Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2017, 12:49 PM

6,418 posts, read 7,250,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I think the reality is that if they believe they would find a better standard of living in USA than they have already at home, then they might consider moving.

My answer to the question, will there be another wave of European immigration? The answer is probably a no.

Immigration is a really big deal. To leave behind ones friend, family, language, culture, etc. is very hard for anyone to do regardless of where they are from. To overcome this "friction" there has to some significant incentive; historically these have been a) freedom from oppression and/or b) a much higher monetary reward/salary. These simply do not exist between Western Europe and the US. Not only that, but improving conditions in Eastern Europe (and points even farther east) means there is a lot less pressure for people to move; and, if they move, it's mostly to Western Europe.
Exactly. There's just not enough incentive to emigrate unless for job reasons (transfers) or love. Quality of life is arguably much better in most of Western Europe than in the US (talking about the average person - the super rich would have a better quality of life in the US I expect because they can just buy all that extra quality) so what would be the point of emigrating? The refugee crisis is already calming down so unless there's another war making more refugees, then immigration isn't going to be enough to push people out either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2017, 12:49 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,261,787 times
Why would anyone with a nice lifestyle, good health care, good education system and a decent leader in Europe want to come here? The 'happiness' index is much higher in Europe.

I think there are more people wanting to emigrate out of the US to Europe than in. Aside from the sheer unpopularity of the president, hasn't Trump been talking about how America sucks for the last two years? Inauguration speech regarding destruction and carnage? Why would anyone want to come to a country that the president keeps saying sucks?

Ask this question in the Europe forum and you will get honest answers, not Americans dissing Europe.

"...Chances are, if you live in the U.S., you feel worse today than you did 10 years ago. Don’t worry, it’s not you. This is a national problem: America’s rank on the happiness scale is falling.

When it comes to happiness, the U.S. ranked 19th among the 34 countries in the Organization for Economic Cooperation & Development in 2016..."

Old 06-25-2017, 01:04 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,766,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Is that why the alt-right lost in the UK, Netherlands, France, and Germany or Austria?

The right wing in Europe are right wing on immigration only. If they lived here, you can bet they want Medicare for all, a well funded welfare system, paid parental leave, stronger unions, etc. Europe's educated and skilled make the Democrats from California look like Republicans. When push came to shove, every country that had has had elections recently, rejected the ideology of the deplorables
You may want to add free college education.

Old 06-25-2017, 01:34 PM

27,566 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Immigration is a really big deal. To leave behind ones friend, family, language, culture, etc. is very hard for anyone to do regardless of where they are from. To overcome this "friction" there has to some significant incentive; historically these have been a) freedom from oppression and/or b) a much higher monetary reward/salary. These simply do not exist between Western Europe and the US.
I started a thread discussing this on the Europe forum a while back. The consensus opinion seems to be that most Europeans prefer the economic security and government benefits in European countries to the potentially greater economic opportunities (high-paying jobs, business opportunities) available in America.

So, I think you're right that the salary difference between America and Europe is not enough of an incentive to get more Europeans to move to America.

//www.city-data.com/forum/europ...-s-better.html

Old 06-25-2017, 01:35 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I started a thread discussing this on the Europe forum a while back. The consensus opinion seems to be that most Europeans prefer the economic security and government benefits in European countries to the potentially greater economic opportunities (high-paying jobs, business opportunities) available in America.

So, I think you're right that the salary difference between America and Europe is not enough of an incentive to get more Europeans to move to America.

Interesting thread by the way.

Old 06-25-2017, 02:49 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,485,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
The population of the US has more than doubled in my lifetime, do we really need immigrants?
Amen. Our cities have ghettoes and in our county there is a restriction on new wells. Our major freeways are crowded except for maybe a few out west like I70 but that area has little water. No more immigrants, legal or otherwise, please.

Old 06-25-2017, 03:04 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Nope. They've gotta stay home and make their countries better.

Old 06-25-2017, 04:22 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,636,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Uncontrolled invasion of the 3rd world into Europe...could it cause people to want to come to America?
your premise is fundamentally flawed in that there is no invasion , nor has there been one in hundreds of years.

EUROPE is rock solid, they are going fine and will endure. We have more murders per capita than the EU could dream of. they are NOT afraid, they are not trying to leave, they are investing and enjoy BETTER security than americans do.

let me repeat that for ya matey.

European are more secure, less likely to suffer a violent death, less likely to go hungry, and have BETTER access to healthcare services than americans.

DO YOU UNDERSTAND THAT? Europeans are much less likely to die a violent death, suffer from untreated illness or in fact lose their homes.

You really need to learn a lot more about the world. I suggest you start with getting a better grasp on the poverty, bankruptcy, imprisonment in the USA. you know glasshouses and all that...

Old 06-25-2017, 04:24 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,636,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post

i agree. I know lots of euros, who come here young, earn a bit and take it home to enjoy an excellent and secure life in the EU. Good vacation , strong protections, healthcare security the likes of which an american can only dream of.

Old 06-25-2017, 04:30 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
Here is an interesting read

In 1960, a full 75 percent of the foreign-born population residing in the United States was from Europe, while in 2015, only 11.1 percent of the immigrant population was born in Europe. In 2015, 11.6 million foreign-born residents—26.9 percent of the foreign-born population—were from Mexico; 2.7 million immigrants were from China; 2.4 million were from India; 2 million were from the Philippines; 1.4 million were from El Salvador; 1.3 million were from Vietnam; 1.2 million were from Cuba; and 1.1 million each were from the Dominican Republic and South Korea.14

https://www.americanprogress.org/iss...-2017-edition/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies