Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2017, 04:05 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,524,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantiquity View Post
Most people who enter a nursing homes don't last/or stay more than 100 days.
Really, I have known people that have been there for years and years. Where did you get your information?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2017, 04:12 PM

33,308 posts, read 12,484,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personne View Post
I'd be curious to know what MORE she should have done, in addition to working her whole life, being a financial success and raising 4 kids?
Instead of spending the money she did on horses, she could have spent that money on long term care insurance.

Old 06-25-2017, 04:13 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,631,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantiquity View Post
Poverty and millionaires increased during the eight years of Obama. I didn't hear many liberals whining then.
OF course it did!

BUSH handed Obama a country in crisis, a country in freefall, a nation on its financial knees.

DID YOU REALLY FORGET SO FAST? honestly did you? Or are you just pretending that the biggest financial crisis in modern history did not happen?

We were very lucky to have Obama, and his strong team to help us through the disaster of BUSH. And now you have the cheek, to quip about nobody on the left "whining" during Obama's two terms!

SHAME on you rantiquity, you know full well that our country was thrown into chaos by the housing collapse that was directly caused by bush allowing banks to run wild. The solutions were not good, but the alternatives were massively worse. The idea that the dems sat on their hands when Obama was in power is absolute rubbish. They pushed hard but most likely your lot were to busy hating on Obama to notice the ongoing pressure being applied by the active engaged left.

Old 06-25-2017, 04:16 PM

19,717 posts, read 10,107,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
Feel free to post a LINK that showed EXACTLY that Republicans want to cut care benefits for the very poor who can't take care of themselves & the disabled that can't take care of themselves.

They intend to roll back over a 3-5 year period the increases in the poverty level that ObamaCare brought in and put more people on welfare. IF your State (who actually administers the Medicaid program) intends to cut care benefits to the very poor and the disabled ...... take it up with THEM.
JEFFERSON CITY • , Greitens has proposed raising eligibility requirements for elderly and disabled people who now receive services in their own homes or in nursing homes, potentially leaving 20,000 of the 80,000 served by the program without care.]
Nursing homes warn Greitens budget plan could trigger closures | Political Fix | stltoday.com

Old 06-25-2017, 04:24 PM

17,441 posts, read 9,259,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
I am informed by my elder lawyer it is usually not more than 3-5 years.

In my town a 2 bedroom apartment that provides 2 meals a day is $6000 a month. No help. If you ring the bell for somebody to come help you, it is a $30 charge.

Real live nursing home care is 600 a day.

It is my understanding that you have to spend almost all you have for Medicaid to help. They can put your assets in a Miller trust so you can access Medicaid, but the government gets it all when you die.

Also, Medicaid can see how you spent every dime of your money for 5 years prior to qualifying for medicaid.
It's a fact that Medicaid does check finances and assets ...... that's because it is supposed to be a Program for the Needy and not just a way to "save your own money" and use the Taxpayer Money.

Quote:
IIRC, in Texas you get to keep your house, if the other spouse is still living in it. There is also a cap on the value. Medicaid will put a lien on it.

It is not as easy as some think. And the nursing homes that will take Medicaid are probably not where I would want to spend my last year.

SIL has already figured between his parents and us it will be better to put us all in one place and hire somebody to ride herd over us.
From dealing with this stuff for several years and watching my friends deal with it for their parents - I have a few suggestions.

1) There are private homes that work through Medicare/Medicaid for nursing and care. There is one on my street. You have to search them out. Same thing for Alziemers. They are similar to Hospice Homes. Much cheaper than a Nursing Facility/Senior Living facility. There is a facility in my City (also in Texas) that charges less than $1,000 a month. You have a bedroom and common living area. Meals provided. It's not nursing care, but it is for those who can't live alone anymore.

2) Medicare (anyone over 65 or disabled) has little known pilot programs for what they call "Failure to Thrive". They send a nurse/PA to evaluate, deliver medicines and check in a couple of times a week. Meals on Wheels can be set up for home visits and delivered Meals. It's a reasonable plan for a family to plan to live together and hire in a caregiver. It's likely that in a setting like that - not everyone would be unable to do for themselves. Safety in numbers.

3) The Veteran's Aid program for anyone who served in a War is something those in need should apply for. You do have to prove "need", but the threshold is much, much higher than Medicaid. You keep your house. They pay between $1,000 & 3,000 a month - depending.

It's not easy to find all the options, but some dedicated searching and investigation in your area will serve you well. Best to know what you want to do before you. have to do it. Find people who know people who are using care and start building a list of contacts.

I got no warning about my Aunt & Uncle and his stroke that made it impossible for them to continue to live alone. With my own parents, I could see it coming and got on a waiting list at the facility that I was sure they would like (not that they ever wanted to live there, but Dad was in a Nursing Facility and they would not allow him out until he had a safe place to live).

Old 06-25-2017, 04:29 PM

147 posts, read 268,622 times
Default ? How do you fix something when there is nothing but obstruction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Due to Obama care my insurance costs have gone from $450 to $1080 a month in just 4 years. It's killing us self employed and many can no longer afford it. It was designed to fail and Dems also have had 8 years to fix it.

What plan have they come up with to rescue their program? Zilch. They just figured Hillary would win and we'd all be forced to single payer.

ACA was designed to fail and it's failing. If anyone does nothing it will fail within the next 2 years.
The ACA was designed to fail because it has been obstructed from the beginning. The only reason it hasnt succeeded is about 1/3 of the states refused, to the best of their ability, to TRY to help the program. It is in a "DEATH Spiral" there has been no effort to improve it. It has been the Republicans matra to not allow Obama's signature achievement to succeed. How many repeal votes? Actually only 6, but more than 50 attempts to bring it to a repeal vote.

There has been no attempt at improving the ACA.

What is the difference from car insurance and health insurance? If we maintain that you are going to drive a car it must have insurance? Why not the same for a person? We still end up paying either way if someone doesnt have insurance and they get into a wreck, or end up in the emergency room? So why the big nothing and fight? Its about money and success of a Democratic program.....I agree, it could have been massively improved, but saying folks shouldnt have to carry health insurance is just a crock. The state still cannot make someone buy car insurance, but it can require it. If those that dont carry it get sick, then shouldnt they suffer the repercussions of not having it?

What would happen if people that were so ill, they could afford health insurance, but do not......and still end up in an emergency room? Well, they get treated.....on my dime, and yours. So who pays? We still pay....and likely more than it would have over enough instances that some of the costs could have actually been prevented by requiring people to carry health insurance. We still will have risk pools for those that are so ill, they will be prevented from buying normal insurance, and we the people will still subsidize it.

Is being healthy not a part of "promoting general welfare" and part of our constitutions "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness"?

Should capitalism be off limits in certain areas? Such as our general well being and health? Ask yourselves, if our general health in this country is not a right.

Old 06-25-2017, 04:56 PM

14,927 posts, read 12,123,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
I seem to recall this tossing Grandma into the streets stuff has been predicted before ..... it generally seems to be brought up mostly when Democrats aren't in power.
It's democrat drama and scare tactics.

Old 06-25-2017, 05:00 PM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
Feel free to post a LINK that showed EXACTLY that Republicans want to cut care benefits for the very poor who can't take care of themselves & the disabled that can't take care of themselves. They intend to roll back over a 3-5 year period the increases in the poverty level that ObamaCare brought in and put more people on welfare. IF your State (who actually administers the Medicaid program) intends to cut care benefits to the very poor and the disabled ...... take it up with THEM.
You don't need a link to understand that cutting 800 billion out of medicaid is going to basically destroy healthcare for millions of people. Why don't you find a LINK that EXACTLY proves that these cuts won't impact the poor? And the cuts are NOT only to expanded medicaid no matter what Kellyanne tells you

Old 06-25-2017, 05:20 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,487,641 times
This is going to be a huge problem, especially as boomers continue to age. Most people just don't realize how expensive nursing home is or the fact that Medicare does not pay for it. I didn't know myself until some family members encountered it. It's a terrible system we have going on.

I hear pro-bill politicians saying the old and disabled won't be pushed out by Medicaid cuts but how can that be true unless there's also a law or regulation that Medicaid can prioritize the elderly/disabled and kick others off first? As far as I know, if you qualify, you get on Medicaid - who's to say the "moochers" won't be taking the space of Granny once spots get low?

Old 06-25-2017, 05:32 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personne View Post
What would actually be politically "smart" for him would be to keep the republicans in this jam for a while longer and then, like a benevolent king, "demand" that older people should have a right to nursing homes, care, etc, thus a change in the bill.

He gets it, and, BAM, all of a sudden, lots of people will be saying "see? it wasn't what you said, that was politicians, not him, he trully CARES for us, media lies, etc, ad lib".

It gets voted and all the other drastic measures get voted too. And when democrats and some republicans try to point at those other drastic measures, easy peasy for Trump to call them "the boy who cried wolf".

Well, if he were smart (not ethical of course, but that has already been established, even by his supporters), he could do that .... If he were....
Since Trump is only really interested in how he can enrich himself and his family via the president's power he doesnt really care what happens w health care bill as long he doesnt lose miney
The alt right people in his cabinet and counselors do have an agenda that requires enriching the already uber wealthy and that means gutting taxes that ACA established on wealthy to pay for extension if Medicaid for ACA rolls
This bill is a reverse engineered tax reduction
The fact that it decimates healthcare coverage for poor/lower midde class working people us just the "unfortunate" side effect of the tax cuts

The question would they do the same thing for agriculture subsidies---cut them to free up federal money for orher programs???
Of course not...
Cut back military spending and rework the armed forces as the last deep investigation of waste in the military/Pentagon recommended couple yrs ago--
Of course not--goong to increase that budget and make it more wasteful...
GOP refuses to fund a Democratic budget--period
But they will raise debt ceilings, raise expenditures on THEIR budget choices
Just not those that serve the needs of 50-70% ofAmericans
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies