Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 02:54 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,934,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post
I like solar too. I have it and it saves me about $400.00/mo in electricity. It was 120 degrees yesterday and it was 72 degrees inside my house.

A solar wall? Has anybody figured out how much the power transmission lines are going to cost? The panels need to face south-towards Mexico. Have they figured out how much damage the vandalism is going to cost?

Coal ash contains cadmium. It's a carcinogen. My spouse lost a kidney to renal cell carcinoma due to transdermal exposure to cadmium. We had to get a water conditioner and RO water system to mitigate exposure to toxic metals.

You want coal? I don't have a problem. Go for it.

I don't provide links because too many people are finicky regarding sources.

I kindly suggest you google "map of cancer incidence in the US". Take your pick.
Well Said.
Have to owe you the official rep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2017, 02:59 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Can you send a link that shows German electricity is arbitrarily priced, with no reference to economic fundamentals?
German household power prices have reached a record high in early 2017 while wholesale prices are sinking.

More than half of the power price for households and small businesses in Germany consists of politically determined components.

https://www.cleanenergywire.org/fact...olds-pay-power

Old 06-22-2017, 04:14 PM

33,535 posts, read 37,132,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
If you put them on top of the wall as I have described you will not be able to see them very well. I would imagine vandislim is going to be on the top of the list for things to consider for design.

It's elevated above dirt but it's not that far off.
Oh come on.... If the coal contains high levels of sulfur—as does most coal from the eastern US—it must be cleaned and refined before it’s burned in a power plant. This process involves crushing and washing the coal to remove waste materials. The purified coal is then transported to its final destination, leaving behind coal slurry, a watery waste that contains arsenic, mercury, chromium, cadmium, and other heavy metals. As much as 50 percent of pre-processed coal materials can end up as highly toxic waste.

The Hidden Costs of Fossil Fuels | Union of Concerned Scientists

Old 06-22-2017, 04:30 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Oh come on.... If the coal contains high levels of sulfur—as does most coal from the eastern US—it must be cleaned and refined before it’s burned in a power plant. This process involves crushing and washing the coal to remove waste materials. The purified coal is then transported to its final destination, leaving behind coal slurry, a watery waste that contains arsenic, mercury, chromium, cadmium, and other heavy metals. As much as 50 percent of pre-processed coal materials can end up as highly toxic waste.

The Hidden Costs of Fossil Fuels | Union of Concerned Scientists
The only issue here is when the impoundment dam breaks, rare occurrence but unacceptable nonetheless.

The industry I'm involved with the smallest sizes are used for water filter <gasp>. Anthracite fractures into odd sized shapes, it's ideal for replacement of sand filters because they last longer.

https://www.google.com/search?q=anth...utf-8&oe=utf-8

Old 06-22-2017, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnluver8956 View Post
Price is higher, but prices are plummeting rapidly. should be cheaper than coal within our lifetime

/www.cogeneration.net
The cost per watt is only one issue and in the grand scheme of things not the biggest issue. It's the storage and capacity issue.

Soalr and wind are 100% dependent on generation from coal, natural gas, hydro and nuclear. A lot of what you pay for electric is the capital investment in those plants. You cannot eliminate that capital investment and the less they run the more it cost for the electric they produce.

Old 06-22-2017, 04:43 PM

3,909 posts, read 2,121,604 times
Quote:
The cost per watt is only one issue and in the grand scheme of things not the biggest issue. It's the storage and capacity issue.

Soalr and wind are 100% dependent on generation from coal, natural gas, hydro and nuclear. A lot of what you pay for electric is the capital investment in those plants. You cannot eliminate that capital investment and the less they run the more it cost for the electric they produce.
How long will coal last and how long will the sun last? Also storage isn't a problem with the powerwall anymore. So don't throw that argument up.

Old 06-22-2017, 04:45 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,365,659 times
Quote:

Sort of. The highest usage of power occurs during extremely hot days. I think ALL of these technologies ave a place at the table. But coal....is losing to natural gas for its place.

Old 06-22-2017, 04:48 PM

3,909 posts, read 2,121,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Sort of. The highest usage of power occurs during extremely hot days. I think ALL of these technologies ave a place at the table. But coal....is losing to natural gas for its place.
natural gas is so much better than coal. coal sucks.

Old 06-22-2017, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnluver8956 View Post
How long will coal last and how long will the sun last?
The amount of fossil fuels in this country is so vast it's irrelevant argument because the technology that can replace it will supersede it before the supply runs out. Likely geothermal or fusion.

Quote:
Also storage isn't a problem with the powerwall anymore.
How many solar panels and batteries do you need for the following scenario.

It's 0 degrees out in the northeast, cloudy, no wind and utilities are hitting record demand at 7AM. It's going to be like that for the next two weeks.

When you are done calculating the cost of meeting this demand with solar arrays and batteries get back to me. You simply have no clue what you are talking about... batteries... LOL

Old 06-22-2017, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Sort of. The highest usage of power occurs during extremely hot days.
In the Northeast at or near record demands can be achieved in the winter in the early AM.

Bitter cold leads to power demand record for PPL Electric Utilities | lehighvalleylive.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies