Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2017, 08:29 PM

56,989 posts, read 35,168,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
No, as it was in UTC's best interest to listen to a POTUS as UTC is gov't contract dependent.
So then making profits ISN'T utmost paramount in business! That's a change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2017, 08:36 PM

33,983 posts, read 17,018,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
So then making profits ISN'T utmost paramount in business! That's a change.
Making maximum profits as a parent corp is more important than maximizing profits at a subsidiary.

UTC did not want to risk far more profits overall than the amount up for grabs at Carrier Indiana plant.

Old 06-23-2017, 09:26 PM

4,580 posts, read 3,404,194 times
I go a nearby Walmart Neighborhood Markets on my way home from work. At 9:15 PM, they have 1 of 4 people registers open and 3 of 12 self check outs open and a new twist, only one of the self registers accepts or dispenses cash. This scenario plus out ever night always with long check out lines. I asked the manager why there were not more self check outs open and was told they are expensive to operate.

About 10 years ago when I was ending my career with Jack in the Box, they were experimenting with order kiosks and found that though there were savings, it was nowhere near the amounts projected.

McDonalds needs to find a way to get there Big Mac combo down to $5. That is where the price point was a year ago before they engaged in a local wave of store reconstructions. After the new store reopened, the Big Mac combo slowly incresed to $6.29, at that price point I just go to the all you can eat China Buffet next door for $6.99. MC Donald's will not recover from their side unless these kiosks result in a 25% price decrease.

I was in a McDonalds last Tuesday and was held up 20 mins while an AA woman screamed "hate crime" at the top of her lungs because her CC was declined. I am waiting for the day a kiosk gets shot up.

Old 06-24-2017, 01:07 AM

27,117 posts, read 13,413,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC76-81 View Post
Clearly we should really only compare McDonalds to fellow junk food chains such as Wendy's, Jack in the Box, Burger King, etc. You just can't compare McDonalds to real burger joints. There is absolutely no comparison between the two.

Agreed - indeed one of the smartest moves by McDonalds was simply making the Breakfast All Day.

All-day breakfast helps fuel McDonald's profits - The Irish Times

All-day breakfast awakens McDonald's sales for a third consecutive quarter - Guardian

McMuffins to the rescue? McDonald's sales jump as breakfast offered all day - Guardian

Millennials are willing to pay more for their burger and often do go to real burger joints, although McDonalds has tried to compete by introducing new fresh produce, 100% fresh locally sourced meat policy, an upmarket range itself and by introducing new burgers, based on US States in to places like the UK, as well as waitress table service, and even home deliversies. Whilst it's restaurants now look very different to the old McDonalds.

Promotions :: McDonalds.co.uk

Signature Collection :: McDonalds.co.uk

McDonalds are one of the few chains, that seem to do things very differently according to the local market they are operating in, indeed an American might not recognise many of the things on the menu in McDonalds in different parts of Europe, Japan or Asia etc.

It seems that it is paying off to some extent, and this shows in the latest profits.

Last edited by Brave New World; 06-24-2017 at 01:41 AM..

Old 06-24-2017, 01:45 AM

33,247 posts, read 12,469,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"albeit temporarily supposed to put themselves through college?"

A couple of my relatives did it.

1st, go to a Community College for your 1st 2 years THEN transfer to a 4 year college.

Do NOT expect to graduate in 4 years. MANY people have taken 5, 6, 7 and even 10y ears to get their degree.

Many people work real full time jobs and go go college part time, taking 1 or 2 courses a semester.

Live at home and don't EXPECT to to go college and live on campus.

Hundreds of thousands of people have done it and continue to do it today.

It depends on how badly you want it.
^^^^^ And it will be easier if you don't concieve children during that time.

Old 06-24-2017, 07:03 AM

58,936 posts, read 27,247,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BicoastalAnn View Post
Actually I'd go even further and say, these days, technology has made it easier than ever for people without even a HS degree to make money. Youtube, instagram, etc. has made regular people who may have nothing but an opinion millionaires.

Btw, liberal arts degrees aren't inherently worthless however it does tend to attract people who only want to live and breathe liberal arts, and that's the problem. I have a liberal arts degree and do pretty well, as do many others I know.
"Btw, liberal arts degrees aren't inherently worthless however it does tend to attract people who only want to live and breathe liberal arts, and that's the problem."

I agree.

"I have a liberal arts degree and do pretty well, as do many others I know"

I don't doubt you for a minute.

The problem I see is so many on here laud a "college degree" as if it is the Holy Grail.

ANY degree is just a piece of earned paper.

An educations is great BUT, it is WHAT YOU DO WITH THAT EDUCATION that counts.

If you can't apply what you have learned, well?

Too many Liberal Arts degrees do not teach you how to do anything.

You can teach someone all day long how to drive a nail but, that does not mean they can.

You can get a business degree but, that does NOT mean you can start and run a successful business.

If you CAN'T use the "tools" taught you, it was a waste of time.

Old 06-24-2017, 10:05 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,854,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
An educations is great BUT, it is WHAT YOU DO WITH THAT EDUCATION that counts.

If you can't apply what you have learned, well?

Too many Liberal Arts degrees do not teach you how to do anything.

You can teach someone all day long how to drive a nail but, that does not mean they can.

You can get a business degree but, that does NOT mean you can start and run a successful business.

If you CAN'T use the "tools" taught you, it was a waste of time.
Ah, yes. The old "education vs. training" issue.

Ask yourself this question:

If you had a 14 or 15 year old daughter, would you rather that the public schools provide:

a) Sex Education
b) Sex Training

Old 06-24-2017, 10:46 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,780,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
well, there's a bunch of $15/hour jobs up in a cloud of French-fry smoke.
It wasn't like nobody had a clue... well, except those believing companies wouldn't make "other arrangements" knowing a $15 minimum wage would blow their bottom line.

Sometimes you get what you wish for, and end up with nothing.

Old 06-24-2017, 10:50 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,579,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Ah, yes. The old "education vs. training" issue.

Ask yourself this question:

If you had a 14 or 15 year old daughter, would you rather that the public schools provide:

a) Sex Education
b) Sex Training
Best post I've seen in a while. You win the internet 🏆

Old 06-24-2017, 11:57 AM

22,652 posts, read 24,563,352 times
Automation/computer-kiosks in retail-outlets, will get more and more prevalent, as the technology gets more and more refined. I am a fan, not having to deal-with the average, rude
retail-drone-employee is a BIG plus for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies