Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 08:21 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,325,731 times

Advertisements

I love the threads here on CD about how Trump's agenda is falling apart, his administration is in freefall and everything is going to hell in a hand basket. Yet some of the smarter minds on the progressive side of the fence are watching in alarm as libs and the media obsess over the Russian fairy tale while Trump just keeps churning away and getting things done.

From The Nation, By Katrina vanden Heuvel -

"One of the great ironies of the political moment is that President Trump’s sworn enemy has become, if not exactly an ally, an enabler of his agenda. For all of Trump’s griping about “fake news,” the mainstream media’s prevailing focus on palace intrigue and White House scandals has come at the expense of substantive policy coverage, allowing Trump and the Republican Party to advance harmful, hugely unpopular policies without the scrutiny they deserve."

https://www.thenation.com/article/on...ice-continues/

Just an editorial note...these are hugely unpopular with the progs. I'm quite pleased with the direction this country has taken.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2017, 08:56 AM

10,525 posts, read 6,157,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
I love the threads here on CD about how Trump's agenda is falling apart, his administration is in freefall and everything is going to hell in a hand basket. Yet some of the smarter minds on the progressive side of the fence are watching in alarm as libs and the media obsess over the Russian fairy tale while Trump just keeps churning away and getting things done.

"One of the great ironies of the political moment is that President Trump’s sworn enemy has become, if not exactly an ally, an enabler of his agenda. For all of Trump’s griping about “fake news,” the mainstream media’s prevailing focus on palace intrigue and White House scandals has come at the expense of substantive policy coverage, allowing Trump and the Republican Party to advance harmful, hugely unpopular policies without the scrutiny they deserve."

Just an editorial note...these are hugely unpopular with the progs. I'm quite pleased with the direction this country has taken.
I'm wondering if you view this article as Trump's agenda not going to hell in a handbasket? The article is hugely critical of Trumps agenda.
This article IS a harsh criticism of the press but in no way paints Trump or his administration in a positive light.
Read your own quote which I highlighted. The article criticizes Trump, his policies and the entire Republican party. Well done!

The article is excerpt from a larger article from the Washington Post:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...=.df53b3e15d8d

Here are some other nice highlights I picked out for you:

"Take climate change. This month, Trump officially announced the United States’ withdrawal from the Paris climate accord, joining Syria and Nicaragua as the only countries to reject the landmark agreement."

"While the investigations into Trump’s campaign and the president’s possible obstruction of justice are clearly newsworthy, they have denied oxygen to other issues that have a far greater impact on Americans’ daily lives. (On the day Sessions testified, Sen. Chris Murphy (D-Conn.) urged his Twitter followers to focus 90 percent of their attention on health care.) "

"These are just a few examples of the media malpractice that continues to corrode our political discourse. Others include the fawning coverage of Trump’s unauthorized missile strikes in Syria, the virtual blackout on television of Republican steps to unravel Wall Street reforms, and the “cancer of false equivalence,” as media columnist Eric Alterman of the Nation recently called it, that still infects the reporting of our most prestigious and influential news organizations. Indeed, it is the same blind worship at the altar of “balance” that leads to troubling and dubious decisions, such as CNN employing dishonest Trump mouthpiece Jeffrey Lord or NBC allowing Megyn Kelly to put conspiracy theorist Alex Jones on its airwaves."

I do tend to agree that CNN is too focussed on Trump and Russia. While that is a hugely important story, there needs to be much more balanced coverage of other issues AND other World news. I'm so tired of the same old biased predictable talking heads on both sides of the aisle being wheeled out all day long.

Last edited by Cruithne; 06-21-2017 at 09:07 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 06-21-2017, 09:27 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,525,338 times
Quote:
I'm quite pleased with the direction this country has taken.
Sure, sure, sure...

MAGA

Trumplings are very happy these days. Their joy is evident.

Old 06-21-2017, 09:33 AM

30,355 posts, read 19,128,594 times
Quote:

Trump is killin it and making an A everyday....at this rate, he'll surpass Ronald Reagan as best President in my lifetime.

Old 06-21-2017, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
I'm wondering if you view this article as Trump's agenda not going to hell in a handbasket? The article is hugely critical of Trumps agenda.
This article IS a harsh criticism of the press but in no way paints Trump or his administration in a positive light.
Read your own quote which I highlighted. The article criticizes Trump, his policies and the entire Republican party. Well done!
Of course the article criticizes Trump. Katrina vanden Heuvel is not only a raging liberal/prog, she is the editor, publisher, and part-owner of the liberal/progressive magazine The Nation.

Katrina vanden Heuvel is flawlessly blue. Trump could deliver the world the cure for cancer and she would excoriate him overpopulating the world. She will NEVER paint Trump in a positive light.

Katrina vanden Heuvel would be very disappointed to realize you libs missed the point of her article, because it's not really about Trump...it's about the MSM. You knuckleheads all think you have the Trump administration stymied with the Russian collusion nonsense. And you think that because the MSM tells you that day after day.

Katrina vanden Heuvel is frantically waving a big red flag at you libs trying to get you to pay attention to what's really going on.

Btw, I'm perfectly content with what Trump's doing. I'm even more content that liberals are completely missing the warnings in this article.

Last edited by Dockside; 06-21-2017 at 02:28 PM..

Old 06-21-2017, 02:50 PM

10,525 posts, read 6,157,413 times
Quote:
Of course the article criticizes Trump. Katrina vanden Heuvel is not only a raging liberal/prog, she is the editor, publisher, and part-owner of the liberal/progressive magazine The Nation.

Katrina vanden Heuvel is flawlessly blue. Trump could deliver the world the cure for cancer and she would excoriate him overpopulating the world. She will NEVER paint Trump in a positive light.

Katrina vanden Heuvel would be very disappointed to realize you libs missed the point of her article, because it's not really about Trump...it's about the MSM. You knuckleheads all think you have the Trump administration stymied with the Russian collusion nonsense. And you think that because the MSM tells you that day after day.

Katrina vanden Heuvel is frantically waving a big red flag at you libs trying to get you to pay attention to what's really going on.

Btw, I'm perfectly content with what Trump's doing. I'm even more content that liberals are completely missing the warnings in this article.

You seem to have a comprehension problem.

I did not miss the point of the article. Read my post again and attempt to comprehend it this time around. I very clearly stated that the article is a criticism of the press. Also read again my last paragraph.

And if you respond again I ask you to refrain from the name calling next time around. We can have a reasonable discussion without it.

Old 06-21-2017, 02:54 PM

78,339 posts, read 60,539,645 times
She's not saying anything different than what I've been saying around here for months.

The left is running around talking about him not holding hands or a host of other little crap and it creates smoke for him to pass his agenda.

The left went "Full Birther" and it's helping Trump.

Now weather you like his agenda or not is completely irrelevant to this reality.

Old 06-21-2017, 02:59 PM

8,061 posts, read 4,882,876 times
Ever since HRC and Pedesta made up the Russian theory to cover their loses and 1.3 Billion dollars latter. We are seeing all of these investigations turning up nothing. Matter of fact we have Former AG Lynch and Former FBI with bill Clinton in the mix trying to sway a election and protecting HRC.

If it was not for all of these fake news pieces we would not of known the back door polices of the Obama administration and the devious dealing of the DNC.

I guess their is some purpose to fake news.!

Old 06-21-2017, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
You seem to have a comprehension problem.

I did not miss the point of the article. Read my post again and attempt to comprehend it this time around. I very clearly stated that the article is a criticism of the press. Also read again my last paragraph.

And if you respond again I ask you to refrain from the name calling next time around. We can have a reasonable discussion without it.
You have to be kidding. This is POC. If I want a reasonable discussion I'll go to Great Debates or Current Events.

I have zero interest in having "reasonable discussions" with liberals. Most of you have lost your minds and your ability to reason or see clearly. Look at the insane amount of hatred and lies ginned up about Trump by Democrats. Read the hate filled posts and threads here. Look at the Republican congressman laying in the hospital.

Democrats are spreading a terrible lie about Russian collusion and Democrat politicos are betraying this country and their government with their lies...and don't think people haven't noticed. There's a reason you folks lost two elections yesterday and why most likely you'll keep losing for the next generation.

Everything Katrina vanden Heuvel says about Trump I disagree with...she's just another liberal writing for another liberal rag...who gives a damn. But she's right about one thing, Trump's agenda is going through because all of you have blinders on.

And I'm ok with that.

Old 06-21-2017, 04:45 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,273,519 times
I'm not endorsing this article in any way, but I saw it a week or two ago and think it has a similar angle, so I thought I'd attach it.

The New Paranoia: Democrats have always prided themselves on being a voice of political sanity. So why has Trump's election turned the left into a breeding ground for conspiracy theories?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies