Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 01:35 PM

13,303 posts, read 7,870,141 times

Advertisements

Lithium is anti-schitzo crazium.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2017, 01:41 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,781,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Tesla is a growing company with it's profits going into capital expenditures....

Tesla said it had $4 billion of cash on hand as it headed into the second quarter and expects year-to-date capital expenditures to be slightly over $2 billion by the time it starts Model 3 production - within its previous targeted range of $2 billion to $2.5 billion.

Tesla More Than Doubles Revenue, But Widens Losses | Fortune.com
Per your article in the link.....Tesla hasn't made any "profits". Only Losses.

Quote:
Record deliveries helped Tesla boost its revenue to $2.7 billion in the quarter, but a net loss net widened to $330.3 million from $282.3 million a year earlier, largely driven by its SolarCity acquisition.
& this is while Tesla is being subsidized by the Feds. (who may or may not continue subsidizing). But Tesla absolutely will be fine as long as people continue to buy their stock.

Regarding Stock Value: In the link above, it was indicated that the stock "value" of Tesla is now greater than GM. (even though GM sells 10 million cars a year vs. Tesla's less than 100K cars per year). This kind of reminds me of when in 1999, the value of the Router company Cisco was worth more than the entire GDP of France. (Cisco dropped 90% the next year.)

Old 06-21-2017, 01:48 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,093,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hound 109 View Post

& this is while Tesla is being subsidized by the Feds. (who may or may not continue subsidizing). But Tesla absolutely will be fine as long as people continue to buy their stock.

Regarding Stock Value: In the link above, it was indicated that the stock "value" of Tesla is now greater than GM. (even though GM sells 10 million cars a year vs. Tesla's less than 100K cars per year). This kind of reminds me of when in 1999, the value of the Router company Cisco was worth more than the entire GDP of France. (Cisco dropped 90% the next year.)
Wow, you really don't like innovation do you? Or do you not like innovation because it could potentially be contrary to the conservative/republican agenda? Would you really cut off your own nose to spite your face?

Green renewable energy is now being made cheaply (as in competitive with natural gas), and getting cheaper. The long term effects of which are not known, but the potential to rebuild our infrastructure and actually put some planning into it a la our interstate highway system is there.

Old 06-21-2017, 02:10 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,781,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augiec View Post
Wow, you really don't like innovation do you? Or do you not like innovation because it could potentially be contrary to the conservative/republican agenda? Would you really cut off your own nose to spite your face?

Green renewable energy is now being made cheaply (as in competitive with natural gas), and getting cheaper. The long term effects of which are not known, but the potential to rebuild our infrastructure and actually put some planning into it a la our interstate highway system is there.
Nothing in my post indicated that I "don't like innovation".

I posted two facts (which corrected someone's statement about "profits") and an anecdote regarding Stock Price run ups.

I have no dog in this hunt (except for maybe my tax dollars subsidizing Tesla...but let's forget about that for minute, I'll consider that an "investment in innovation"). But I do see some serious hypocrisy in Hollywood celebrities taking private planes to Europe in order to lecture me on conservation.....& I'm also able to make an observation that it appears that some people are slapping themselves pretty hard on the back (& other people are buying stock because of it) when the company hasn't shown a profit yet. (& in fact they are LOSING money on every vehicle sold.)

I once gave my son $40 to buy provisions for a lemonade stand. He came back later & bragged that he "Made $30" that day. I had him cut the yard to make up for the $10 that he lost. I'm sure all the while he was grumbling about my "conservative/republican agenda" that I was forcing him to learn about.

Anybody want to buy some Tulips?

Old 06-21-2017, 05:35 PM

5,277 posts, read 2,800,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
The claim is based on an estimate of the amount of electricity needed to build a battery.
By that measure the article should have compared with the amount of electricity needed to build a conventional car, and the total environmental footprint of both cars over their life-spans.

"The calculation is based on the assumption that the electricity mix used in the battery factory consists of more than half of the fossil fuels."
But how much of the electric power to charge the battery comes from fossil fuels?

Until the power to charge electric cars comes from renewables like wind and solar there is very little to gain from electric vehicles. This said, they can decrease pollution in urban centers. Places like Manila where buses trucks and vans never leave the metro area and belch black soot would be great to replace.

Old 06-21-2017, 08:02 PM

42 posts, read 17,888 times
Quote:
Nothing in my post indicated that I "don't like innovation".

I posted two facts (which corrected someone's statement about "profits") and an anecdote regarding Stock Price run ups.

I have no dog in this hunt (except for maybe my tax dollars subsidizing Tesla...but let's forget about that for minute, I'll consider that an "investment in innovation"). But I do see some serious hypocrisy in Hollywood celebrities taking private planes to Europe in order to lecture me on conservation.....& I'm also able to make an observation that it appears that some people are slapping themselves pretty hard on the back (& other people are buying stock because of it) when the company hasn't shown a profit yet. (& in fact they are LOSING money on every vehicle sold.)

I once gave my son $40 to buy provisions for a lemonade stand. He came back later & bragged that he "Made $30" that day. I had him cut the yard to make up for the $10 that he lost. I'm sure all the while he was grumbling about my "conservative/republican agenda" that I was forcing him to learn about.

Anybody want to buy some Tulips?
If your son can't do simple arithmetic, doesn't that reflect on his parents? Oh wait, I'm sure you will blame it on the big bad educational system your son is a moron.

Old 06-22-2017, 03:19 AM

33,536 posts, read 37,140,220 times
Quote:

Sorry, but I don't think you understand the difference between capital acquisitions and losses....A company grows by investing profits to expand the business....That means the net worth of the business increases.... I ran a corporation from 1979 until last year, so obviously I know a hell of a lot more than you do about profits and losses.

In the last month, Tesla’s market cap has soared 23% to $49.3 billion, sending the electric vehicle maker well past Ford to become America’s second-most-valuable car company. The Palo Alto-based outfit now trails domestic leader General Motors by a mere $1.2 billion.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/noahkir.../#6527d441271d

Old 06-22-2017, 04:01 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
I call em fake cars because they wouldnt exist without taxpayer subsidies
Would GM and Chrysler exist if we hadn't bailed them out and lost billions on them?

Old 06-22-2017, 04:03 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spillerNburr View Post
Tesla is a house of cards. Its never made a profit and will be out done by existing car company. The left just can not handle the truth.
This may be the dumbest post in the thread. Thinking this is some sort of left/right issue. You are going to be against this because you see it as some "lefty" issue? That is the dumbest reason to be against something.

Also, see my question above.

Old 06-22-2017, 05:07 AM

937 posts, read 699,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
I call em fake cars because they wouldnt exist without taxpayer subsidies
Then what do you call the Military Industrial Complex? The biggest waste of tax dollars possible with the least results.

What a lame post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies