Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2017, 03:47 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,842,780 times

Advertisements

WASHINGTON — Senate Republicans are in for a rough, if not impossible time passing their latest health care plan to repeal and replace President Barack Obama’s Affordable Care Act.

A draft carefully crafted in secret and designed to appeal to the GOP’s conservative right and moderate wings managed to do neither when its details were finally unveiled on Thursday.

“It does not appear this draft as written will accomplish the most important promise that we made to Americans: to repeal Obamacare and lower their health care costs,” said a statement from four other conservative Republican senators.

Among other senators, Sen. Marco Rubio, R-Fla., said he would “continue to reach out for input and suggested changes from Florida providers, insurers and patient advocate groups.”

But to get to even 50, Republicans have a lot of persuading and rewriting to do on a host of concerns, including abortion policy, Medicaid expansion and whether the plan follows the “Jimmy Kimmel test.” The ABC late night talk show host stirred lawmakers recently with an emotional description of his infant son’s hospitalization, urging that people have access to medical attention.
GOP fights with itself over new health care plan

Actually I feel better knowing there are some Republican Senators who are NOT all about further enriching the rich and screwing the non-elites, like the POS Mitch McConnel ,Mike Pence, and Paul Ryan are.

Old 06-23-2017, 06:31 AM

16,761 posts, read 8,207,350 times
Do not forget the POTUS who said that he likes his cabinet to be rich guys. Elitist

Old 06-23-2017, 06:35 AM

39,073 posts, read 51,199,205 times
I do hope the Republicans can set aside their differences and pass this bill. Painful as it is, it will be good for America, because it might end this irrational affinity working people have for the Republican party and get them voting for their own best interests once again.

Old 06-23-2017, 06:52 AM

17,003 posts, read 12,583,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I do hope the Republicans can set aside their differences and pass this bill. Painful as it is, it will be good for America, because it might end this irrational affinity working people have for the Republican party and get them voting for their own best interests once again.
Wont happen. There are significant numbers of [non urban] poor people for whom the local GOP congressman could come to their house, beat everyone with a baseball bat and set the place on fire and they would still vote for him/her.

Old 06-23-2017, 06:53 AM

11,221 posts, read 8,292,938 times
Quote:
I am glad that I resisted my urge to stop reading so I could vomit at the notion that this bill is good for America in any way. After reading your justification, I see where you're going with this.

Not sure that is the best approach, but I agree with your sentiment.

Old 06-23-2017, 06:58 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times
Quote:
... Painful as it is, it will be good for America, because it might end this irrational affinity working people have for the Republican party and get them voting for their own best interests once again.
One can only hope.

Old 06-23-2017, 07:00 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
WASHINGTON — Senate Republicans are in for a rough, if not impossible time passing their latest health care plan to repeal and replace President Barack Obama’s Affordable Care Act.

A draft carefully crafted in secret and designed to appeal to the GOP’s conservative right and moderate wings managed to do neither when its details were finally unveiled on Thursday.

“It does not appear this draft as written will accomplish the most important promise that we made to Americans: to repeal Obamacare and lower their health care costs,” said a statement from four other conservative Republican senators.

Among other senators, Sen. Marco Rubio, R-Fla., said he would “continue to reach out for input and suggested changes from Florida providers, insurers and patient advocate groups.”

But to get to even 50, Republicans have a lot of persuading and rewriting to do on a host of concerns, including abortion policy, Medicaid expansion and whether the plan follows the “Jimmy Kimmel test.” The ABC late night talk show host stirred lawmakers recently with an emotional description of his infant son’s hospitalization, urging that people have access to medical attention.

Actually I feel better knowing there are some Republican Senators who are NOT all about further enriching the rich and screwing the non-elites, like the POS Mitch McConnel ,Mike Pence, and Paul Ryan are.

It is just a different version of government in our business and controlling our lives.

What does government earn? Nothing! They take everything they have.
What can government do for you?

Old 06-23-2017, 07:01 AM

45,542 posts, read 27,152,040 times
This is how government is supposed to work.

I know Democrats in Congress expect lockstep allegiance and remove any critical thinking from their process. Thankfully everyone does not work that way.

Old 06-23-2017, 07:20 AM

77,005 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
Symbolic fighting. In the end they will do as they are told.

Likewise, Trump called the bill "mean", but made no suggestion that he would veto it. He will sign the mean bill into law, and it will be called Trump "mean" Care.

Old 06-23-2017, 07:39 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,640,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
Do not forget the POTUS who said that he likes his cabinet to be rich guys. Elitist
Another thing people shouldn't forget, if they ever knew it, is being wealthy doesn't make you an elitist. Working in your own interest doesn't make you an elitist either. Working in the interest of others certainly doesn't make you an elitist.
Actually knowing what an elitist is helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies