Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2017, 06:37 PM
exm

3,722 posts, read 1,781,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
I lived in a District in SW Florida ("hometown" of Rick Scott) where my choices for local elections where Republican A, Republican B, or Independent (Republican Lite)).

NONE of the above. So this is what you people want? I MOVED out of there last February. With these kinds of choices, who needs voter suppression? I've been voting for almost 40 years in a different state. Never saw the likes of this.

You do this, Republicans, and you are taking my vote away from me, just as much as if you prevented me from voting.

Good for you. I live in NY and my votes are DNC/Libs A, DNC/Progressives B, NC/Communist C.

Unfortunately I can't move due to job and family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2017, 07:52 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Contiue reading It then goes on to show that Handel got support to the tune of 18.2 million from

Congressional Leadership Fund 6.2 million
National Republican Congressional Committee 6.0 Million
Other Groups 6.0 million

Ossoff got 7.6 million

Democrat National Congressional Committee 5.0 million
Other Groups 2.6 million

So Handel overall 22.7 million
Ossoff overall 31.2 million

So it is 3 to 2. Not 5 to 1.
So since money buys elections, Ossoff actually won?

As I've pointed out for years now, it's not money.

Old 06-21-2017, 08:10 PM

5,900 posts, read 3,901,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Actually, 2016 WAS the message being sent, as the anti establishment independent candidate...Trump, a republican in name only, was voted in. And you see where we are at --- the entire establishment hates him and wants him out.
That is the fault of the voters. You don't vote in an "anti-establishment" president while also re-electing "establishment" members of Congress with him. Just doesn't work. The Trump voters should have thrown out all the incumbent corporate Republicans, but they didn't. And they wonder why nothing has changed.

Old 06-21-2017, 08:25 PM

5,129 posts, read 2,598,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
Obviously, Ms. Pelosi is a burden to Democrats in many areas of the US of A, especially, I would imagine, the South.

As for the SC 05, I will note that the Republican contender won by some 2,500 votes, so hardly a 'crushing' defeat for the Democrat running for that seat. Voter turnout appears to have been rather poor.
THIS weak logic again.

Their goal was to -win- not get a "close" participation trophy.

Old 06-21-2017, 08:25 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,354,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
So since money buys elections, Ossoff actually won?

As I've pointed out for years now, it's not money.
You should know better than to misquote me. Ossoff lost despite a big expenditure. But the other side expended a great deal of money as well and started out with a big voting block advantage.

Of course elections can be effected by the expenditure of money. Ask poor old Goldwater about little girls with flowers.

If you run a modern Congressional campaign in any remotely competitive district and spend no money you will lose. Will a huge expenditure guarantee a wina? No.

But the availabilty of funding is a factor and at present favors corporate interests. We just had a local election where the local newspaper owned by a billionaire provide the drive to elect an idiot but highly conservative candidate to the LV city council. Only good thing about the candidate is she has a good body and can pose with an AR15 in a bikini.

Old 06-21-2017, 08:35 PM

5,129 posts, read 2,598,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
It is shameful that the Democrats keep losing these 'special' elections. President Donald JOHN Trump has a low approval rating and a high disapproval rating, yet the Democrats can't field qualified candidates, seemingly. I know little about this young man from Georgia, but when I read about that Democratic candidate in Wyoming (the poet, guitar player, etc), I was appalled. Did anyone really think he would do well in such country? Heck, I'm pretty liberal, but if he ran in Texas, I would probably have voted against him.

I will also say that many people recognize that President Trump is not a true representative of the Republican Party. Look at his history. If he is a life-long conservative, then I'm the Easter Bunny. He is unique (and not in a good way).

As such, trying to paint Republican candidates as being a "Trump" will not work. I do not care for Rafael Edward Cruz, the Junior Senator from Texas (born in Canada), but if, next year, the Democratic opponent tries to tie Cruz to Trump, I will ignore it. Cruz tolerates Trump, now, but Senator Cruz is despicable in his own right. Said Democrat must run against Cruz, and not 'against Trump'. Trump will not be running for the Senate seat from Texas, and he will not be running against the House seats next November. Ignore Trump, and focus on principles.
Why exactly are you trying to deflect the topic here to Trump?

Old 06-21-2017, 08:42 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,215,820 times
I actually agree with the OP. Pelosi damages the Democratic Party. Same with Feinstein and the rest of the limousine liberals. The Bernie brand of liberalism is the future of the party, is my prediction.

Old 06-21-2017, 08:58 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,656,546 times
Democrats Have a Severe Problem - Nancy Pelosi - They Can't Win Elections

They aren't trying to win elections.

They are selling Botox

Hate without the wrinkles.

Old 06-22-2017, 12:08 AM

32,065 posts, read 15,067,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I think The People are tired of being dictated to by the Dems. Many have questioned the achievements under Obama and many are still shaken by the campaign of Hillary. She really dug her feet in when it came to crushing the middle class and calling people deplorable still rings in their minds. What we have been seeing coming out of the Left and their never ending attacks on Trump has also left a terrible taste for the Democrat party.

I think they are going to lose even more until they can get back on the high road and work towards a positive future for America. The negativity is draining everyone.

Honestly, the people in this country are losing. Democrats are trying to protect seniors, the middle class and the poor. Republicans are only out to protect the 1 percent. Let's see the secretive health care plan where it's only white men republicans negotiating it. It will hurt everyone but the rich. But keep voting for them since you seem to be part of the 1 percent.

Old 06-22-2017, 02:07 AM

33,316 posts, read 12,534,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
While a sad and pathetic commentary, IMO, that guy is not emblematic of Trump supporters...no matter how much SOME progressives on CD might think so (and I say that as someone who didn't vote for Trump). As much as I don't want to, I have to give you your due re that link. Hilarious. He obviously can't shower wearing the hat, but I'm surprised he also takes it off to sleep. His wife must take their marriage vows quite seriously. The funniest things about the story are his wife saying that the hat smells like an actual t*rd, and that he doesn't even take it off during s*x. Those run just ahead of his statement about Islamic men not letting the women in their lives make choices, and then citing his wife making the choice to stay home with their kids at his repeated urging (not being intelligent enough to see the contradiction). After getting married, actors Melissa Gilbert and Timothy Busfield moved from California to that town (Howell, Michigan...Busfield is from Lansing, which is about 30 miles away). They probably wish the hat guy would take his family and leave....they've lived there for an even shorter period of time that Gilbert and Busfield, and the woman the Trump hat guy has the beef with has lived in that town for almost 20 years...since her early teens. I love that woman's response re the hat guy as well..."Who?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies