Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 05:49 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,437,203 times

Advertisements

Yes solar is more expensive than coal

Today's most productive energy workers are in coal and gas, not solar
Quote:
Only in the fantasy world of the Beltway does it make sense to spend billions of taxpayer dollars to artificially support an energy source that is so labor-intensive that it requires a workforce 79 times greater per unit of energy produced than coal, and nearly 40 times greater than natural gas. If I could re-title the New York Times article, I think a better choice would be "Today's Most Productive Energy Workers are in Coal and Gas, Not Solar."
https://www.aei.org/publication/inco...e-coal-worker/
Quote:
Inconvenient energy fact: It takes 79 solar workers to produce same amount of electric power as one coal worker
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2017, 06:00 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,008,400 times
Don't forget -- when anything is new and emerging it is more costly to produce. As demand increases and the technology becomes more popular -- it becomes less expensive.

While coal is cheaper - -it's long term effects on the worker, the environment may cost us more if we don't evolve...become more efficient in producing energy and using it.

Old 06-22-2017, 06:00 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,304,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaker281 View Post
Solar energy is killing coal, despite Trump's promises - Jun. 20, 2017

"Solar is already "at least as cheap as coal" in some countries, including the United States, Germany, Australia, Spain and Italy, the report said. The cost of wind power could also be cut in half"

"By 2040, U.S. power generation from renewable energy is likely to skyrocket by 169%, according to a recent forecast from the research firm Bloomberg New Energy Finance. Coal-fired power is projected to plunge by 51% in the United States over the same period.

"The greening of the world's electricity system is unstoppable," wrote Seb Henbest, the lead author.
Wow, you want to talk about propaganda?

My former neighbor in San Diego installed solar panels on his house. He reported on FB that he now is generating all he uses, plus sells some to SDG&E. I asked him what it cost him, and found out he spent a small fortune. He won't get a return on his investment for many years (I forget what the number was). But I guess it makes him feel good.

Commercially speaking, the real estate that a solar farm takes up (or wind farm) is enormous. The solar panels only produce energy when the sun shines, of course, or the windmills when the wind blows. They require storage batteries to store the energy, and some of the energy produced always goes to keeping the batteries charged.

This isn't exactly a panacea. It's really a pipe dream ...like a perpetual motion machine!

Old 06-22-2017, 06:02 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,437,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Don't forget -- when anything is new and emerging it is more costly to produce. As demand increases and the technology becomes more popular -- it becomes less expensive.

While coal is cheaper - -it's long term effects on the worker, the environment may cost us more if we don't evolve...become more efficient in producing energy and using it.
Is this meant to be justification for shoveling taxpayer money into the solar pit?

Old 06-22-2017, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Is this meant to be justification for shoveling taxpayer money into the solar pit?
Nope -- I'm not a huge fan of the govt. spending money on supporting specific businesses. I'm just talking about the cost of production for solar.

I don't think I mentioned govt. subsidies in my post....so I don't think it was implied at all.

Old 06-22-2017, 06:10 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,649,302 times
But, but, but what happened to the future ? I thought the question was decided. I'm confused and I just bought the solar panels. WTF ?????????

The solar guys disappeared faster then the contractor that was going to do the install.

Old 06-22-2017, 06:12 AM

18,492 posts, read 9,159,286 times
Solar power is great, unless you like having electricity at night.

Unfortunately, you still need all of those fossil power plants as backup for night time.

Old 06-22-2017, 06:14 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,304,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Solar, wind, geothermal ... are the future.

Coal and nuclear are the past.
Hardly.

Nuclear plants are still being built, and probably will be for many years. And coal isn't going away anytime soon just because "environmentalists" say it is. The biggest problem with nuclear plants are public perception, not the technology.

Solar, wind and geothermal aren't capable of meeting the demand, and that's not the least of the problem. You can't cover the earth with solar panels and wind farms.

But you're welcome to your pipe dream, even if it is laughable.

Last edited by nononsenseguy; 06-22-2017 at 06:37 AM..

Old 06-22-2017, 06:15 AM

Coal isn't going away because Trump has adopted it like some poor little lost puppy. He is using coal as an example of how he helps blue collar workers. He doesn't care if it isn't sustainable or practical -- as long as it plays to his base...and it does.

Old 06-22-2017, 06:19 AM

16,759 posts, read 8,212,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
Solar sure has benefited from a lot of subsidies in the past to get where it is. Maybe its time for coal to get some of the subsidies.
Coal already has those subsidies. Also local and state tax credits for the mine owners. What coal does not have is a clean easy delivery system to homes or business.. Go figure. Maybe the POTUS needs to push a plan to go back in time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies