Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2017, 10:56 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,509,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I guess you have never been to WallMart. They love poor people, because they pour their money into WallMart coffers, which of course results in jobs.
Poor people love Walmart too as it provides cheaper products.

Not sure what your point is though.

Walmart isn't operated by some poor people. It is operated by rich bloodsucking investors. Because of those blood sucking investors, Walmart can provide cheaper products to the poor people.

Last edited by lifeexplorer; 06-26-2017 at 11:04 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2017, 11:11 AM

77,013 posts, read 47,448,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post

Walmart isn't operated by some poor people. It is operated by rich bloodsucking investors. Because of those blood sucking investors, Walmart can provide cheaper products to the poor people.
You said they contribute nothing to the economy, and yet at the same time you say they are putting money in the pockets of the rick investors. Those rich people create jobs, right? Wallmart hires people to serve the poor. That is how they contribute. And yes, contrary to what you have always thought, many welfare recipients actually work.

Old 06-26-2017, 11:15 AM

34,937 posts, read 36,146,705 times
Quote:
Please name one. Just one, please.

How does someone employ others when they have no money?
Guy starts company mowing lawns. He's got a little bit of seed money, but he's hardly rich.

He takes on some clients and is making a little more money (still not rich). He decides to hire a couple of guys and buy a new mower and truck so he can send out another crew and expand his business.

This is an example that plays out all the time in this country.

It's not like people start out as lawn moguls.

Same goes for restaurants, bakeries, boutiques, startup firms of other types, etc.

I know a guy who has run a tattoo shop for years. Has about half a dozen employees. He's not rich, nor did he start out rich.

But, he's done well enough for himself.

Ditto a woman who runs a hair salon.

Point being, it's not just some rich guys who are creating jobs.

So, yes... the premise is flawed.

Old 06-26-2017, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Guy starts company mowing lawns. He's got a little bit of seed money, but he's hardly rich.

He takes on some clients and is making a little more money (still not rich). He decides to hire a couple of guys and buy a new mower and truck so he can send out another crew and expand his business.

This is an example that plays out all the time in this country.

It's not like people start out as lawn moguls.

Same goes for restaurants, bakeries, boutiques, startup firms of other types, etc.

I know a guy who has run a tattoo shop for years. Has about half a dozen employees. He's not rich, nor did he start out rich.

But, he's done well enough for himself.

Ditto a woman who runs a hair salon.

Point being, it's not just some rich guys who are creating jobs.

So, yes... the premise is flawed.
I don't disagree with this at all. Many companies, notably, Walmart, grew from small shops with little to no loans from the banks; however, had they continue to grow in that model, there wouldn't be Walmart today. If nobody borrows money from anybody, we wouldn't have most of our economy and our modern life.

Also we need to define what "rich" means.

Old 06-26-2017, 11:25 AM

34,937 posts, read 36,146,705 times
Quote:
I don't disagree with this at all. Many companies, notably, Walmart, grew from small shops with little to no loans from the banks; however, had they continue to grow in that model, there wouldn't be Walmart today.

Also we need to define what "rich" means.
I think that varies from person to person.

I knew a guy who got a truck and some lawn equipment from his dad. It couldn't have cost a fortune and the truck wasn't new.

He got so many lawns to mow that the bought another truck and more equipment.

He eventually started to make a decent living, but I doubt he was raking in 6 figures, even.

Still, if you enjoy working out doors and you can turn a profit that's good enough for you to be satisfied with your income, then you can indeed be a job creator. Maybe not on the same level as a Walmart or a Microsoft, but you're still creating jobs.

Old 06-26-2017, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
You said they contribute nothing to the economy, and yet at the same time you say they are putting money in the pockets of the rick investors. Those rich people create jobs, right? Wallmart hires people to serve the poor. That is how they contribute. And yes, contrary to what you have always thought, many welfare recipients actually work.
I never said anything you said. I said welfare recipients don't contribute.

Rich people create most jobs. I don't disagree a few poor people can create jobs on their own by slowly accumulating wealth - by then, they are the rich already.

Old 06-26-2017, 11:27 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,792,062 times
Quote:
Please name one. Just one, please.

How does someone employ others when they have no money?
Small businesses are the primary employers in our economy. They employ over half of the private-sector workers and are responsible for creating the majority (nearly two thirds) of the new jobs created since the beginning of this century.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...=.c3fb50319927

I don't know how you define small businesses or middle class, but just because they aren't rich doesn't mean they have no money.

Old 06-26-2017, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I think that varies from person to person.

I knew a guy who got a truck and some lawn equipment from his dad. It couldn't have cost a fortune and the truck wasn't new.

He got so many lawns to mow that the bought another truck and more equipment.

He eventually started to make a decent living, but I doubt he was raking in 6 figures, even.

Still, if you enjoy working out doors and you can turn a profit that's good enough for you to be satisfied with your income, then you can indeed be a job creator. Maybe not on the same level as a Walmart or a Microsoft, but you're still creating jobs.
Again, I don't disagree, assuming he didn't borrow money to buy his truck, which I highly doubt, but let's assume that.

Lots small businesses come about this way with the owners barely making a living.

Old 06-26-2017, 11:28 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,792,062 times
Quote:

Wal-Mart wasn't started by someone who was rich.

Old 06-26-2017, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Small businesses are the primary employers in our economy. They employ over half of the private-sector workers and are responsible for creating the majority (nearly two thirds) of the new jobs created since the beginning of this century.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...=.c3fb50319927

I don't know how you define small businesses or middle class, but just because they aren't rich doesn't mean they have no money.
I hope you understand that most small businesses borrow money from the rich fat blood sucking cats to operate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies