Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 12:53 PM

4,882 posts, read 5,011,495 times

Advertisements

1.7 million? I think that number is kind of low.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2017, 12:53 PM

78,339 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
OP, the link you provided for the text of your message doesn't source any of the figures it quoted. Can you back up those figures with an actual source for them?
I found this that indicates from a pretty good source about 2100 accidental shootings annually to those <21 years old.

So right there it blows up the OP's claim because the subset of that number to fit their claim is going to drop it pretty drastically because it's going to have hunting accidents, shooting range accidents, pretty much any accident occurring outside a home and also is going to include a host of illegal gun ownership.

Nearly 10,000 American children are injured or killed by guns every year | MSNBC

With that being said, the annual number of accidental child shootings at a home with legal gun ownership where this law\initiative would have any impact is going to be a fairly tiny percentage of the overall gun issue.

Now sure, if people want to ask that's their right but seems like a lot of legislation that isn't going to really fix anything major and presenting it like the OP did as somehow saving thousands a year is a complete disconnect from reality.

Old 06-21-2017, 12:57 PM

78,339 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbaxter View Post
Again, why should they be forced to?
LOL because if everyone is forced to do it, you'll likely save the lives of a tiny percentage of kids just like under the proposal put forth in the OP's first post.

But now that the requirement is aimed at you with a minimal impact towards the real problem, you seem to balk?

Old 06-21-2017, 01:00 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post

Times have changed and the lure of guns is great or is it that kids have lost their respect for parents rules?
The "lure of guns" is one of the key things here. I know many parents with older kids that have access to weapons. Those kids have been thoroughly taught how to use them with a strict set of rules for their use. e.g. if they touch that gun out of the presence of Mom or Dad they better have a damn good reason for doing it. If you ask them if they want to go shooting the answer is likely no because there is no lure, they are bored with it. They rather go play basketball or whatever.

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
According to the National Survey on Drug Use and Health (NSDUH), 21.5 million American adults (aged 12 and older) battled a substance use disorder in 2014. Over 7 million Americans in 2014 battled a drug use disorder, per NSDUH.

I could post stories for you all day long of beaten, abused, murdered, neglected, starved children who live in households with druggies. But hey - the cry goes out to legalize all drugs. Do you see the stupidity of it all?
Don't get me started.

All the kids I've seen sold to pedos by their druggie parents...

8,224 posts, read 3,494,176 times
Quote:
You gunners are so funny. I'm supposed to teach all my kids how to be around gun owners. How about if I decided that you needed to teach all your kids how to behave around something you disagreed with? Bet you'd howl a different tune. LOL!
Why are you demanding that I alter my lifestyle to fit around you peculiarities?
I'll do you one better.

I want you to delete your post.
Then I want you to take a standardised ELA safety course to get your grammar and spelling up to safe standards.

Then. I want you to march down to your shrink and have a full psychological evaluation to prove you are of sound mind to make the statements you seek to make.

Once approved. I want you to go to your local police department if you're in NY, get the forms needed to apply to use your 1st ammendment rights, obtain character witnesses and then pay the 90 dollar permit fee.
Once you've been approved, your permit to speak shall be good for a period of 5 years with renewal mandatory. If you seek to talk about certain hot button topics, or topics that you find interesting, you must make sure your words comply to NYS feature guidelines, otherwise you are a felon worse than a child molestor for having fear inducing features of assault words. Especially if you plan to rapid response in this thread or any other thread pertaining to the 2nd ammendment.

Then you are limited to 10 posts per day but only at a certain location, any where else is 7. Get caught exceeding 7 outside of these certain locations it's a felony for you worse than a felon.

And don't you dare make any threatening words in text or vocal. And it must be heard at a deafening decibel rate because if it's silent your words could really do some damage without its location being tracked.

I just infringed on your 1st ammendment right no different than NY state did my 2nd.

Old 06-21-2017, 01:10 PM

5,752 posts, read 2,779,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Not one person said you have to teach your kids how to be around gun owners. If you don't want guns, fine with me. Wait for the police to get there....keep waiting....they'll get there eventually...soon....is that the door handle rattling on the bedroom closet that you're hiding in? Ooh boy, well, the good news is, the police will be there soon...not to worry...rattle, rattle...

The 2nd Amendment is our right. You have chosen not to exercise that right. Well....congratulations? Other people have chosen to exercise that right. It is not a right granted to us by the government, it is our right simply because we are alive and American citizens. The end.

How we store anything in our house, arrange our furniture, what we have, what we don't have, what colors we choose, what rooms are where, etc is none of your business. You don't have the right to dictate...and that is what it is...DICTATING...you know, like a DICTATOR, the very thing that many on the left accuse Trump of trying to be so surely they would NEVER TRY TO DICTATE TO ANYONE ELSE...what goes on in my house.

If there are kids in the house and they are not starving or being abused, you keep your big nose out of other peoples business, and they won't bother you while you wait for the cops to save you. Feel free to look up average response times. Better run that "intruder drill" often so the kids know what to do...where will they hide? How long do they have before the intruder finds them and breaks down the door? Did they lock themselves in a room or closet with no other exit than the door the intruder will kick down? Oh the dog? Have you ever had a random stranger test that dog with a steak, just to see if it would still "protect" you? Your alarm system? Easily bypassed. Hope your battery on your phone isn't dead. You do keep it charged, right? We know so many who don't. Had a talk with your neighbors yet? What's the code when you run to their house for safety at 3 in the morning? You didn't think about that? Better get to it....the cops may not get there in time...more than likely, they won't. So what will you use? A broom stick? Golf club? Maybe a stern warning that you've called the cops?

Nope. We won't bother you while you set up and run your drills.
No, actually several posters did imply that it was my duty to train my kids to be around guns. That being said, you live in a whole lot of fear. I don't live that way and I don't teach my kids to live fearful either.

Old 06-21-2017, 01:11 PM

5,752 posts, read 2,779,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
I'll do you one better.

I want you to delete your post.
Then I want you to take a standardised ELA safety course to get your grammar and spelling up to safe standards.

Then. I want you to march down to your shrink and have a full psychological evaluation to prove you are of sound mind to make the statements you seek to make.

Once approved. I want you to go to your local police department if you're in NY, get the forms needed to apply to use your 1st ammendment rights, obtain character witnesses and then pay the 90 dollar permit fee.
Once you've been approved, your permit to speak shall be good for a period of 5 years with renewal mandatory. If you seek to talk about certain hot button topics, or topics that you find interesting, you must make sure your words comply to NYS feature guidelines, otherwise you are a felon worse than a child molestor for having fear inducing features of assault words. Especially if you plan to rapid response in this thread or any other thread pertaining to the 2nd ammendment.

Then you are limited to 10 posts per day but only at a certain location, any where else is 7. Get caught exceeding 7 outside of these certain locations it's a felony for you worse than a felon.

And don't you dare make any threatening words in text or vocal. And it must be heard at a deafening decibel rate because if it's silent your words could really do some damage without its location being tracked.

I just infringed on your 1st ammendment right no different than NY state did my 2nd.
None of that addressed my point.

Old 06-21-2017, 01:13 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,004,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
<<In America, one out of three homes with children has a gun, and nearly 1.7 million children live in a home with a loaded, unlocked gun. Every year thousands of kids are killed and injured as a result. The ASK (Asking Saves Kids) Campaign promotes a simple idea with the potential to help keep kids safe. It encourages parents to ask if there are unlocked guns in the homes where their children play>>

ASK Day: A gun safety question that haunts one grieving mom - TODAY.com

I wonder how many parents ask and then bar children from homes of friends if told the house has unlocked, let alone loaded, guns in the house.

Only 27 states have laws to limit child access to guns.

Child Access Prevention | Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence

Remarkably, only three states require locked firearms if a household resident, such as a felon, is ineligible to own a gun.

Safe Storage & Gun Locks | Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence
Yes. I routinely kept a loaded weapon in my home. My daughters knew not to play with them. I took them hunting and I taught them gun safety. They knew they were not toys and they saw first hand what they could do to a deer, much less their friend or family member if they played with them.

Old 06-21-2017, 01:16 PM

19,717 posts, read 10,109,755 times
Quote:
None of that addressed my point.
Someday, your kids will be 18,19 years old. Away from home. Around someone who has a gun and they will have zero knowledge of gun safety, that is the type that gets hurt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies