Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 04:42 AM

4,765 posts, read 3,719,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
Seems like you are saying, without saying, that all the tech. advances have been made and from here on out we have reach the limit beyond which we can not go. Someone should have told the people that have been working on clean coal. We absolutely know the future. Anyone questing that should sail a ship off the end of the world.
To me it sounds like I am saying that subsidizing coal is a bad plan, though there is some small subset of people who might benefit. Subsidizing renewable energy has brought about great progress in solar and wind. The "cleanest" of coal is nowhere near what solar advances promise.

You can infer whatever you like from that. Or take it at face value.

Now if Lockheed Skunk Works comes through with their compact fusion research, then most other forms of energy are toast!

Compact Fusion · Lockheed Martin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2017, 04:44 AM

23,410 posts, read 17,092,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaker281 View Post
A nickle.

If you want to refute something in the article, go for it. Be sure and provide substantiation.

Meanwhile, and the actual point is, that no matter what regulations Trump changes , coal is history in the USA, and renewable sources are the future. Care to dispute that?
No one is denying coal will go away.

Trump is not denying coal will go away.

Trump has embraced all forms of energy. Oil companies are researching alternate forms of energy

Someone finds a winner and the world will beat a path to his door.

Until alternate forms of energy are economically viable, coal, natural gas, etc will fill the gap.

Solar is not economically viable across the country, solar fields have destroyed trees and brings the earth closer to whatever disaster human caused global warming predicts. So many solar scams and pitfalls hidden in solar contracts.

Sure, solar works on a small scale.

Wind mills are killing birds, including eagles wholesale. Look at a map provided by the feds to see where windmills make sense.....let's cut paths thru forests build roads to install and maintain windmills. Current tech has its problems.

Solar will own a niche in the market beside other forms of energy yet to be developed. Maybe we should ban solar in favor of a technology that doesn't exist...just like obama's regs did for coal?

We will all embrace any economically viable alternative energy.

Hey I need a steel girder, can you beam down some solar energy to smelt the steel and form the beam?

Old 06-22-2017, 04:44 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,021,490 times
Quote:
Can anyone tell me what a boxcar load of coal will cost me ? I priced a solar system at around $ 15,000 but it didn't seem cost effective to me at my age and current electrical usage. Knowing that I would not likely live long enough to pay it off.
It's not just about being "cost effective" but if you do not see an advantage, don't do it.

Old 06-22-2017, 04:56 AM

5,701 posts, read 3,208,465 times
Trump is the Solar President.

Old 06-22-2017, 04:58 AM

34,301 posts, read 15,581,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
It's not just about being "cost effective" but if you do not see an advantage, don't do it.
I like solar. I really like Trumps solar wall.

I just want to see them back up their argument. I often argue for things I don't believe in. People who debate things have to do that all the time. If the argument is sound what's the harm.

The OP has been fairly decent. Didn't engage in name calling or other things so common. I'm having fun and this is a form of entertainment for me. Hopefully nobody died. Breathing my deadly coal thoughts.

I might not have learned about the compact fusion thing mentioned by the OP.

Old 06-22-2017, 05:05 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,021,490 times
Quote:
I like solar. I really like Trumps solar wall.

I just want to see them back up their argument. I often argue for things I don't believe in. People who debate things have to do that all the time. If the argument is sound what's the harm.

The OP has been fairly decent. Didn't engage in name calling or other things so common. I'm having fun and this is a form of entertainment for me. Hopefully no died. Breathing my deadly coal thoughts.

I might not have learned about the fusion thing mentioned by the OP.
I drive a plug in hybrid. I don't know how many times people feel they must tell me that I'm not actually saving any money. I'm not. It's not just about saving money.

Old 06-22-2017, 05:13 AM

34,301 posts, read 15,581,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I drive a plug in hybrid. I don't know how many times people feel they must tell me that I'm not actually saving any money. I'm not. It's not just about saving money.
Yeah, I know what you mean. I bought a VW Rabbit diesel and it was so reliable. I was up skiing in Or. and all the expensive Mercedes wouldn't start due to the cold. A little shot of ether and I was down the road while they were waiting for the tow truck.

Old 06-22-2017, 05:27 AM

15,935 posts, read 12,227,502 times
subsidizing coal is a bad idea. Though I'm more a libertarian or centrist, I do support the wind energy subsidy and wind power, regardless of what people on the left think about it killing a stray bird, or people on the right thinking they are "ugly" .. out here in the great plans there's nothing to look at anyways, so put up the wind generators. We have a lot of wind out here. I don't like how already rich farmers get even richer just by having them on their land, however, but hey, that's how it goes. The rich get richer.

Old 06-22-2017, 05:29 AM

45,676 posts, read 23,908,261 times
Quote:
Solar sure has benefited from a lot of subsidies in the past to get where it is. Maybe its time for coal to get some of the subsidies.
Coal had subsidies in its hey day. Thing is nothing new with coal -- its been around for years...dos nothing to 'better' the environment so why push it.

It's like the folks who fought indoor plumbing claiming the best way to go was with the outhouses. Kids we have evolved...time to move on.

Old 06-22-2017, 05:43 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,127,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaker281 View Post
Brilliant, subsidize a dying form of energy. Very conservative of you.

Based on solar's huge improvements , it would appear those subsidies are very forward looking. And working.

The right is so engaged in arguing against any sound environmental policy, that the promise of cheap renewable energy makes them defensive! LOL
To add some links to coal vs solar=https://results.searchlock.com/searc...le&chnm=js_270

I cant believe for some theres even a question =
http://www.bysolar.com/wp-content/th...ssil_fuels.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies