Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 06:03 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,443,411 times

Advertisements

I'm not joking.

I was finishing the repairs on a Bobcat up at Seattle Center and putting my tools away when a woman came over to me She was about 25 to 30 or possibly younger. She was dressed in rags, baggy sweat pants several T-shirts and a sweater. Her hair was crudely cut and a mess. She asked for a cigarette and when I gave her one I looked at her hands. She was white, her hands were so filthy I could not see her skin color. Her neck was filthy too.
I've never seen anyone as bad off as she appeared to be. I asked her what she was doing there and told her she needed to get some help. She was tweaking and couldn't give me a clear answer. She mumbled any replies. After a few seconds she wandered down the sidewalk sat down in front of a tree and started talking to herself.

WTF?

We aren't doing these people any favors allowing them to destroy themselves. That individual would be a beautiful young woman in any society that was in any way capable of taking care of its people and gave a damn at all. I don't think any decent society would allow this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2017, 06:06 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,591,580 times
You'll see more of this as the progressive pro-drug reformers push for more drugs and fewer drug laws.

Old 06-20-2017, 06:10 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,120,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
I'm not joking.

I was finishing the repairs on a Bobcat up at Seattle Center and putting my tools away when a woman came over to me She was about 25 to 30 or possibly younger. She was dressed in rags, baggy sweat pants several T-shirts and a sweater. Her hair was crudely cut and a mess. She asked for a cigarette and when I gave her one I looked at her hands. She was white, her hands were so filthy I could not see her skin color. Her neck was filthy too.
I've never seen anyone as bad off as she appeared to be. I asked her what she was doing there and told her she needed to get some help. She was tweaking and couldn't give me a clear answer. She mumbled any replies. After a few seconds she wandered down the sidewalk sat down in front of a tree and started talking to herself.

WTF?

We aren't doing these people any favors allowing them to destroy themselves. That individual would be a beautiful young woman in any society that was in any way capable of taking care of its people and gave a damn at all. I don't think any decent society would allow this.
We store our mentally ill and addicted on the streets.

Old 06-20-2017, 06:13 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
You'll see more of this as the progressive pro-drug reformers push for more drugs and fewer drug laws.
I think you're seeing it because it's always been there but now stigmatized and with no treatment plans in place to help the fragile at risk ones on the threshold of going over the cliff. Even back in the horrid days of sanitariums and insane asylums these people were given some help when discovered mumbling to themselves under a tree.

Those weren't the best days, nor was warehousing them the best solution but it sure beats today's ignoring them completely or throwing them into the profit based penal system that doesn't want them either.

Old 06-20-2017, 06:14 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
We store our mentally ill and addicted on the streets.
Exactly!

Old 06-20-2017, 06:19 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,652,035 times
Quote:
I'm not joking.

WTF?

You weren't in a decent society. Remember you said it was Seattle. Land of liberal zombies. Why didn't you take her home and clean her up and support her. No need to make it someone else's problem when you are the solution.

Old 06-20-2017, 06:23 PM

547 posts, read 506,803 times
See it every single day. You get used to it. The city actually caters to it.

Old 06-20-2017, 06:26 PM

4,996 posts, read 2,444,621 times
Quote:
I'm not joking.

WTF?

In a free society, people make choices. Sometimes bad ones. Sometimes good ones. Often a bit of both.
I would not want to live in a 'nanny state' society. So I accept that some people will destroy themselves...Just as I accept that some people will rise up and becomes someone special..someone who might change all of our lives.

I also believe in second chances.

Old 06-20-2017, 06:30 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,564,537 times
Quote:
I'm not joking.

WTF?

She might have been mentally ill, not a drug user.

Old 06-20-2017, 06:38 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,749,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
She might have been mentally ill, not a drug user.
They're not mutually exclusive.

Many people with mental problems can't stand being in a facility, so they stay on the street and self-medicate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies