Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 09:43 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,115,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wambatown81 View Post
Solution? Simple, yet hard. Morality is the solution. People need to view their bodies and minds as a temple, to be kept pure and functional and work to make extraordinary. And also, people need to not be afraid to stigmatize or point out the wrongdoings of people in their community who continually do bad and don't learn from their mistakes. Social ostracism is one of the most effective means to keep unwanted behavior out of our communities. More so oftentimes than legislation. Your neighbor is cheating on their spouse? Someone has been stealing from another? Somebody passes out drunk every night instead of tucking their kids in bed? Ostracize. Judge. Require morality among those who you're in contact with. These days I think people's expectations of themselves and those around them are too low. Afterall, "everybody is equal" right? That crackhead on the street is just as important as the working person who cares for his family right? Puleaase. If everybody is viewed as equal then theres less incentive to be moral and just and great. If we normalize degeneracy and make excuses for it, we'll get more and more of it.
So your solution is to go up to them and tell them to get some morals? Yeah. That'll work. Great plan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2017, 09:58 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,743,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wambatown81 View Post
Solution? Simple, yet hard. Morality is the solution. People need to view their bodies and minds as a temple, to be kept pure and functional and work to make extraordinary. And also, people need to not be afraid to stigmatize or point out the wrongdoings of people in their community who continually do bad and don't learn from their mistakes. Social ostracism is one of the most effective means to keep unwanted behavior out of our communities. More so oftentimes than legislation. Your neighbor is cheating on their spouse? Someone has been stealing from another? Somebody passes out drunk every night instead of tucking their kids in bed? Ostracize. Judge. Require morality among those who you're in contact with. These days I think people's expectations of themselves and those around them are too low. Afterall, "everybody is equal" right? That crackhead on the street is just as important as the working person who cares for his family right? Puleaase. If everybody is viewed as equal then theres less incentive to be moral and just and great. If we normalize degeneracy and make excuses for it, we'll get more and more of it.
Never actually known a person with, say, schizophrenia, have you?

Old 06-20-2017, 10:10 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,786,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
I'm not joking.

I was finishing the repairs on a Bobcat up at Seattle Center and putting my tools away when a woman came over to me She was about 25 to 30 or possibly younger. She was dressed in rags, baggy sweat pants several T-shirts and a sweater. Her hair was crudely cut and a mess. She asked for a cigarette and when I gave her one I looked at her hands. She was white, her hands were so filthy I could not see her skin color. Her neck was filthy too.
I've never seen anyone as bad off as she appeared to be. I asked her what she was doing there and told her she needed to get some help. She was tweaking and couldn't give me a clear answer. She mumbled any replies. After a few seconds she wandered down the sidewalk sat down in front of a tree and started talking to herself.

WTF?

We aren't doing these people any favors allowing them to destroy themselves. That individual would be a beautiful young woman in any society that was in any way capable of taking care of its people and gave a damn at all. I don't think any decent society would allow this.

Sounds like a mental problem which could be alcohol/drug induced.

If we'd stop this damn war on addicts and use the billions to fund rehab and awareness programs, they and we would have far less problems and a far brighter future.

The war on drugs escalation is one of the few things I can't forgive Reagan for doing.

Old 06-20-2017, 10:16 PM

19,020 posts, read 14,198,297 times
Only an "advanced" civilization, under money madness, can support and nurture the drug addled and addicted persons.
A "primitive" society, based on productive hunting / gathering cannot afford to cater to such nonproductive persons.

Old 06-20-2017, 10:26 PM

4,750 posts, read 3,566,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
You weren't in a decent society. Remember you said it was Seattle. Land of liberal zombies. Why didn't you take her home and clean her up and support her. No need to make it someone else's problem when you are the solution.
And yet it is central Ohio, Kentucky, West Virginia, etc that are ground zero for meth, heroin, and fentanyl - - there's your conservative paradise.

Old 06-21-2017, 08:59 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,556,326 times
Quote:
I'm not joking.

I was finishing the repairs on a Bobcat up at Seattle Center and putting my tools away when a woman came over to me She was about 25 to 30 or possibly younger. She was dressed in rags, baggy sweat pants several T-shirts and a sweater. Her hair was crudely cut and a mess. She asked for a cigarette and when I gave her one I looked at her hands. She was white, her hands were so filthy I could not see her skin color. Her neck was filthy too.
I've never seen anyone as bad off as she appeared to be. I asked her what she was doing there and told her she needed to get some help. She was tweaking and couldn't give me a clear answer. She mumbled any replies. After a few seconds she wandered down the sidewalk sat down in front of a tree and started talking to herself.

WTF?

We aren't doing these people any favors allowing them to destroy themselves. That individual would be a beautiful young woman in any society that was in any way capable of taking care of its people and gave a damn at all. I don't think any decent society would allow this.
Um, this was your first time seeing someone like that? I don't see how this is even worthy of starting a thread.

Old 06-21-2017, 09:44 AM

1,300 posts, read 1,493,000 times
Actually, you see more of this when TPTB decide to cut off funding for service that assist people with mental health or addictions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
You'll see more of this as the progressive pro-drug reformers push for more drugs and fewer drug laws.

Old 06-21-2017, 09:46 AM

4,491 posts, read 2,225,152 times
Quote:
You'll see more of this as the progressive pro-drug reformers push for more drugs and fewer drug laws.
Right, because that never existed prior to a handful of states loosening some of their drug laws. That's not a ****ing stupid position to hold at all....

Old 06-21-2017, 09:48 AM

9,742 posts, read 4,493,741 times
Quote:
Progressives? Trump is attempting to exacerbate the opiod crisis. From neutering the FDA to the reduction on Medicaid.

Old 06-21-2017, 09:49 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,531,346 times
Quote:
I'm not joking.

WTF?

Thirty plus years ago, in a supposed "tax saving move" Reagan and the GOP closed down the mental hospitals across the US and put those people on the streets. And that's where they've been ever since, begging and being a public nuisance.

And BTW, whatever happened to those "tax savings?"

Did Reagan’s Crazy Mental Health Policies Cause Today’s Homelessness? – Poverty Insights
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies