Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2017, 10:20 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
Way back when I lived in eastern Wisconsin, northridge mall closed due to a bunch of subsidized housing that was built nearby.. whenever you use section 8 housing to introduce lower class people into middle class or upper middle class locations, it's a recipe for problems.

The upper class communities of Mequon, Cederburg, and Grafton have done a good job since I relocated in keeping their towns clean, low crime, and keep out the riff-raff. This is an area with a large republican base so no section 8 housing has ever managed to gain a foothold in these locations. It's a highly desirable area to live, in my opinion, along with Saukville, Port Washington, and Belgium.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ozaukee_County,_Wisconsin

"As of the 2000 Census, Ozaukee County had the 2nd lowest poverty rate of any county in the United States, at 2.6%. In terms of per capita income, it is the 25th wealthiest county in the country. Bolstered by low crime rates and school districts with high graduation rates, Forbes magazine ranked Ozaukee County #2 on its list of "America's Best Places To Raise A Family" in June, 2008.[3]"
The entire premise of Section 8 is to move and decentralize low income families out of the projects...

Section 8 is universal with the only real limiting factor being rent does not exceed the payment established payment standard.

Old 06-28-2017, 10:42 AM

4,231 posts, read 15,421,974 times
Very similar situation in Valley Stream - my HS graduation class in the late 60's had well over 600 students and I could prob. count on one hand how many weren't minorities. Although I haven't kept up w/ it (moved away and only went back a handful of times), I know the population has radically changed over the years, I highly doubt any of the original owners stayed there (of course the homes w/b 65-70 yo now). I used to walk to Green Acres (mall) through part of Rosedale but as close as we were located to Rosedale (some of Queens), I spent very little time there. Went to a church in Elmont and the demographics were pretty similar to the part of VS where I lived. Time marches on, I guess...

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyeaux View Post
Yes, twingles, I know that story well. Same happened in Rosedale, Queens, NY.

Rosedale: The Way It Is | BillMoyers.com

I knew some of the young people speaking in the clip in this link. I remember being just plain scared when the Spencers moved in because of all the ugly talk around town. I was 14 years old. My brother's best friend is one of the boys speaking. My parents tried to shield us from it. We lived on the other side of town from the Spencer house. But my parents told us we couldn't bring any black friends home anymore. I only had black friends because I went to a private high school in the county center, not locally. I realized later how unique we were in that town: my parents were not racists.

Documentary about Gentrification/Housing Segregation, Featuring LaGuardia Theater Students, to be showcased at 2017 Queens World Film Festival on Friday, March 17, 2017 – CUNY Newswire

Rosedale was a town populated by many families of white NYC police and firemen. They were the first to sell. Most of the houses were sold to Caribbean island families first; then these one-family owner-occupied homes were turned in 2 family rentals. By then the public high school was a powder keg exploding every other day. This was 1970 to ... seems like decades of the town going down with the small strip of "Main Street" losing the bakeries, butchers and eventually the 2 smallish supermarkets.

The overall town has stabilized and many people think it a desirable place to live today --- but there are few white people there.

Old 06-28-2017, 11:06 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,829,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spottednikes View Post
....But black kids that attended were upper class financially, and treated just like everyone else. ... I personally believe the white flight is more abut financial status and less about color.
I know this flies in the face of the "PC race card," but, in reality, when people behave like everyone else, they are treated like everyone else. In this respect, I question whether 'white flight' is about either "financial "status" or color.

I think it is more of a reaction to a stereotypical fear that area housing will not be maintained and will lose value -- or that drugs and 'gang-bangers' will overtake the area.

While some may declare this racism or racial profiling, the stark image of black, inner-city neighborhoods (from which 'black flight' occurs) speaks for itself.

Old 06-28-2017, 11:23 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,585,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
IF you don't leave and sell while your property still has value it may become worthless in a matter of a year or more, that's what you need to understand.
This is what happened to my former father-in-law. He's in his 80's and what was once a German/Polish/Italian neighborhood is now a crime-ridden ghetto. But he won't move from the house he has lived in for 45 years. And every year the FMV of his house drops. This is in Warren, Ohio.

Old 06-28-2017, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAB6120 View Post
What makes the house become worthless? The fact that a Black family moved in that makes the same money as the white families and most likely has the same values or the fact that all the White people think that this one Black family is going to ruin the neighborhood so they have to all leave at once and sell their homes for less than they are worth. Why not stay and live with the Black family, you might become great friends and your neighborhood won't change. Oh, I understand, I was being facetious.
The fact that as crime goes up, fewer people will want to move into that neighborhood. As a result, the value of a house decreases, as there is little interest in it. Supply and demand are not static. And that lesson is lost on all too many people.

Old 06-28-2017, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
The entire premise of Section 8 is to move and decentralize low income families out of the projects...

Section 8 is universal with the only real limiting factor being rent does not exceed the payment established payment standard.
That may be the premise, but give me once instance where an influx of Section 8 tenants, where there were none before, has made a neighborhood a better place to live in.

Old 06-28-2017, 11:58 AM

35,060 posts, read 31,284,584 times
It cuts both ways. I lived in Indianapolis for three years. Many now first ring type townships were once suburban areas where white people lived. Those have now declined in value as newer, nicer suburbs were built out on the outskirts. Poorer minorities have taken these over. These neighborhoods vary in quality.

In many truly urban neighborhoods, well-to-do (mostly white) gentrifiers have come in and turned in once poor minority neighborhoods into expensive places.

Old 06-28-2017, 12:01 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,754,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post

There are no longer any projects none that I know of, and if anyone thinks section 8 is a problem, and it can be, try applying and you will see you can't because in most places you can't even get on the wait list. Section 8 does not have unlimited funds.

A lot of better off whites still want to live near the city so they have moved into gated communities.

Old 06-28-2017, 02:33 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,770,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAB6120 View Post
White flight is still happening today and I don't understand it. I noticed it when I moved to GA in 2006, within 5 yrs, there was a major shift from mostly White families to Black families. It's like the first Black family moved in and the Whites start moving out, what is this phenomena. I don't think its financial because the initial Black families that move in are of the same financial status as the existing White families( they are able to afford the homes in that neighborhood) but as more White folks decide to leave and prices destabilize, the lower income Blacks or other minorities move in and there goes the neighborhood. The Whites that move out take their businesses with them and the whole community turns, tax revenue goes down, services are diminished and the neighborhood becomes trashy.
Well, if all these other people are so glorious and wonderful, then why do they need white people's businesses? Barbara Bush's brat, and plenty others, have been telling us how outstanding and hard-working, and noble, and chock-full-o'-family-values, and heroic, and better than white Americans, all these people are. So why do they need the white people?

I'm a brown person, and I created my own businesses. Why can't other nonwhites?

And another something: just because two families are in the same economic bracket, does NOT mean they're in the same social class. Money isn't everything.

Last edited by GrandviewGloria; 06-28-2017 at 03:04 PM..

Old 06-28-2017, 02:46 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,475,235 times
Socioeconomics does play a role, at least a little bit. My neighborhood is still probably 95% white. We are the only people of color on our block. There are several Black, Hispanic, and multiracial families throughout the neighborhood. No one's moving though. Maybe it's because the demographics of the neighborhood remains upper middle class and we actually paid more money for our home than probably all of the old timers on our block.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies