Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2017, 09:22 AM

5,472 posts, read 3,224,649 times

Advertisements

I work with a variety of people, including some among us who were as well teenagers during Jim Crow, and a variety of them worked in the Police Department, Sheriff Department and various other segments, as well as other diverse people both from the area and those not from the area and people who hail from other states and various counties of even some of the same states, some Liberal minded and some more of claim as Conservative, some lived under different format of Jim Crow as it was engaged different in different states, some things were socially allowed in some places where it was not in others... The interesting part is, some of the people who worked law enforcement during those times, are not of the mindset to do the same type of things they were to do under the dictates of the former system. Their mindset is more liberal about general society, even if their stand is of claim as being Conservative.... The makeup of "individuals" is one of the most unique and amazing things in the world, and people continue to grow and change and the elements of Multi-cultural society blends itself continually.

When sitting and talking, about life experiences.... most show no outward manner that they ever lived or worked in areas of Jim Crow influenced departments and environments. Other who never experienced it, have no challenges sitting all together in group conversations simply talking about life and living. Many of the people gather and engage each other in a wide variety of activities both professionally as well as recreational.

People may not get it but, the parallels are there, and there is no "universal manner or demeanor of what is American"... its people doing and being how and what they want to be... some talk with precise sharp tones, some mellow and flowing, some with rough edges and various formats of word enunciation... some like this kind of music, some like that kind and some like all kinds and some may not like much any particular kind. When it comes to food, the gambit is wide, some like various foods associated with city environments, some like to try different ethnic culture foods, and some like country wild game and home grown foods. when it comes to vehicles, some like trucks, some like cars, some like big cars and some like small cars, some like public transportation and even some ride bicycles in varying weather conditions.
The thing of what is America... is that "People Can Like What They Want to Like".... and they can change up tomorrow and like a different variety of stuff among what ever is of accessibility to engage and enjoin to do the things they like.

There black and white cowboys, who like all attire that is "western style", some people like traditional business attire, some like casual wear, some like whats in fad, or what they are use to and some just mix and match how ever the mindset hits them to style themselves for the day, or for the outing....

Its like the Shirt and Tie thing... its not just solid white shirts with solid ties, or striped ties, it might be a cross pattern shirt with a tie that has micro dots of contrasting colors.... and now...it might be any combination. There are some norms for certain types of business and some time of social gathering and etc... but even still... people find their ways to meet and to fit where they want to be....

There is no such thing a "Do exactly what you want, exactly when you want, at any time and any place that you think to want to do something".... That is not reality in America or any other place.... heck that would not even be practical even in a Jungle tribe setting if one was deep in the Amazon.

So... this silliness of trying to ' put what is American in a small Box" does not work, and the more people try to force it, all they do is alienate themselves from others and caption themselves into a small group who want to do the same... and that's OK too... as long as that group does not try and infringe upon others as an individual or as a group to try and force people to submit to their script of allowable's..

Last edited by Chance and Change; 06-28-2017 at 10:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2017, 09:22 AM

3,564 posts, read 1,922,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Utter nonsense! You people always make it about race when it is not! It's about our identifying culture and language.
What is our "identifying culture" that Hawaiians, Alaskans, Minnesotans, Texans, Iowans, New Yorkers and New Hampshirites share, but immigrants don't?

Old 06-28-2017, 09:23 AM

62,944 posts, read 29,134,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post
What does that even mean, "Does Mexico want"?
Is the Yucatan Peninsula supposed to rise up and rail against people eating hamburgers instead of tacos?

It's about people. And people should have the right to live how they want, so long as they uphold some basic human rights, regardless of how their neighbors feel about it.

American culture and language? What is that, even? You think people in Alaska, Hawaii, Arizona, Minnesota, New Hampshire, Mississippi, and Texas have the same culture and language? You might want to get out a bit.

I don't know where your confusion is. Mexico is Hispanic culturally and most speak Spanish as their primary language. Would they want to be known as an Asian country where Mandarin becomes their identifying language because of allowing too many Asians into their country both legally and illegally? Of course they wouldn't!

You can live the way you want to live in the privacy of your own home, cant' you? What's wrong with assimilating into our society out in mainstream? If they don't want to then maybe they should have stayed in their nations of origin.

If you don't know what our identifying culture and language is then you must not be an American. Some regional differences does not change that. By the way, I've been in most states and you can still feel like you are living in America in most places. That's fading fast though.

Old 06-28-2017, 09:25 AM

62,944 posts, read 29,134,396 times
Quote:
I was born in America
I don't think you and I share the same culture
I'm going to need you to change

Then it is you needs to change as I'm as American as apple pie and a patriot.

Old 06-28-2017, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Quote:
The first written apple pie recipe goes back to 1381 in England; it was printed by Geoffrey Chaucer
https://travelmamas.com/where-was-apple-pie-invented/

I'm shocked that you haven't a clue what you're talking about

Old 06-28-2017, 09:30 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,775,774 times
Quote:
I was born in America
I don't think you and I share the same culture
I'm going to need you to change

What does that mean?

He abandons his Bruce Springsteen and borrows your Justin Bieber CDs?

Old 06-28-2017, 09:32 AM

Quote:
I don't know where your confusion is. Mexico is Hispanic culturally and most speak Spanish as their primary language. Would they want to be known as an Asian country where Mandarin becomes their identifying language because of allowing too many Asians into their country both legally and illegally? Of course they wouldn't!

You can live the way you want to live in the privacy of your own home, cant' you? What's wrong with assimilating into our society out in mainstream? If they don't want to then maybe they should have stayed in their nations of origin.

If you don't know what our identifying culture and language is then you must not be an American. Some regional differences does not change that. By the way, I've been in most states and you can still feel like you are living in America in most places. That's fading fast though.
America is not some particular specific thing people do other than "feel free to develop the lifestyle they want".

Old 06-28-2017, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel - Samuel Johnson
You'll never have a quiet world till you knock the patriotism out of the human race - George Bernard Shaw
Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious - Oscar Wilde

Old 06-28-2017, 09:45 AM

Quote:
I don't know where your confusion is. Mexico is Hispanic culturally and most speak Spanish as their primary language.
My confusion is how we are both Americans but you don't seem to know what you're talking about.

You're aware that many Americans are Hispanic culturally and speak Spanish as their primary language, right?

Quote:
I've been in most states and you can still feel like you are living in America in most places. That's fading fast though.
So, what you think it is to be an American is fading.
Then, who is it that needs to change?

Old 06-28-2017, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
So what if there are differences within communities, as long as they are not so vast that violence and hate bubbles. In a small community you know who pulls the strings and not to provoke them. That is life. As long as people are not blowing each other up and yelling hateful things, it is workable.

As to a person's childhood, it is not to be dismissed - a decent childhood environment can be the basis of good mental health and success for one's entire life. A human being's life experiences are not folklore. Bring up your kid in a warzone and then dismiss the scars as a myth.
I am not challenging there being a difference, I'm only saying that there is... I agree, as long as people are not blowing each other up... then "simply do what you do and enjoy living"...

I am not speaking to condemn childhood.. nor to kill folklore.

I agree with your commentary...

If you understand the concept of a Fisher Man's story about the Fish, and each time the size of the fish changes,. It did not mean he did not catch a fish...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies