Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2017, 07:35 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,729,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
A long-time friend who works in conference planning is clear that conference planners are keenly aware of avoiding conference sites in certain states.

The organizations that hire her firm don't want the grief associated with a conference in a controversial state.

Some time ago, I asked her if she had any conferences coming up in North Carolina as I'd love to see her.

She laughed. Said scheduling a conference in a state where you had to bring your birth certificate to use the bathroom wasn't happening.
beat me to it...............
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2017, 07:36 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,882,675 times
I guess next time California has one of their out of control wild fires burning out of control, they won't want fire fighters coming from other states to help them.
Maybe they can put some of those millions of illegals that they shelter to work, putting out those fires.

Old 06-23-2017, 07:38 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,730,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaker281 View Post
Nope. An employer (public or private) can decide whether to fund business trips or not and the courts have zero say in that. Private "U.S. citizens" are not being restricted from "conducting business", the state is refusing to fund state business travel for it's employees.

Denying people travel access based on religion is prohibited by our constitution. Why the SCOTUS is looking at it right now. And why the Trump administration lawyers are trying to avoid the term "Muslim Travel Ban", despite Trumps best efforts to undermine his own case. LOL

Nice attempt at spin. Trump's ban is being challenged in court, this will never be challenged in court, as it is perfectly legal. I hope you were just hoping to win "debate points" and that was not your best thinking.

Note that first we are talking about "non essential" travel. Meaning no conferences or symposiums, which are basically wastes of taxpayer dollars anyhow and amount to "tourist" travel on the taxpayers dime.
Sounds like a violation of the "commerce clause" to me. If this isn't a ban on interstate commerce, I don't know what is.

Old 06-23-2017, 07:39 AM

51,654 posts, read 25,828,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
I hope the understand the no one plans boondoggles in Mississippi or Kansas. ...
I hope everyone understands this is a lie.

The Mississippi Coast Coliseum and Convention Center in Biloxi, the Jackson Convention Center in Jackson, MS, the Kansas City Convention Center, the Overland Park Convention Center, ... and all sorts of facilities in both states host conferences and conventions on a regular basis.

Old 06-23-2017, 07:39 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times
I'm all for cutting Texas / Alsaka oil and gas off from states like California.

Cut off their water supply also.

Old 06-23-2017, 07:40 AM

51,654 posts, read 25,828,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
Sounds like a violation of the "commerce clause" to me. If this isn't a ban on interstate commerce, I don't know what is.
You don't know what is.

Old 06-23-2017, 07:42 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,311,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaker281 View Post
Oops, I guess Trump U will revoke nonsenseguy's law credentials now!
Well that's cute, but most of you Leftists are clueless about the Constitution and the powers delegated to the Federal Government by it and those reserved to the States. So, I'm way ahead of you. I've at least taken a Constitution course (college level: Constitution 101, 201).

There was a reason I asked the question, because an AG can't make law. Apparently nobody else cares, or at least didn't bother to ask.

Old 06-23-2017, 07:43 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times
CA is just pizzed off because all the companies like Toyota bailing on the state for greener pastures.

Old 06-23-2017, 07:50 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,311,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
What if Texas decided not to pay for state funded travel to Sanctuary cities/states since it is clearly violating federal immigration laws?
Sanctuary cities are in violation of the Constitution, which California ratified, agreeing to delegate to the Federal Government the authority to establish uniform immigration and naturalization laws, and establish penalties for violating those laws (including deportation). They cannot establish their own rules for immigration, nor can they refuse to enforce Federal Law. This is why they have no basis for challenging Donald Trumps call to withhold Federal dollars from States that violate our Laws. They have agreed, by ratifying the Constitution, to abide by that Contract.

Old 06-23-2017, 07:52 AM

16,603 posts, read 8,615,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I think it's time for conservative states to find a favorable judge to throw out this illegal, unjust and discriminatory law.
You are going to be hard pressed to find a conservative judge in CA with all the lunes like Gov Moonbeam appointing them.

Frankly, let them do what they want within the state, as they are headed for a fiscal fall in the future.
I just want our representatives to make sure never to bail them out for their liberal lunacy.
If a natural disaster befalls them, then sure we will pitch in. However if their economy collapses because of their own irresponsible governance, not a dime of federal money should be sent. They are making their bed with the fools they elect to run their state, so let them sleep in the bed they made for themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies