Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2017, 10:36 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,249,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Ya got anything saying it's a widely held belief that healthcare's primary goal should be profit and not peoples' health?
Exactly why healthcare should not be considered a business - profit has no place in it.

Old 06-27-2017, 10:37 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,483,864 times
There are only 11 million illegal immigrants in the USA, a small percent of the population.. Yet they impact so much, right?

The number of illegals is still only half of the 23 million that will lose health insurance due to the Senate bill.

Old 06-27-2017, 10:41 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,455,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
Wow. You resorted to using the "effective tax rate" excuse right out of the gate. I thought this worn out obfuscation tactic would surface later on, when desperation set in.
Absolute dollars are the only metric that counts. I pay around $70K per year in income tax. I don't care if you earn $10K and pay 80% of that in taxes. You're paying a fraction of what I do, hence I'm subsidizing you. I'm paying paying more than my fair share. You, on the other hand, are a parasite.

What if I produced $300K for my employer? Since he's in the top tax bracket, he paid $100K in taxes on the basis of what I produced for him.

Old 06-27-2017, 10:45 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,455,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
There are only 11 million illegal immigrants in the USA, a small percent of the population.. Yet they impact so much, right?

The number of illegals is still only half of the 23 million that will lose health insurance due to the Senate bill.

Actually, those illegal immigrants disproportionately impact the poor and working class by depressing wages and inflating housing rents. Since 35% of illegal immigrants are homeowners (according to MSNBC which was the first stat I found), that means 7 million illegals rent.

Just imagine how much rents would PLUNGE if all illegals left the country.

Old 06-27-2017, 10:46 AM

9,504 posts, read 4,340,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Ya got anything saying it's a widely held belief that healthcare's primary goal should be profit and not peoples' health?
Umm, let's see.....oh, yeah - because that's how health care works in the U.S. Insurance companies are for profit and the share holders sort of expect them to make money. How about you show me where health care is a Constitutionally guaranteed right?

Old 06-27-2017, 10:48 AM

1,720 posts, read 1,316,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
I read that as "23 million people will be receiving fewer handouts at the expense of my tax dollars".
Exactly!!!!

Since when is it other peoples responsibility to supply you with health insurance?

Old 06-27-2017, 10:53 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
It's a widely embraced business concept that the 100% solution isn't cost effective. In fact, the point of diminishing returns is around 80%. At 93%, we should call the health care situation a success and focus on more important issues. Rubio is correct.

Some years ago when I had no insurance and was looking at the possibility of joint replacement I learned I could have the procedure performed in Belgium by a top notch surgeon using the same implant device as I'd receive in America for around 30-35% of the cost in America. Surely that must be embraced in the US as the Golden Goose solution.

Old 06-27-2017, 10:53 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,483,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CK78 View Post
Exactly!!!!

Since when is it other peoples responsibility to supply you with health insurance?
Many people don't want other people to pay for their health insurance. They want to pay 100% for their own health insurance and they don't want a handout. But with Trumpcare, the premiums will increase substantially and some people will opt out of buying health insurance due to the cost. These are people that never got a handout before and that don't want a handout now. In fact, these are people that want to buy their own health insurance and previously did buy their own health insurance (paying 100% with their own money). But the Trumpcare premium increases would make the monthly premium too expensive and some people will decide that it's too costly and cancel their policy. These people were never getting a handout and don't want a handout. They want reasonably priced health insurance policies. Instead, Trumpcare is RAISING rates....making the rates too expensive for some people.

Old 06-27-2017, 11:10 AM

1,720 posts, read 1,316,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Many people don't want other people to pay for their health insurance. They want to pay 100% for their own health insurance and they don't want a handout. But with Trumpcare, the premiums will increase substantially and some people will opt out of buying health insurance due to the cost. These are people that never got a handout before and that don't want a handout now. In fact, these are people that want to buy their own health insurance and previously did buy their own health insurance (paying 100% with their own money). But the Trumpcare premium increases would make the monthly premium too expensive and some people will decide that it's too costly and cancel their policy. These people were never getting a handout and don't want a handout. They want reasonably priced health insurance policies. Instead, Trumpcare is RAISING rates....making the rates too expensive for some people.
I hear you. Government has way too much power. Hence the cluster****** of stagnant wages for 30 years, too expensive rent and housing, health insurance and other necessities.

The government needs to be shrunk down to its' constitutional size and more things need to be done at the state level.

You also need to abolish the Federal Reserve Act and worldwide central banking and governments need to issue interest free currency or even the shrinking of the government would only do so much.

Old 06-27-2017, 04:38 PM

9,504 posts, read 4,340,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
First of all, the 93% is not out of the total, got it? In other words not everybody has insurance right now.
Whatever. The precise numbers are not important. What is important is that a 100% solution is prohibitively expensive and would be funded by people who are already paying far more than their fair share of taxes. See another post in this thread about California. Got it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies