Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2017, 07:56 AM

31,910 posts, read 26,979,379 times

Advertisements

The New York Times (aka the old Grey Lady) has been in trouble for years now, and recent events are only the rash brought out by the disease.

Things began going badly for NYT after a string of major issues with reporters including a few or more fired for plagiarizing. This included African-American Jayson Blair who was fired for plagiarism and caused a huge outcry over then New York Times efforts or whatever at "diversity"

Then came the problems with how the NYT covered news and or editorial content. Stories would be done omitting and or making up facts that after being called out cause the NYT to issue corrections/retractions. For instance the NYT went on the war path about some development here in NYC that was going to use eminent domain to secure needed real estate. No where in the two page article did the NYT mention that eminent domain was exactly how they got their new offices on 8th Avenue in the Garment Center of NYC.

In another example the NYT did some harsh reporting about wealthy and use of trusts to avoid paying taxes. Not once mentioning that the Sulzberger family (owners of the NYT) use the exact same tax treatments to shield their wealth.

More problems came during the run up and duration of Iraq War II where the NYT largely gave the Bush administration a pass. By this one means they were accused of not reporting events as what was really going on and or doing the sort of active journalism to report truthful events. Later the NYT would apologize for those lapses in an editorial mea culpa.

What really began to get some people turned off to the NYT was their increasing social activism; to wit gay "equality".

It began with the NYT announcing that the paper would include same sex "partnership" or "marriages" (Canada had just made gay marriages legal), and went on to the point some issues you didn't know if you were reading the NYT or the Advocate. Every other day and nearly every Sunday issue there was something front page and or in the magazine section promoting LGBT.

After the SCOTUS made same sex marriage legal across the USA the NYT moved onto transgenders for the same treatment. A few Sunday's ago they did a full feature article on Bradley Manning including a cover photo of his transformation...

All this going on when print media in general is dying, and has been for the last decade or more.

What started with the internet "revolution" in the 1990's has now made online media a potent force. So much so advertisers are either abandoning or drastically cutting back dollars for all sorts of print media, and instead focusing on internet/online.

Newspaper sales have been plummeting for the past decade or two, and show no signs of really recovering. Hardly anyone under say 35 or so reads anything in print including a newspaper. They get everything on their phones, tablets, or other devices.

The New York Times like other newspapers and printed media have been trying to adjust to this new world. But so far none have hit on a winning formula.

Worse still is the fact there are scores if not hundreds (or thousands) of ways to get news these days, and the young (among others) are flocking to them. Phones, tablets, etc... any device with an internet connection brings a world of information to one's fingertips. I read several news sites daily (Google, BBC, France2. Liberation.fr ) and rarely bother with the NYT anymore.

Old 06-24-2017, 07:57 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Trumplings...

So angry that the NYT is thriving while Fox News is plummeting.

Shares of New York Times surge after subscriber growth

Carry on.

They don't read newspapers so apparently that print is a failing media is news to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Books.............bad !

Newspapers.....bad !

Information......bad !

Knowledge.......bad !

Kool Aid..........yum !!!!!!!!!!!!
Over and over again; this is what I see.

Old 06-24-2017, 08:14 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
New York Times bloodbath could include reporter jobs | New York Post

You think they would stop with the yellow journalism and stop with smearing the President and his staff..but i think they would rather go bankrupt and put hundreds of people out of work rather than report the news fairly..
All print newspapers have and will continue to shed jobs because of plummeting print ad revenues because of technology substitution.

Typically employees with seniority and higher wages are targeted for early retirement. They are often replaced with new staff with different skill sets, digital, video, mobile and audio.

BTW, employment in the coal industry peaked in the 1920's. Technology substitution, over time, has eliminated more jobs than regulation.

Sorry to read so many here seem to take delight in people losing their jobs.

Old 06-24-2017, 08:18 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
They don't read newspapers so apparently that print is a failing media is news to them.

Over and over again; this is what I see.
Define "they"?

Old 06-24-2017, 08:20 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,938,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
New York Times bloodbath could include reporter jobs | New York Post

You think they would stop with the yellow journalism and stop with smearing the President and his staff..but i think they would rather go bankrupt and put hundreds of people out of work rather than report the news fairly..
Umm, companies across America are laying off people, guess the putting America back to work rhetoric was just that, rhetoric.

Old 06-24-2017, 08:33 AM

23,558 posts, read 17,227,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
Newspaper sales have been dropping for the last 2 decades. All of them! Where have you been?
Coincidently puppy, hamster and parakeet sales have dropped off on a curve that matches the loss of print media. Newspaper is indespensible for home breaking puppies and lining parakeet and hamster cages.

If you ever read the NYTs published a few decades ago and look at it now, it is clear while it is failing. Additionally the NYTs is a bastione of newspapers and while the print industry is fading the NYT's has exacerbated its demise by becoming a banana republic propaganda rag thansk to the guy from south of the border. A magnamous philantropist who has done nothing to stop the mass migration from Mexico. Of course when you live in a country so corrupt as mexico, you think being a propaganda machine is par for the course and an honorable pursuit.

Old 06-24-2017, 08:54 AM

27,567 posts, read 28,665,617 times
I bet that Comey's testimony exposing the NYT's fake news article about Trump-Russia collusion cost a lot of people their jobs.

Old 06-24-2017, 08:56 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,340,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I bet that Comey's testimony exposing the NYT's fake news article about Trump-Russia collusion cost a lot of people their jobs.
Given that never happened, and you're making stuff up, I bet you're parroting some idiocy from Sean Hannity or Infowars or something.

Old 06-24-2017, 09:03 AM

27,567 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Given that never happened, and you're making stuff up, I bet you're parroting some idiocy from Sean Hannity or Infowars or something.
What? I'm stating what Comey himself exposed, right from the horse's mouth:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0geLKRdM6jA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mts1U1TmZ1I

The first video is referring to this article:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/14/u...ons-trump.html

Old 06-24-2017, 09:25 AM

50,291 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
My opinion is based on the posts I read here and elsewhere.
So, off the internet just like the laid off editors. Got it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies