Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2017, 06:29 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metsfan53 View Post
b/c Obama...that's why!!
I would ask Obama the same question but your answer helps me understand the ignorance. Your politics is more important than people's lives and doing what is right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2017, 06:33 PM

3,992 posts, read 2,458,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I would ask Obama the same question but your answer helps me understand the ignorance. Your politics is more important than people's lives and doing what is right.

um, I agree we should have universal healthcare, but we live in a world where one side wants to at least address the issue somehow, even if they don't go far enough while the other side wants to make the situation even worse and continue to exist as the only industrialized nation in the world without Universal healthcare....so I chose sides here....as soon as some GOP start coming out supporting increased healthcare instead of disguising tax cuts for the rich as a solution I'll at least go with the team that tries to move the ball along.

Old 06-23-2017, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metsfan53 View Post
um, I agree we should have universal healthcare, but we live in a world where one side wants to at least address the issue somehow, even if they don't go far enough while the other side wants to make the situation even worse and continue to exist as the only industrialized nation in the world without Universal healthcare....so I chose sides here....as soon as some GOP start coming out supporting increased healthcare instead of disguising tax cuts for the rich as a solution I'll at least go with the team that tries to move the ball along.
Choosing sides is why we do not have UHC. No, neither side is for the people here. I've pointed out many times that the DNC still insists that UHC is NOT the way to go. That Perez has resorted to cussing people out for still calling for it.

How does one side with that? (That is NOT a defense of the poor GOP plan)

Old 06-23-2017, 06:42 PM

727 posts, read 390,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
Don't be ridiculous. All of Obamacare was funded by extra taxes on the wealthy.

That is totally different than EVERYONE paying their share under a progressive tax system.

When the 50% who pay no federal income tax start putting some skin in the game, get back to me.
If employers paid living wages and provided health care, like in the past, we wouldn't even be talking about this.

I realize many here are too young to remember the time when companies lured prospective employees with benefits like health care and pensions. Yes, even pensions.

Back then, companies knew they could provide those benefits for a fraction of what it would cost the individual because they "bought" in lot. Companies saved money by offering those benefits rather than simply competing by paying the highest wages.

Of course, "back then" the middle class owned more wealth than the upper class and the American economy was healthy and thriving.

Today we have poor people campaigning for the rich to get richer. Sounds like Americans have found masochism the better alternative.

Old 06-23-2017, 06:47 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
A senior on Social Security is likely eligible for medicaire so doesn't really apply.

In any case, everyone who wants free or subsidized health care needs to cough up some tax money for it...end of story. There is no other revenue to pay for it and it is not fair to expect the wealthy to pay for the health care needs of all americans. End of story.
Medicare only pays for 100 days of nursing care, after that you are on your own. If a senior care for longer than 100 days they spend their assets then they go on medicaid. A senior with no other source of income other than a small social security check would probably go on medicaid rather quickly after the 100 days ran out. See how that works? So if they get a $900 social security check and have nothing else you want them to pay income tax, you're all heart aren't you?

Old 06-23-2017, 06:57 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,330,946 times
This is surreal, people. What in the hell are we arguing about?

Medicare for all. Now. Period.

What earthly right do insurance companies have to dictate who pays what, who is covered for what disease, and how much medicine costs? Insurance companies provide no health care. All they do is process claims, collect outrageous premiums, come up with greedy tricks like "co-pays" and cruel tactics like denying sick people coverage. Meanwhile, their executives collect obscene bonuses and dictate the parameters of medical care in the United States.

Is America crazy? Do our political leaders -- all of whom have their own gold-plated medical care system, for life, at our expense -- think they can continue to make us eat this political crap sandwich of a healthcare system forever?

What a disgrace. It boggles the mind that a) our politicians are so morally bankrupt that they are perfectly willing to permit a bunch of greedy, cold-blooded actuaries decide who lives and who dies, and b) Americans are so stupid that they put up with this travesty year after year, in a nation as rich and prosperous as the U.S.

Medicare for All. NOW!

Old 06-23-2017, 07:02 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,867,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Every medical provider group out there has announced their opposition to the senate version of Trumpcare with many characterizing it as "heartless". All of them.
Sooo.... you're saying every entity that receives money from the government doesn't like it if the government tries to rein in costs? And in other news, water is wet.

Old 06-23-2017, 07:03 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,867,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
This is surreal, people. What in the hell are we arguing about?

Medicare for all. Now. Period.

What earthly right do insurance companies have to dictate who pays what, who is covered for what disease, and how much medicine costs? Insurance companies provide no health care. All they do is process claims, collect outrageous premiums, come up with greedy tricks like "co-pays" and cruel tactics like denying sick people coverage. Meanwhile, their executives collect obscene bonuses and dictate the parameters of medical care in the United States.

Is America crazy? Do our political leaders -- all of whom have their own gold-plated medical care system, for life, at our expense -- think they can continue to make us eat this political crap sandwich of a healthcare system forever?

What a disgrace. It boggles the mind that a) our politicians are so morally bankrupt that they are perfectly willing to permit a bunch of greedy, cold-blooded actuaries decide who lives and who dies, and b) Americans are so stupid that they put up with this travesty year after year, in a nation as rich and prosperous as the U.S.

Medicare for All. NOW!
LOL! That's a good one.

Old 06-23-2017, 07:04 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,749,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
You forget how entrenched some people are in their parties.

There are tons of rural poor people who would vote for the GOP congressman even if he personally came to their house, shot their dog, beat their kids with a hammer and set their house on fire. (Same with some urban Dems)
Those of us who are Republican and live in rural counties count on ourselves to pay for our county bills. If something is needed for the county, our taxes are raised in order to pay for it. If less is needed and we end up with a surplus our taxes are decreased. We don't go crying to the Fed for more handouts. This is not the same as Urban Democrats who want subsidy after subsidy who cry to the state and fed for more handouts.

Our Congressmen and Senators do visit us. They don't BS us. They don't shoot our dogs. They don't beat our children. They don't burn down our houses. They do get their hands dirty when the needs arise.

At one time I lived in a Urban Democrat county and there is a big difference. The more I paid in excess taxes in which they stated how the money would be used, the less it went to what it was meant for as it got siphoned off to something else.

As to the healthcare system in the US, not only does the gov't need a overhaul on how they deal with healthcare but also the providers of healthcare system needs to be overhauled also.

Old 06-23-2017, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Those of us who are Republican and live in rural counties count on ourselves to pay for our county bills. If something is needed for the county, our taxes are raised in order to pay for it. If less is needed and we end up with a surplus our taxes are decreased. We don't go crying to the Fed for more handouts. This is not the same as Urban Democrats who want subsidy after subsidy who cry to the state and fed for more handouts.
You aren't paying for the wars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies