Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2017, 05:23 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
It is one planet, political lines won't shield you any longer we have too much mobility

We can choose not to use that mobility, just because we can easily travel to involve ourselves in someone else's conflict doesn't mean we should.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2017, 05:27 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Dumbest comment of the year. We're not killing ISIS to get cheaper gas.
When are people going to stop with the oil cliche. Death cults with plans for global terror shall be killed off at the source.

The most dangerous death cult is the one that thinks the US should police the world and doesn't give a rat's ass how many young Americans it kills in that process. What do we do about that death cult?

Old 06-23-2017, 05:37 AM

14,682 posts, read 14,645,402 times
It's not a failure if you don't buy into the guise of why the US is in the Mid East in the first place. It's a chess game between the oligarchs (and politicians they own) and those who control the source of Mid East oil.

Old 06-23-2017, 06:10 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Not until our bloated and corrupt empire collapses. I hope to see it happen in my lifetime.
Turn on your tv news channel and watch,its happening.

Old 06-23-2017, 07:18 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,597,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
They complain about America violating their rights.
I just stated a fact, not necessary means America. I also want to point out the fact that America is not the only country who did all the wrong here.

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 06-23-2017 at 07:41 AM..

Old 06-23-2017, 07:24 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,626,404 times
The. Middle east is a money Pitt for us. Obviously someone is making money or we wouldn't be there. This country is as corrupt as any other.

Old 06-23-2017, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
In our case, it's very often true.
I think it is a complicated issue.

For example, The U.S. has definitely been a catalyst and antagonist in Middle East conflicts since the end of WW2. However, if you want to assign blame to a Western nation, I'd argue that a larger share goes to Great Britain/the UK as well.

The over-simplified view of conflicts in the region: most are based on religion, in two varieties: Islamic nations versus Israel, and inter-sectarian strife among Muslims. Britain had a hand in both, dating back to the early 20th century, when they had control over most of the region, from Egypt, to Palestine, Jordan, and Iraq, and the Arabian Peninsula.

Wars in and around Vietnam have been ongoing since WWII; the last of which was the "Sino-Vietnam" war, when the Chinese (who backed the north during the US phase) invaded Vietnam.

So to simply blame the United States is an easy thing to do because U.S. is a world police. However, when you look at history, it is easy to find that China, Russia, Uk, and many other countries are also the aggressors. It is all about interests and power struggle

Wars are no longer contests with clear winners and losers; rather they have become on-going enterprises in which the most that can be hoped for is some measure of security and control. Yet in this day, people still speak of "winning" the war against radicalized terrorists.

But in the grand scheme of things, "losses" may be taken as lessons, so that we reform our expectations and change the calculus of our actions; sometimes, the experience of loss is more informative than an unbroken record of victories.

Let us hope that we have learned. I don't think we have, so war will be endless. I am not too optimistic about ending the war, no matter who becomes the president.

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 06-23-2017 at 07:38 AM..

Old 06-23-2017, 07:31 AM

29,483 posts, read 14,650,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
After reading a piece from last year, its glaringly apparent that the situations in Iraq, Syria, Libya and Afghanistan (not really Middle Eastern, but close enough) are more convoluted than ever, and we'll never get any of it under control. We're wasting time, lives and money. When will it end?

There will be no defeat of ISIS or the Taliban, and no one has a clue as to what victory looks like. It's just War for war's sake. One poster was asserting on another thread that the MOAB strike proved successful! Lol... really? People really believe that it killed a bunch of ISIS members? I don't believe it killed anyone at all. It might've killed some opium plants, but that's about it.

Aren't Americans FINALLY tired of this mess?

Why U.S. Policy in the Middle East Will Continue to Fail | The National Interest

I wish it was simple like just withdrawing from the ME. What if we did ? Then 10 years from now, ISIS or whatever they will call themselves by then have found a way to get a nuclear bomb, or chemical weapons ? And ways to attack us here ? Now we have a huge issue do deal with , much like we are seeing develop in North Korea.

It is a ****ty problem with no clear solutions though. And it seems like every thing we do ends up being the wrong thing , which cost US lives.

Old 06-23-2017, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
I wish it was simple like just withdrawing from the ME. What if we did ? Then 10 years from now, ISIS or whatever they will call themselves by then have found a way to get a nuclear bomb, or chemical weapons ? And ways to attack us here ? Now we have a huge issue do deal with , much like we are seeing develop in North Korea.

It is a ****ty problem with no clear solutions though. And it seems like every thing we do ends up being the wrong thing , which cost US lives.
Yep.

Who is this "we"? I think most Americans are sick and tired of these "wars". But U.S. government, interest group, foreign countries will never be happy to see us withdrawing our troops. I don't believe for one second that America is the only one who did all the wrong here. But it is obvious convenient to blame the U.S. for everything.

Old 06-23-2017, 07:39 AM

29,483 posts, read 14,650,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Yep.

Who is this "we"? I think most Americans are sick and tired of these "wars". But U.S. government, interest group, foreign countries will never be happy to see us withdrawing our troops. I don't believe for one second that America is the only one who did all the wrong here. But it is obvious convenient to blame the U.S. for everything.
Like it or not, "we" are a country, individuals may have their own and different opinions. Although , lately it seems like "we" are doing everything we can to divide ourselves from within.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies