Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2017, 07:35 AM

487 posts, read 1,815,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
IF you don't leave and sell while your property still has value it may become worthless in a matter of a year or more, that's what you need to understand.
What makes the house become worthless? The fact that a Black family moved in that makes the same money as the white families and most likely has the same values or the fact that all the White people think that this one Black family is going to ruin the neighborhood so they have to all leave at once and sell their homes for less than they are worth. Why not stay and live with the Black family, you might become great friends and your neighborhood won't change. Oh, I understand, I was being facetious.

Old 06-28-2017, 08:10 AM

11,582 posts, read 6,733,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAB6120 View Post
What makes the house become worthless? The fact that a Black family moved in that makes the same money as the white families and most likely has the same values or the fact that all the White people think that this one Black family is going to ruin the neighborhood so they have to all leave at once and sell their homes for less than they are worth. Why not stay and live with the Black family, you might become great friends and your neighborhood won't change. Oh, I understand, I was being facetious.
We are in a predominantly white town now and a few black and Hispanic families have moved in. No one is selling because of it. They are middle to upper class families that have good jobs and take care of their yards.

A neighborhood goes bad and becomes worthless when people don't take care of their properties and sell them for dirt cheap allowing low income families such as section 8 to move in and investors buying up the distressed properties and renting them out (turning them into slums). White families freak out that their values are decreasing and move.

For example: Riverdale, Illinois was predominately white. People stayed in their homes 30-40 years or more. As the neighborhood got older and the residents passed away, the heirs had a home to sell that had not been updated that entire time and therefore sold for VERY cheap. Minorities came in from the city (Chicago) and bought them or investors bought them and rented them out. As more and more minorities moved in the remaining white families moved out until the town turned predominantly black. Unfortunately, most of these minorities were lower income. They did not have the money to make repairs to the home which further decreased their values. Yard looked terrible and businesses started to move out.

For the record.....I'm not saying that people who use section 8 are bad people. They are not. And all landlords are not bad either. I was just giving an example of how white flight happens.

Old 06-28-2017, 08:13 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,282,765 times
Way back when I lived in eastern Wisconsin, northridge mall closed due to a bunch of subsidized housing that was built nearby.. whenever you use section 8 housing to introduce lower class people into middle class or upper middle class locations, it's a recipe for problems.

The upper class communities of Mequon, Cederburg, and Grafton have done a good job since I relocated in keeping their towns clean, low crime, and keep out the riff-raff. This is an area with a large republican base so no section 8 housing has ever managed to gain a foothold in these locations. It's a highly desirable area to live, in my opinion, along with Saukville, Port Washington, and Belgium.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ozaukee_County,_Wisconsin

"As of the 2000 Census, Ozaukee County had the 2nd lowest poverty rate of any county in the United States, at 2.6%. In terms of per capita income, it is the 25th wealthiest county in the country. Bolstered by low crime rates and school districts with high graduation rates, Forbes magazine ranked Ozaukee County #2 on its list of "America's Best Places To Raise A Family" in June, 2008.[3]"

Last edited by sholomar; 06-28-2017 at 08:26 AM..

Old 06-28-2017, 08:31 AM

6,393 posts, read 4,113,787 times
Quote:
Typical kneejerk reaction. It's not the fact that they are a black family. I couldn't care less what race they are. I'm not white, by the way. It's whether they take care of their home and yard or not.

Old 06-28-2017, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
Typical kneejerk reaction. It's not the fact that they are a black family. I couldn't care less what race they are. I'm not white, by the way. It's whether they take care of their home and yard or not.
So White flight happens when another White family moves in and don't take care of their yard? I live in a community with plenty of White families that don't take care of there yards, don't see any of them moving.

Old 06-28-2017, 09:03 AM

18,129 posts, read 25,278,015 times
White flight is something from the past
Today is "rich flight" .... but nobody wants to admit it

Old 06-28-2017, 09:13 AM

6,393 posts, read 4,113,787 times
Quote:
So White flight happens when another White family moves in and don't take care of their yard? I live in a community with plenty of White families that don't take care of there yards, don't see any of them moving.
We are talking in generalities here. Your single example does not negate history.

Old 06-28-2017, 09:37 AM

11,582 posts, read 6,733,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
White flight is something from the past
Today is "rich flight" .... but nobody wants to admit it
No, depending on where you're at "white flight" is very real still. At least it is in the Chicagoland/NW Indiana area!

Old 06-28-2017, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
We are talking in generalities here. Your single example does not negate history.
What's the history of White flight? White flight has always been about White people leaving an area because another race moves in, that's why it's called White flight and not rich flight or human flight, etc. You repeating that it's not about race does not make it so. I can show you plenty of un-kept " white neighborhoods". Manicured lawns and well maintained homes has nothing to do with White flight. Granted, White flight is no-where near what it use to be but still exists, races and nationalities are now self segregating.

Old 06-28-2017, 10:15 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
It varies regionally...

I follow several neighborhoods here in Oakland CA

One was all white up until 1966 and by 1969 was 80% African American.

Fast forward and the every home bought in the last 10 years has gone LGBT of all races... Asian, white, black...

My first home in Oakland was a neighborhood where all the original white families stayed until the 70's/80's selling to black families who later sold to Asian families in the early 90's who sold to Spanish Speaking families after that and then came the Real Estate Bust.

Since then every home sold has been to young 20/30 something couples... mostly white or mixed couples...

So in 45 years the neighborhood has come just about full circle...

Only two Black families remain and two Spanish speaking whereas there had been at least 80% for each...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies