Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2017, 02:38 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,590,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post

Price increase always drives down sales volume. How is there any increased volume when the price is higher? This is elementary school math here.

You haven't seen 2% increase? What about portion size? What about quality? What about quality of service?

1+1=2 not 1.
Portion sizes have not changed, and business is booming. I have seen the McDonald's down the street from my apartment as packed as ever.

Again, you are talking economic theory, economic theory, while it looks good on paper, is just that, paper numbers in a vacuum. Reality can work differently.....

Btw, did you ever consider that margin might have been decreased?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2017, 07:35 PM

34,007 posts, read 17,041,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Portion sizes have not changed, and business is booming. I have seen the McDonald's down the street from my apartment as packed as ever.

Again, you are talking economic theory, economic theory, while it looks good on paper, is just that, paper numbers in a vacuum. Reality can work differently.....

Btw, did you ever consider that margin might have been decreased?
Southern Ct McD's are dead. I meet relatives at one (their choice) weekly, and we spend a few hours talking, and seldom do we see more than a dozen other customers rung up total.

Old 06-29-2017, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Southern Ct McD's are dead. I meet relatives at one (their choice) weekly, and we spend a few hours talking, and seldom do we see more than a dozen other customers rung up total.
Perhaps McDonald's isn't popular there. I know it's popular in my neighborhood, whenever I go there for breakfast, there is a line just to order inside as well as the drive thru

I'm assuming you live in Fairfield County? Quite an affluent area, not too many rich people eat McD's

Old 06-29-2017, 10:40 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,446,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post

Um, no, I don't think he supports taxing minimum wage workers 50%.

Cite, please!

Old 06-29-2017, 11:16 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,474,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Um, no, I don't think he supports taxing minimum wage workers 50%.

Cite, please!
the fact is at 7.20 you are barely in the 15% bracket... at 15 you are at the very edge of the 15% vracket, and if you get just a few hours of overtime you jump into the 25% BRACKET...

Sanders' bracket changes are 10 to 12...15 to 17.... 25 to 27 etc..and lowers the thresholds...so at 15/hr you would be in the 27% bracket.... sanders also adds a .2% payroll tax on top of what we are also paying...... sanders also would eliminate the personal exemptions and the std deduction ....

so the reality is even though you would double your '''earnings'''' your take home pay would only go up by pennies... and when others costs are added into that (since all others taxes will go up,, which means the cost of every item (because everything we buy has the built in cost of tax in it) will go up

so good luck with wanting that magic pill of raising the min wage to 15/hr.... you will actually lose money in the end

Old 06-29-2017, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
the fact is at 7.20 you are barely in the 15% bracket... at 15 you are at the very edge of the 15% vracket, and if you get just a few hours of overtime you jump into the 25% BRACKET...

Sanders' bracket changes are 10 to 12...15 to 17.... 25 to 27 etc..and lowers the thresholds...so at 15/hr you would be in the 27% bracket.... sanders also adds a .2% payroll tax on top of what we are also paying...... sanders also would eliminate the personal exemptions and the std deduction ....

so the reality is even though you would double your '''earnings'''' your take home pay would only go up by pennies... and when others costs are added into that (since all others taxes will go up,, which means the cost of every item (because everything we buy has the built in cost of tax in it) will go up

so good luck with wanting that magic pill of raising the min wage to 15/hr.... you will actually lose money in the end
What are you talking about? Min wage workers don't pay any income tax, or if they do, they get it back and then some every April.

And I make $1,000/wk and only pay 15% income tax plus FICA

Old 06-29-2017, 11:54 PM

Quote:
What are you talking about? Min wage workers don't pay any income tax, or if they do, they get it back and then some every April.

And I make $1,000/wk and only pay 15% income tax plus FICA

A childless full-time minimum wage worker pays about $500/yr in federal income tax and over $1,000 in payroll taxes. Childless workers NEVER "get it back and then some" because EITC is carefully designed to NEVER give childless workers more than the taxes they have paid into the system. IOW there is NO 'free' EITC money for childless workers.

Old 06-29-2017, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post

Minimum wage workers don't get overtime, because minimum wage employers hate paying overtime. In the rare event a minimum wage worker gets overtime, his employer will closely monitor his scheduling to make sure overtime pay is not an ongoing thing. I once worked 48 hours one week and my manager made sure I never again went over 40 hours.

Old 06-30-2017, 02:31 AM

34,007 posts, read 17,041,831 times
Quote:
Perhaps McDonald's isn't popular there. I know it's popular in my neighborhood, whenever I go there for breakfast, there is a line just to order inside as well as the drive thru

I'm assuming you live in Fairfield County? Quite an affluent area, not too many rich people eat McD's
10 years ago, these same McD's were far, far busier. The area was affluent then, too, but also has a sizeable middle class population. The difference is 10 years ago, with a lower minimum wage, the gap in cost vs casual dining was far wider, making McD's a more attractive option.

Old 06-30-2017, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post

A childless full-time minimum wage worker pays about $500/yr in federal income tax and over $1,000 in payroll taxes. Childless workers NEVER "get it back and then some" because EITC is carefully designed to NEVER give childless workers more than the taxes they have paid into the system. IOW there is NO 'free' EITC money for childless workers.
My fiance makes minimum at her two part time jobs, and she always gets a refund every year, no kids
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies