum. But I also know that there are many other people who would absolutely NOT date or enter into a relationship with anyone whose political views were the opposite of theirs.

I think this particular aspect of a person (their political view) would be a sad reason to kick them to the curb for. A person would have to really REALLY be into politics tremendously to throw away an otherwise viable and happy (potential) relationship over the fact that the other person's political stance is different from theirs.

Would you say Sayonara to a date or to a person you've been dating for a while that you're really interested in (and that otherwise checks all the boxes that you're looking for in a significant other) just because their political stance is different from yours? Or would you overlook that and continue to date them?

To answer my own question, I'd give it a shot. Heck, life is short as it is and finding someone to love and share your life with is tough enough without throwing politics into the equation.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 06-20-2017 at 09:19 PM.. Reason: hotlinking

Old 06-20-2017, 04:39 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,347,410 times
Yes, because many political values are related to one's personal values and world view. If one doesn't mostly match the other will not either.

My husband and I don't agree on every political matter, but in general we agree.

Old 06-20-2017, 04:42 PM

581 posts, read 456,374 times
Yeah, probably. I consider myself moderate to moderate-conservative so somebody who's extremely far left probably wouldn't gel with me. It's just different philosophies and that usually trickles over into how one lives their personal life. I think there'd be a huge compatibility issue.

Old 06-20-2017, 04:48 PM

926 posts, read 673,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SparklesNShine View Post
Yeah, probably. I consider myself moderate to moderate-conservative so somebody who's extremely far left probably wouldn't gel with me. It's just different philosophies and that usually trickles over into how one lives their personal life. I think there'd be a huge compatibility issue.
So, you're saying that if you met a person that otherwise clicked with you (and you clicked with them) on almost every level, including strong physical/sexual/emotional attraction and everything else was awesome, you MIGHT give them a shot? Or would you most likely dump them because of the part of your post I highlighted in bold?

Old 06-20-2017, 04:57 PM

5,987 posts, read 10,470,434 times
I avoid anyone who is strongly conservative (I also avoid extreme liberals), or strongly religious. I seek balance. We simply won't agree on enough things to be easily compatible, if their views are extreme or lack compassion.

Old 06-20-2017, 05:00 PM

581 posts, read 456,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilFlowers17 View Post
So, you're saying that if you met a person that otherwise clicked with you (and you clicked with them) on almost every level, including strong physical/sexual/emotional attraction and everything else was awesome, you MIGHT give them a shot? Or would you most likely dump them because of the part of your post I highlighted in bold?
I'd give them a shot, but strong sexual attraction doesn't last forever. You need a solid friendship base and shared values to make a relationship successful for the long term. My husband and I don't agree on everything politically, but for the most part we're on the same page. If he was the type of guy protesting and flailing on the ground after the election results, then no, it wouldn't work for me.

Old 06-20-2017, 05:25 PM

777 posts, read 452,514 times
More important than whether we agree or disagree on political issues is the ability to remain respectful in debate. If someone condescends or insults or otherwise continually degrades my character based on my politics, it's not a match.

Old 06-20-2017, 05:31 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,742,544 times
Political views are definitely gonna be a factor into dating someone or not. I'm support BLM, LGBT causes, atheism, and Muslims. I'm just not going to get along well enough with a "blue lives matter" practicing Christian who supports our current president to want to date them. That is fact.

Old 06-20-2017, 05:37 PM

1,065 posts, read 597,725 times
No. If they cannot debate respectfully, then it's not about politics, it means they're immature. However, eventually, with enough time together, they'll realize my viewpoint is more credible. But that's not the intent, it just happens.

Old 06-20-2017, 05:41 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,305,593 times
Of course it would. She's a Republican? Dealbreaker. She supports Donald Trump and his aassociation? Dealbreaker. I don't care how nice she is anyone who supports Trump is someone I don't want to be in my life. No exceptions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies