Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 06:54 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
I like solar. I really like Trumps solar wall.
I'll reserve judgement on this until I see details. Clearly there will benefits especially with costs to build since you would combining two construction projects but there is other concerns like vandalism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2017, 06:55 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Wow, you want to talk about propaganda?

My former neighbor in San Diego installed solar panels on his house. He reported on FB that he now is generating all he uses, plus sells some to SDG&E. I asked him what it cost him, and found out he spent a small fortune. He won't get a return on his investment for many years (I forget what the number was). But I guess it makes him feel good.

Commercially speaking, the real estate that a solar farm takes up (or wind farm) is enormous. The solar panels only produce energy when the sun shines, of course, or the windmills when the wind blows. They require storage batteries to store the energy, and some of the energy produced always goes to keeping the batteries charged.

This isn't exactly a panacea. It's really a pipe dream ...like a perpetual motion machine!
Again, it is NOT just about a ROI. It's also about being self sufficient. Not having to worry about wars in the middle east.

Old 06-22-2017, 06:58 AM

33,541 posts, read 37,140,220 times
This is the future... https://www.tesla.com/en_CA/solarroof

I like the slate look.

Old 06-22-2017, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Solar power is great, unless you like having electricity at night.

Unfortunately, you still need all of those fossil power plants as backup for night time.
Nobody is saying that they all should be shut down. This strawman is old and worn out.

Old 06-22-2017, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
and all the expensive Mercedes wouldn't start due to the cold.....
I find that a little odd, was this many years ago?

I had a MB truck and one thing it was good for was cold weather starts, much better than the International I owned. This was non issue for either truck most of the time because they would be plugged in over night.

They have systems to assist in cold weather starts, basically you just heat the fuel up.

Old 06-22-2017, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Depending on where you live it can be cost effective to the homeowner but you are doing that on the back of taxpayers and ratepayers.
That's the case with everything. Costs us a ton to upkeep the roads here in state that the coal trucks travel. When Fracking was booming they were destroying all kinds of roads with their trucks that then had to be repaired.

We are now bailing out the coal miners health care.

Old 06-22-2017, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I find that a little odd, was this many years ago?

I had a MB truck and one thing it was good for was cold weather starts, much better than the International I owned. This was non issue for either truck most of the time because they would be plugged in over night.

They have systems to assist in cold weather starts, basically you just heat the fuel up.
It's why 30 plus years ago truckers would let their trucks idle all night. I was out on Christmas morning 1983 installing new glow plugs in zero degree weather because my VW Diesel wouldn't start. Never did get the one behind the injector pump that morning but it started with three new ones.

Old 06-22-2017, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post

I cant believe for some theres even a question =
http://www.bysolar.com/wp-content/th...ssil_fuels.jpg
LOL.... this is what you call propaganda, misrepresentation or someone that is simply clueless. Bedsides the obvious choice of lighting and settings what they are trying to convey as pollution is actually pollution control. The "smoke" you see is water vapor. Coal plants have what is called a wet scrubber which is basically a bong, it traps pollution. The byproduct of this process is water vapor that is emitted out the stack.

Old 06-22-2017, 07:13 AM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Again, it is NOT just about a ROI. It's also about being self sufficient. Not having to worry about wars in the middle east.
With you there 100%.

Old 06-22-2017, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
It's why 30 plus years ago truckers would let their trucks idle all night. I was out on Christmas morning 1983 installing new glow plugs in zero degree weather because my VW Diesel wouldn't start. Never did get the one behind the injector pump that morning but it started with three new ones.
We had coolant heaters on them, you could leave the heat on and even the cab would be a little warm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies