Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should we ban immigrants from receiving welfare benefits for 5 years?
Yes! They are a burden to the tax payer and should find a way to support themselves! 52 91.23%
No! Thats Cruel! Give them all the welfare they need! Who else is going to help them? 5 8.77%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 09:02 AM

7,736 posts, read 4,944,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
This is ALREADY law that immigrants have a five year period before receiving most forms of welfare and benefits. It's been law for 21 years now when Clinton passed it.

I'm assuming someone must have told him that, I believe this announcement by Trump is just to get people on board with him and get riled about something.....even though it's already law.

He'll probably find some small item to tweak so he can pass something, but it's funny everyone is so excited about something that's already here!!!
That law exempted certain immigrants, including refugees, people from Cuba and Haiti, and green-card holders, according to the National Immigration Law Center, an advocacy group.

As Trump made the proposal in Iowa, the White House announced a move to slow the flow of legal travel to the U.S.

In an executive order announced late Wednesday, Trump lifted an Obama-era requirement that the U.S. make sure at least 80 percent of those who apply for non-immigrant visas for entry to the U.S. are interviewed within 3 weeks of their application. The Obama rule made exceptions in the case of security considerations.

I am assuming that he is adding on to the existing law. Theres loopholes in there somewhere.....Ever look at those refugees in Germany? Many have smartphones, gold watches, and money...

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...for-five-years
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2017, 09:03 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,061,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Hey! I'm all for kicking them off the welfare system too! Or even just phasing out welfare altogether.
As was stated, legal and certainly illegal immigrants are ALREADY banned from most all welfare programs for five years. It's been that way since the mid 1990's.

The only ones exempted were Cubans who had fled to Miami during that previous period and certain refugees who showed up with virtually nothing but the clothes on their backs.

Old 06-22-2017, 09:09 AM

50,060 posts, read 46,587,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
As was stated, legal and certainly illegal immigrants are ALREADY banned from most all welfare programs for five years. It's been that way since the mid 1990's.

The only ones exempted were Cubans who had fled to Miami during that previous period and certain refugees who showed up with virtually nothing but the clothes on their backs.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...=.8bb7e8a837bd

Old 06-22-2017, 09:10 AM

38,967 posts, read 27,335,958 times
A lot of rich legal immigrants come to this country when they reach retirement age. They come here to take advantage of the system.

Last time I checked, If you filed an immigrant visa petition for your relative, you must be the sponsor. You must also be at least 18 years old and a U.S. citizen or a permanent resident. You must have a domicile in the United States or a territory or possession of the United States.

So a new legal immigrant has their financial sponsor to depend upon; they shouldn't be the responsibility of taxpayers.

This is a good decision.

Old 06-22-2017, 09:11 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,452,709 times
I thought the Personal Responsibility and Work Opportunity Act of 1996 made immigrants ineligible for means- tested public benefits for 5 years.

This Act did not apply to refugees which peaked in the 80's. The number of refugees admitted today is a fraction of the number admitted in the 80's.

It also did not apply to vaccinations.

Old 06-22-2017, 09:12 AM

Quote:
How about an amendment to that law is that in addition, those immigrants need to speak passable English? I have no sympathy for any immigrant, legal or otherwise, who has been in this country for more than a couple of month, and who can't speak some English.

We need English to be the official language of the USA. BTW in Germany, refugees must take 700 hours of German lessons in order to stay permanently. The Germans also hold culture workshops for them.
Virtually no first generation immigrants who came to this country spoke English (except from England of course) and a huge number of them never learned anything more than barely passable English.

It's why everyone tended to group together initially (first generation) with people from their own countries, because no one spoke a common language.

It's second generation immigrants and onward who all spoke English, it's been this way since the founding of the country.

My ancestors from Netherlands and Sweden didn't speak English when they arrived. On my grandparents side both of them were the initial English speakers after their parents came. Their moms didn't speak any English during their lives and their fathers did learn enough to get them through the basics of life.

I have two Polish and one Greek friend in Chicago who's parents came over in the 1960's. Again, even today neither mother speaks English, they speak Polish and Greek. Their fathers did learn enough English to have functioning jobs, they both own their own businesses and work with a lot of other first generation Greeks and Polish.

Nothing different about today's immigrants than the past except they are here in the information age where social media and video pass on every encounter with someone who doesn't speak English like it's odd for some reason.

It's been perfectly natural since the founding of the country. It's selfish to demand they all learn English right away when NONE of our ancestors did.

Old 06-22-2017, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
What does this have to do with anything immigrant or waiting period related??

This is an article about how they allowed states to relax the work requirements for people on welfare during the height of the great recession because of the huge problem of long-term unemployment that existed from around 2009 to 2013.

Old 06-22-2017, 09:18 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,452,709 times
Quote:
How about an amendment to that law is that in addition, those immigrants need to speak passable English? I have no sympathy for any immigrant, legal or otherwise, who has been in this country for more than a couple of month, and who can't speak some English.

We need English to be the official language of the USA. BTW in Germany, refugees must take 700 hours of German lessons in order to stay permanently. The Germans also hold culture workshops for them.
First generation immigrants have been historically resistant to learning English.

My in- laws ( long gone) never learned to speak or understand English despite living in the US for 50 years, working, paying taxes, owning property and becoming citizens. They were fluent in several Eastern European languages.

Old 06-22-2017, 09:18 AM

45,680 posts, read 23,818,728 times
So Trump wants to introduce a policy that already exists.

His accomplishments are astounding in so many ways.

Old 06-22-2017, 09:23 AM

1,040 posts, read 1,256,111 times
This is already the law, it takes about 15-20 years for a sponsorship to be accepted if it ever does get accepted. A new legal immigrant can only enter the US and even then you have to have proof a job is lined up and the sponsor is financially liable of the new migrant for the next 5 years but I guess you can't tell the gullible supporters this because then he can't have his anti-immigrant narrative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies