Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 08:38 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Meh...it's her kid. Give her what she wants.
I feel the same way.

That said, the article did say she has a history of using racist rhetoric (called 3 and 5 year old children n**gers in the past).

I'll also note that I do prefer a doctor who speaks English without a heavy accent. I can understand some accents and if they aren't overwhelming, then we are fine, but I do honestly prefer a black American doctor. Due in part because I can understand them and because I feel they care about me more as an individual. I don't care about the gender of a doctor and in an emergency situation, I don't even care if the doctor has a heavy accent, I just want the first one available.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2017, 08:38 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,653,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Never mind. I think you know what point I was trying to make.

We are basically talking about the same thing. It looks like you have a problem with one word I was using.

well, spoiled and ignorant people normally "demand" things, I have no problems with that. lol

asking and demanding aren't the same thing.

Old 06-22-2017, 08:40 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,653,986 times
Quote:
what if there isn't a white doctor available?

Old 06-22-2017, 08:42 AM

9,189 posts, read 7,601,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
She's a horrible person, but it's her right and prerogative to choose who she wants to treat her family.

I'm sure many people in this world want to be served by only their race/ethnicity/nationality.

Happens everywhere, everyday.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/racist-wo...103247568.html

You're right , it is her right. But the white doctor should have brown teeth. What does she have against brown teeth? lol

Old 06-22-2017, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
My uncle is an emergency room doctor; he is a white man. He said a lot of patients asked for "American" doctors . "American" doctor is the codeword for white doctors sometimes; but most times, "American" doctor just means English speaking doctors.

I think this woman has the right to make the "demand" as long as she understands the fact that sometimes, the best doctors are not white.
I think the blue is more accurate. I also would prefer an English speaking doctor as noted above. I have asked for an "American" customer service rep before as well over the phone lol. I didn't mean white - I meant anyone who is an American. Usually when I asked for an American rep or a supervisor I got what I felt was a black representative (based on the name and conversation).

I also have asked people at fast food restaurants to put an American on the phone when the person who didn't speak English didn't understand my food catering order at a place I used to work. In Atlanta it was kind of funny for my co-workers since the owner at this particular restaurant was from Bangladesh and mostly his family/friends from that community worked in the restaurant. They had one black American girl who worked there who had a horrible Atlanta accent but when some of the immigrant workers were answering the phone, they could never get my order right so I'd always tell them to "put the black girl on the phone." If it was the owner of the restaurant, he was fine since he'd been in the country the longest. He had an accent but was easy to understand and he understood English. But it is frustrating trying to get a simple thing done and the person cannot help because of a language barrier.

Old 06-22-2017, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
what if there isn't a white doctor available?
They should tell her that so she can go to another clinic.

Old 06-22-2017, 08:47 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,749,614 times
Quote:
They did. They offered her to wait until a white doctor come in. What else were they supposed to do? The woman was completely out of hand.

Old 06-22-2017, 08:48 AM

10,190 posts, read 7,955,882 times
Racist Woman Demands To See 'White Doctor' For Her Unwell Son.

So what? That is her prerogative. What makes her a horrible person???

Old 06-22-2017, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
I really don't care what color the doctor is....to tell you the truth. I just want someone who knows what they are doing, which I imagine most doctors do who matriculated and graduated from certified medical schools.

My wife, however, given that I now live in a very white metropolitan area, has wanted our kids to see black doctors whenever possible. They are kind of like "role models" that demonstrate that you can be that too. In fact, one of our kids is aiming at becoming a doctor. I think that it is beneficial, especially for poor black kids, to come in contact with as many black professionals as they can. They need to see other images of blacks than what one generally finds in the environs of concentrated poverty. In certain metro areas, with high black population, you should see it more without having to seek it out.
I agree with your wife as well. I do think that is important but for my kids I've never really set out to have them see a black doctor since we know some within the family. But when I was a kid, my mom and all the black parents in our area all went to the one black pediatrician we had in our city at the time. They did it for the same reason your wife does.

I have a nephew who wants to be a physician and due to the very small amount of black American physicians today, I'm doing everything I can to help him prepare for college and medical school so that he can succeed in this goal. He grew up primarily in the inner city but luckily goes to a very good private high school due to the voucher system in our state so I am helping to ensure he takes the right AP courses and gets ACT/SAT tutoring so that he can get a good scholarship and be knowledgeable about the subjects he will have to study as a pre-med candidate.

Old 06-22-2017, 08:49 AM

39,230 posts, read 27,611,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I have asked for an "American" customer service rep before as well over the phone lol. .
lol I know exactly what you are talking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies