Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 11:38 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Worked in a factory with black, white and Asian people. The blacks seemed to be the most racist.
I'd like to know how just from a curiosity perspective.

I'll also note that I do feel that black Americans, in general, are much more apt to have discussions about race versus other demographics and that black Americans, in general, are also not as shy as other groups about speaking about their prejudices and perceptions of other groups and how those groups treat them.

Plus, like I stated earlier many blacks in America have a negative bias against themselves as black people in this country. So they say racist things about black people and treat black people in a racist manner. This was something that was very common when I lived in the south in particular and something that made me decide that I would not permanently stay in the SE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2017, 11:48 AM

19,722 posts, read 10,128,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Given an example of the racism of blacks that you witnessed.
Continually called whites names like cracker, ****** etc. Black foreman gave whites and Asians the worst jobs.

Old 06-21-2017, 11:55 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
I am not one for subterfuge. America has definitely made much, much progress in regards to race and I would not trade the way things are today, racially, for how they were 50 years ago. However, I think America wants to be seen as being past the issue of race without really having EARNED that distinction yet. Thus, anytime people bring up the issue of its existence, people get defensive and uncomfortable. We live in a world of willful deception and denial about many things, race being one of them. Truth and the light, therefore, is seed as divisive because it angers people who are in denial and or deceit. Watch how anyone who is telling or living a lie responds to someone who exposes their truth. Truth is only divisive when their is deceit. Truth and deceit are opposing forces.

With that having been said, I read two post recently where the poster prefaced his comments by saying they are not racist, followed by noting their friends of the race they were about to make negative comments about (based upon statistics....of course). What people rarely discussed or brought to focus in the Dylan Roof situation was his black friend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtM_5xC9fvk

Today, people, especially young people, have friends of different races. Having friends of different races IS A GOOD THING. That is how it should be in a multi-racial and cultural society. That is what we should be aiming at. However, in no way does having friends of different races means that such people are free of racism in their minds or hearts. I mean, many men are sexist and believe that women are inferior......yet love and marry women. Of course, women have something that men NEED and have not choice but to form relationships with them, but the point is that "isms" don't prevent close relationships in normal cases of "ism". Now, in extreme cases it does, but people have always found exceptions to their rules.

The Dylan Roof black friend thing is a bubble buster.
Yeah. We know this. And.................what? You're just lecturing? You want us to take action? What do you want people to do? According to you, everyone who is white is a racist ass, so what, exactly, are you asking anyone to do? You think a post on City Data is going to make people stop being racist? People aren't allowed to talk about their "multi cultural friends", but now you say it's good that they have "multi cultural friends".

Face it. No matter what anyone says or does, you will always view white people as racist. So what's your point.

Old 06-21-2017, 11:57 AM

7,520 posts, read 2,810,168 times
Frankly I do not care what color you are. Content of your character is what it is all about.

Old 06-21-2017, 11:58 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I am 6'1" tall, and some of my best friends are short people.
Heightest. You're secretly heightest even if you have short friends, and don't you forget it.

Old 06-21-2017, 12:03 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,709,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I agree with this whole statement, but will flip the script, as a black woman, that oftentimes black people say the same things about themselves. That they are "different" or "good" or "better" than those "other blacks" or "ghetto blacks" or "hood rats."

It is one of the reasons why I believe intra-racially that the inferiority complex that many black people have is basically them being racist against their own selves and demographic and is the biggest "issue" facing black America.

The ideology of black inferiority, that a large amount of all Americans have, is not going away any time soon IMO. I agree with Indentured Servant that inter-racial relationships and the wishy washy stuff that many Millenials and now Gen Z (post Millenials) say does not prove that racism is declining at any substantial rate. I do think it has declined as well, but I don't think that the younger generations are all that much better than Gen X in particular.
The people that I hear directly putting black people down the most........is black people. The people who put black people down the most, indirectly, are conservatives. Hence, when people talk about blacks being more racist against whites than whites are racist against blacks, I think..."if they only knew". I cannot tell you how many times I go to a retail cashier and the black cashier treats the white people friendlier. Its like now most black people see each other as rivals. In the past you could be somewhere way out and see another black person and they would ALWAYS speak or acknowledge you. Now, many times they seem to make an effort to not even make eye contact....or to look all screw face.

Old 06-21-2017, 12:05 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,709,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
Frankly I do not care what color you are. Content of your character is what it is all about.
That is true, but how long does it take to determine content of character? When people have to make quick judgement, they can't see character, so they grasp hold of race or other to pass judgement. When you hear about people living in the inner-city, you cannot see their character, but many pass judgment notwithstanding.

Old 06-21-2017, 12:14 PM

13,898 posts, read 6,446,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
I knew someone very well who would say she wasn't racist but she said some terribly racist things.

She once said that she noticed the Black people had chips on their shoulders since Obama got the Democratic nomination. WHAT? I was stunned.

This woman had issues dealing with service staff -- everything from waiters to hair stylists. I think her insecurities made her defensive. I had been with her at a restaurant where she accused a waitress of being rude and she wasn't at all. I tried to discuss it with her and she was adamant that the waitress was rude to her. I don't know what she wanted the lady to do...lol.

She had people she knew of color and she didn't see them as 'those Black' people. But boy did she make generalizations about the Black race.

For me it is usually a red flag when someone says I'm not racists because...or I'm not sexist because I treat my wife well.....nah...I need to talk to your wife -- lol.
What your friend said wasn't racist at all.

Old 06-21-2017, 12:28 PM

1,940 posts, read 1,028,995 times
Black, Indian, Lesbian. Its hard to keep an open mind when people are attacking you. I know what different groups go through so I do my best to let it roll off and let it go. Its getting harder though after you get burned too many times.

I have five sisters so people degrading women have five strikes against them right off the bat.

Old 06-21-2017, 01:29 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Heightest. You're secretly heightest even if you have short friends, and don't you forget it.
Love it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies