Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2017, 12:20 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,496,023 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
Outstanding!
It's what they want...

They want to forfeit freedom and liberty for comfort. They shall recieve neither.

I don't understand the logic in their arguments all I hear and see are tirades and when all else fails, fall back to school shootings. Revert to fear.

1 up them on school shootings and ask why there are no armed hall monitors/teachers, and how come the Loomis/Brinks armored truck has armed guards... crickets.

1 up them on tragedies that occur in the home...

Crickets.

That's all you'll get. Ignore the facts and just throw blind emotion.
If I was terrified of hurricanes, would I move to Florida? Nope. Good thing I'm not terrified of hurricanes.
If I was terrified of earthquakes would I move to California? Nope. I don't move to a liberal oasis that restricts freedom, politics aside I'd still move there.
If I was terrified of driving in snow would I have lived in NY for 28 years? Nope.
If I was terrified of the dark would I live in a rural area without spotlights? Nope. Yard would probably be light up with flood lights or I'd live in a city.

Look at history and current events every time a populace was disarmed and see how well it works.

Venezuela. Nazi Germany. China with Mao. Native American tribes. Lay down your weapons we'll protect you

Then throw the argument-you don't need guns. You have police who have guns!
In the next breath
POLICE are homicidal racist death squads with guns.

Which is it?
One accusation cancels the other...

Never mind the fact most of that first argument of having police are from folks who live in city/urban areas with higher concentration of police and lower response times than rural areas. Where I lived in NY average response time for 911 be it police EMT or fire, 27 minutes.

Think about that, 27 minutes.

27 minutes to deal with a home invasion, domestic violence, a fire, a slip and fall/heart attack.

You mean to tell me you expect a bad guy to sit still and wait 27 minutes for police to arrive? Or a drunk husband to beat his wife to death? F that. Should be everyone's right to defend and arm themselves as they see fit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2017, 12:48 PM

19,718 posts, read 10,118,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post

27 minutes to deal with a home invasion, domestic violence, a fire, a slip and fall/heart attack.
Not any better here in rural Missouri. I take some classes at a college that is at least a 15 minute response, if the police will go because it is actually outside the city limits. The county, at times, has only one deputy on for the whole county so he can be 40 miles from here. And we are not allowed to be armed. The security guard/janitor is a former cop, but they won't let him carry either. His gun has to be left in his truck. So, some of us take a chance and carry concealed. We would be permanently kicked out if caught.
I have a police scanner and have seen police response in town be 10-15 minutes.

Old 06-23-2017, 03:24 PM

19,836 posts, read 12,096,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"All I ever said was that grown up gun owners who leave loaded weapons out where a kid has access and the kid kills themselves or somebody else should be put under the jail."

You are entitled to your OWN opinion and ONLY yours.

Thank goodness many people do NOT agree with you.

Eat THAT!
Where would you like to put the parents of child gang members who keep loaded guns in their homes, or whose kids kill other kids?

*my apologies, I misquoted you when I meant it to go to Crone, whom you had been addressing.

Last edited by shadowne; 06-23-2017 at 03:46 PM..

Old 08-03-2017, 06:31 AM

937 posts, read 699,393 times
How do you respond to a extremist reply like this? Note the text in bold;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I have an "assault rifle" in my trunk this morning. I'm going to the range after work. It's a 7.62x39 KS-47. A thing of beauty.

The key here is that "need" has no place in the argument. I'm entitled by natural right to my firearms, just as much as we are all entitled to speak our minds. None of the rights guaranteed by the Constitution take precedence over others. None have to be justified by need. I want my guns. I want to carry my guns. The fact that a certain political ideology doesn't like it means nothing.

My solution? Figuring out the "gun violence" issue is not my problem or my expertise. We elected people to deal with those types of issues, within the framework of our legal system. In other words, our politicians must respect all laws, including the 2nd Amendment, when figuring out how to handle society's problems. Maybe if they actually enforced the laws already on the books, we'd see results. But again, not my issue to fix.

Old 08-03-2017, 06:47 AM

5,660 posts, read 5,087,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post
Where do you see an extremist view here? Unless the man is banned from owning firearms due to past criminal activity, or due to mental health issues, he is perfectly within his rights to keep firearms as long as they are properly and safely stored when not in use. And he's headed to the range. I typically have a loaded 9mm handgun with a 17-rnd magazine in my car console and am authorized by the court to carry it (or any other handgun I choose) in a concealed manner when out and about. I sometimes have an AR with 20 loaded 30-rnd magazines in my vehicle if I'm going to the range after work.

Old 08-03-2017, 06:55 AM

937 posts, read 699,393 times
I, I, I, aka me, me, me.

No one else is important. An adolescent would talk like that. Clear macho power trip, lack of toy guns when he was a kid. When someone breaks into your vehicle, then what?

Old 08-03-2017, 07:02 AM

5,660 posts, read 5,087,209 times
Quote:
I, I, I, aka me, me, me.

No one else is important. An adolescent would talk like that. Clear macho power trip, lack of toy guns when he was a kid. When someone breaks into your vehicle, then what?
What makes you think I or anyone else cited thinks than others are not important? My vehicle is kept secure during the day in what I feel is a safe area. Of course there are no absolute guarantees, but I have no reasonable expectation to think there's a reason it would be broken into, so it's not a "when" but a slight chance of "if".

I also keep a loaded gun in my nightstand. My child knows it's there. My way of dealing with this has been to teach her early and properly about gun safety, and she knows the proper handling, use and care of weapons. She's 10 and has two of her own - one single shot and one AR-style semi-auto with 25-rnd mags. (Living in NY, does that get your panties in a knot? )

Old 08-03-2017, 07:07 AM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy
I have an "assault rifle" in my trunk this morning. I'm going to the range after work. It's a 7.62x39 KS-47. A thing of beauty.

The key here is that "need" has no place in the argument. I'm entitled by natural right to my firearms, just as much as we are all entitled to speak our minds. None of the rights guaranteed by the Constitution take precedence over others. None have to be justified by need. I want my guns. I want to carry my guns. The fact that a certain political ideology doesn't like it means nothing.

My solution? Figuring out the "gun violence" issue is not my problem or my expertise. We elected people to deal with those types of issues, within the framework of our legal system. In other words, our politicians must respect all laws, including the 2nd Amendment, when figuring out how to handle society's problems. Maybe if they actually enforced the laws already on the books, we'd see results. But again, not my issue to fix.
MY response is, how does the Palmetto compare to a Century Zastava N PAP?

Old 08-03-2017, 07:07 AM

46,278 posts, read 27,088,282 times
Quote:

You go in your mommies basement and cry....curled up in the fetal position....

And it's not extremist, people do this all the time....

Hell, back when I was in high school, 1986-88....we carried our rifles/shotguns in the back window....

Many schools taught marksmanship.....

Old 08-03-2017, 07:09 AM

Quote:
I, I, I, aka me, me, me.

I keep an AR and spare mags in my truck.
I'll give you 100 bucks if you can find it.
1000 if you can take it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies