Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2017, 01:51 AM

4,765 posts, read 3,733,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
worse than "If you like your doctor you can keep your doctor"? Or "You'll save $2500/year!"?
Did the vast majority have to change doctors?

An older married couple (one child) with no employer coverage and $75,000 in annual income can save far more than $2500/year. Far more!

Subsidy Calculator Widget

Old 06-23-2017, 01:58 AM

Quote:
The point that I will continue to make is that no government involvement is the best way to do it. 8 years ago we argued that we didn't need it...now the GOP is conceding the "need" for it.

Fact is, one can get covered for $150 a month without Obamacare. We don't need obamacare, and we don't need a GOP debacle of a bill to try to fix it.
If "one" can get better coverage without Obamacare they should do exactly that.

Now post up age and coverage details for this $150/month plan. If you think that anyone over the age of 40 can buy the equivalent of a "silver" plan for $150/month , I've got an Ark to sell you. If you are a young person, good luck when you hit 50 and lose your job!

An Obamacare silver plan estimate for a 40 year old, pretty close to industry averages runs at appx $323/month:

http://www.kff.org/wp-content/themes...or-widget.html

Old 06-23-2017, 02:01 AM

Would anyone like to address the actual point of the OP?

Is this what Trump and the GOP promised?

How is it better than Obamacare for those in need of health care?

Bueller?

Old 06-23-2017, 02:05 AM

33,544 posts, read 37,145,710 times
Quote:
worse than "If you like your doctor you can keep your doctor"? Or "You'll save $2500/year!"?
Much worse...

Old 06-23-2017, 02:06 AM

5,315 posts, read 2,114,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaker281 View Post
Would anyone like to address the actual point of the OP?

Is this what Trump and the GOP promised?

How is it better than Obamacare for those in need of health care?

Bueller?
It does not seem to fit his promise of better insurance for all at a lower cost, for one, and also does not meet the Tweets (still weird we are discussing Tweets in such a formal fashion) and other statements by him concerning the other points to a satisfactory degree.

Old 06-23-2017, 02:07 AM

A married 58 year old couple with $60,000 annual income (Silver plan):

Estimated financial help: $954 per month ($11,444 per year) premium tax credit. This covers 66% of the monthly costs.

Your cost for a silver plan: $485 per month ($5,814 per year) in premiums (which equals 9.69% of your household income).

Without financial help, your silver plan would cost: $1,438 per month ($17,258 per year)

The number in red is almost exactly what group coverage for a 58 year old married couple is through an employer.

God help you if you have a pre-existing condition though.

Old 06-23-2017, 02:15 AM

5,315 posts, read 2,114,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
I disagree. One never knows what those dishonest peoples beliefs are.

One can call trump out for horrible polices and lying at the same time exposing the hypocrisy from the left. Calling trump out while staying silent when the dems did the same thing holds no water, none. I never give credibility to flip floppers and partisan hypocrites. No one should.
It's always about policy.
What dishonest people's beliefs? I am talking about the hyper-partisanship that has been growing over time. There was always partisanship, as people may decide that they have a great affinity for a specific party or belief (I don't have a party).

Now it's devolved into this notion that the other side is the worst thing ever (I see people in here using the word enemy) and should be treated as such. Can we break the cycle and talk about the issue at present without trying for the gotchas of interjecting with previous members of the "enemy" at every second possible? It needs to ease up or we can't get back to the art of compromise and actually trying to figure out what will work the best for the maximum number of Americans.

How does interjecting with what former president Obama did answer a question about whether Trump's plan is matching his promises?

Last edited by latimeria; 06-23-2017 at 02:35 AM..

Old 06-23-2017, 02:20 AM

3,261 posts, read 3,705,936 times
Look Trump has been in office for some months now, and I can't believe some people have not yet realised what sort of person he is. He is a b...s....er pure and simple.

People take it for granted that politicians will often lie to them, but Trump has taken dishonesty to another level. He is a fabulist, and will probably be remembered as the worst president in US history.

Old 06-23-2017, 02:26 AM

33,544 posts, read 37,145,710 times
I sincerely feel bad for you folks....I'm in BC Canada, am 77 years old and have several pre-existing conditions including type2 diabetes, atrial fibrillation, hypertension, and peripheral artery disease.....When you get old, just like an old car your body starts to fall apart... My health insurance premiums are $75 per month, and before someone says "but your taxes are sky high" they aren't much higher than yours..

U.S.
federal income tax brackets range from 10% to 35% for individuals. On the Canadian side, the range is 15% to 29%. In the U.S., the lowest tax bracket bumps to 15% at $8,500 and to 25% at $34,501. The bottom Canadian bracket stays at 15% until $41,544. Do Canadians Really Pay More Taxes Than Americans?

What I can't really understand is why a country as rich as yours cannot seem to come up with an affordable plan that covers everyone as our does....It boggles my mind!

Old 06-23-2017, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
I sincerely feel bad for you folks....I'm in BC Canada, am 77 years old and have several pre-existing conditions including type2 diabetes, atrial fibrillation, hypertension, and peripheral artery disease.....When you get old, just like an old car your body starts to fall apart... My health insurance premiums are $75 per month, and before someone says "but your taxes are sky high" they aren't much higher than yours..

U.S.
federal income tax brackets range from 10% to 35% for individuals. On the Canadian side, the range is 15% to 29%. In the U.S., the lowest tax bracket bumps to 15% at $8,500 and to 25% at $34,501. The bottom Canadian bracket stays at 15% until $41,544. Do Canadians Really Pay More Taxes Than Americans?

What I can't really understand is why a country as rich as yours cannot seem to come up with an affordable plan that covers everyone as our does....It boggles my mind!
Even more boggling is that a whole lot of people who need or want health care improvements are shooting themselves in both feet. They have been convinced Obamacare if "failing" and that rushing through Congress this GOP plan is perfectly fine, since they voted GOP.

No matter who I vote for, I don't support policies that are harmful to myself, my friends or society.
I am one of the lucky ones with great employer based coverage and at this point I am cheering the GOPs new plan, if only to teach them a lesson, which I suspect will be lost on them anyhow.

To use your words, it is mind boggling!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies