Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2017, 06:20 AM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Stupid. The reason Trump is president is because economic policies under Obama hurt so many. The solution is NOT in condemning others but in condemning ourselves for allowing it to happen.
Obama's economic policies hurt so many? Who were hurt?

Everyone I know is much better off than they were 8 years ago. More folks working. Wages going up. Homes selling. Retirement accounts recovered. Longest period of economic and job growth in recent history.

Democrats should focus on that. Forget all the treating people fairly stuff. Focus on the jobs. That's the future.

Automation and artificial intelligence is eliminating jobs left and right. Corporations complain that they can't find adequately educated employees.

The only way we are ever going to get on track is to develop a system of lifelong education, where a person laid off from one job can get vocational counseling and support in developing skills and knowledge more in demand in the marketplace.

There really is no other answer.

We will flounder under the burden of caring for the silver Tsunami as well as a flood of citizens who are for all intents and purposes, increasingly unemployable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2017, 06:24 AM

89,026 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
California bashing aside, and bless them for taking in the less fortunate, the mentally ill, the poorly educated... produced in the hard-hearted states, there are indeed stats that only look at means-tested programs.

Guess what? Most of the top spots are Republican states.

7 States With the Most People on Food Stamps
And again, you have to look at how those people vote. Food Stamp recipients overwhelmingly vote Dem, and there are Dem voters in Republican states.

Quote:
I give you points for hanging in there with the argument that more Democrats will be hurt than Republicans by the GOP slashing the safety net and throwing folks to sink or swim.
Exactly correct, because the GOP knows their voters are sick and tired of supporting themselves AND everyone else.

Sorry, but when feeding, clothing, and sheltering someone else takes food off my table, and money away from my clothing and housing budget, involuntarily, I'm not on board. Assistance programs should be voluntary contributions, charities, as many already are.

Old 06-24-2017, 06:26 AM

89,026 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
The middle class, and Blacks. Both well-known facts.

Old 06-24-2017, 06:33 AM

59,056 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
Cool so you a dem say that some dems will work with the Rs.... here is a hint, there are about 40 or more dems who would work the Rs on a good healthcare insurance bill.
And what is your point?

And can't you make make without insults.

ALL I did was state what I SAW.

If you want to add additional information, do so WITHOUT the condescending remarks.

P.S "Cool so you a dem "

Do NOT make claims that make you look like a fool.

I am on record here MANY times stating that I am a conservative and NOT a dem.

As they say, "Open mouth, insert foot"!

Old 06-24-2017, 06:34 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
We've covered this over and over.

Quote:
Everyone I know is much better off than they were 8 years ago. More folks working. Wages going up. Homes selling. Retirement accounts recovered. Longest period of economic and job growth in recent history.
The bottom stabilized. The top boomed. We could have done this without making the wealth gap so much larger. There are millions still struggling and they refused to vote for more of that. That is why Hillary lost Michigan and Pennsylvania. Got crushed in Ohio.

Quote:
Democrats should focus on that. Forget all the treating people fairly stuff. Focus on the jobs. That's the future.
That should have been done years ago BUT Obama installs one of the largest proponents of shipping jobs off shore when he appointed Immelt as his "jobs czar".

GE may be shipping $10 billion worth of work overseas - Business Insider

Obama said he would target companies that send jobs off shore but instead let them run things.

Quote:
Automation and artificial intelligence is eliminating jobs left and right. Corporations complain that they can't find adequately educated employees.
More Americans Falling Behind On Student Loans As Obama Administration Fixes Fail To Deliver

Document: More Americans Falling Behind On Student Loans As Obama Administration Fixes Fail To Deliver

Not being able to find trained employees is a lie also to import cheaper labor.

Quote:
The only way we are ever going to get on track is to develop a system of lifelong education, where a person laid off from one job can get vocational counseling and support in developing skills and knowledge more in demand in the marketplace.

There really is no other answer.

We will flounder under the burden of caring for the silver Tsunami as well as a flood of citizens who are for all intents and purposes, increasingly unemployable.
You have to have something for them to train for. What are they going to train to do? what are the millions of inner city unemployed going to train to do?

They saw trillions being created for the rich while all they got was platitudes.

Old 06-24-2017, 06:37 AM

16,759 posts, read 8,214,152 times
Back to the Original topic of this thread.

The Senate bill gets worse and worse. With the GOP unwilling to allow for proper committee involvement, it shows how bad this bill is.

It hurts those who need help the most and is totally in violation of the teaching's of the man they claim to worship.

Time to realize the GOP is there for one thing and one thing only, tax cuts for their large donors.

Old 06-24-2017, 06:42 AM

3,440 posts, read 2,527,335 times
So far, it sounds like if you're young and healthy and you opt out, it's going to cost more to get insurance when you need it, it will also cost more as you age, it will cost more if you have pre-existing conditions. This version of our national health care policy seems to have been crafted by the insurance companies. I thought the GOP railed that the federal government had no business legislating your health care? The democrats botched it, the republicans are going to botch it further, a total Washington SNAFU.

Old 06-24-2017, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtired14 View Post
So far, it sounds like if you're young and healthy and you opt out, it's going to cost more to get insurance when you need it, it will also cost more as you age, it will cost more if you have pre-existing conditions. This version of our national health care policy seems to have been crafted by the insurance companies. I thought the GOP railed that the federal government had no business legislating your health care? The democrats botched it, the republicans are going to botch it further, a total Washington SNAFU.
Yes, both parties are worshipping at the alter of Wall Street. There is a difference though. One party doesn't pretend otherwise. You can win by standing behind who you are. You are going to have a harder time pretending you are something.

Old 06-24-2017, 06:55 AM

727 posts, read 390,461 times
Some 380 posts in and it looks like there are two major camps -
  • Those who want health care for all, even for the other camp
  • Those who don't want health care for anyone
So maybe we go with single payer health care for all and include an opt out clause. If you don't want it, you can opt out.

I wonder how many opponents of health care for all would check the opt out box?

Old 06-24-2017, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimChi2PG View Post
Some 380 posts in and it looks like there are two major camps -
  • Those who want health care for all, even for the other camp
  • Those who don't want health care for anyone
So maybe we go with single payer health care for all and include an opt out clause. If you don't want it, you can opt out.

I wonder how many opponents of health care for all would check the opt out box?
The question is how do we go about getting health care for all?

"Russia" isn't going to do it.

Forget it isn't going to do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies