Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2017, 07:20 PM

34,056 posts, read 17,071,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I am an attorney. The fate of stays or requests for stays are based, essentially, on a combination of likelihood of success on the merits and a balance of harm to parties. Generally the granting or dissolving of a stay is a good forecast of where the court will come out. Especially when it's 9-0.

Bingo. Even if 4 defect, eventually the full EO will be restored.

MAGA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2017, 07:26 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,565,372 times
I don't understand why so many of you want refugees, yet none of you is willing to take a few to your home.

Old 06-26-2017, 07:26 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
Being unable to separate fact from propaganda is a sickness too. Avoid it and keep a healthy mind.
If he drafted a bill and called it a Christian ban, how would that sit with you?

Old 06-26-2017, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
LOL. Not so much. Least as far as I am concerned.

1. its temporary
2. it resolves most of the issues I had with it. Its still unconstitutional, and that will be decided by the supreme court in the future one way or another. But the actual effects? Based on the temporary order Im fine with it. I would have preferred a actual ruling - either way, but this is fine.
Yeah. I have zero problems with it as it was handled, either.

Based on my social media accounts full of these supposed "lefties" with the "exploding heads," not too many of them are really upset by this, either.

Old 06-26-2017, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Thanks for your concern....glad the SC disagrees.....
You don't get how the SCOTUS functions, do you?

They agreed to the small amount of it that they did on a provisional basis, as they found it (that small part) reasonable enough to do TEMPORARILY.

This doesn't mean they'll hear the case once it expires or that they agree with the EO as it was written. This is just how they do things.

I'm surprised that you do not know that.

Well, not really, but still.

Old 06-26-2017, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JStubak View Post
Since so many liberals and celebrities have wished Trump would die and the left is OK with it then I guess it's OK for us to wish Ginsberg would drop dead right?
Absolutely!

I mean, I don't wish that sort of thing on anyone, including Trump, but if there are folks who want to wish stuff like that, y'all have at it.

I just hope karma doesn't kick you later.

Old 06-26-2017, 07:39 PM

35,071 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
You don't get how the SCOTUS functions, do you?

They agreed to the small amount of it that they did on a provisional basis, as they found it (that small part) reasonable enough to do TEMPORARILY.

This doesn't mean they'll hear the case once it expires or that they agree with the EO as it was written. This is just how they do things.
No, it's you who doesn't understand how the SCOTUS does things. All courts, in considering requests for injunctive relief, or dissolution of injunctions, are bound to consider: 1) likelihood of success on the merits or at least a fair question for litigation; and 2) irreparable harm, or the balance of hardships. Thus, a temporary decision under federal jurisdiction is hardly temporary; it's usually an excellent forecast of the ultimate ruling.

Old 06-26-2017, 07:50 PM

30,166 posts, read 11,795,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
I'm honestly worried about the Americans abroad in countries that this ban might draw hostility from.

What happened to Otto Warmer in North Korea was horrific, and as more and more of the planet becomes a no-go area for Americans, that might be more commonplace. I hope anyone in the affected countries (or in countries that are allies to them) get out of there pronto and fly back home or at least go to a non-affected country.

I'm glad I travelled so much already... Americans are going to be increasingly unwelcome in more and more places.
What happened to Otto Warmer was horrible but seriously North Korea? He got detained while Obama was POTUS lets not blame Trump on that one. But what Warmer did was like jogging across the freeway for no reason. It is horrible if you get run over but why do something so stupid?

Americans have always been a target. I remember friends back in the 80's when they traveled to Europe would put Canada stickers on their backpacks and tell people they were from Canada because of anti american sentiment. And I am talking about western europe.

You put yourself at risk if you venture out of the US. Perhaps a small risk most of the time but an elevated risk. It has always been that way. You go into Iran or North Korea and you are likely to get into a bad situation.

Old 06-26-2017, 07:59 PM

30,638 posts, read 18,227,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
No, it's you who doesn't understand how the SCOTUS does things. All courts, in considering requests for injunctive relief, or dissolution of injunctions, are bound to consider: 1) likelihood of success on the merits or at least a fair question for litigation; and 2) irreparable harm, or the balance of hardships. Thus, a temporary decision under federal jurisdiction is hardly temporary; it's usually an excellent forecast of the ultimate ruling.
Excellent analysis.

Old 06-26-2017, 08:02 PM

30,371 posts, read 19,162,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwinkelman View Post
What happened to Otto Warmer was horrible but seriously North Korea? He got detained while Obama was POTUS lets not blame Trump on that one. But what Warmer did was like jogging across the freeway for no reason. It is horrible if you get run over but why do something so stupid?

Americans have always been a target. I remember friends back in the 80's when they traveled to Europe would put Canada stickers on their backpacks and tell people they were from Canada because of anti american sentiment. And I am talking about western europe.

You put yourself at risk if you venture out of the US. Perhaps a small risk most of the time but an elevated risk. It has always been that way. You go into Iran or North Korea and you are likely to get into a bad situation.
Depends on where you are talking about. We are pawns to many people in the world. I've worked and traveled all over the world and currently in the Middle East and I don't wear American flags or make it obvious I'm American even though the country where I'm working has American troops protecting them.

I've never felt any warmth from Western Europeans toward Americans....I think basically they resent our power compared to theirs. Conversely, in Asia I never felt it was an issue in China, Mongolia, Thailand, Philippines, South Korea to be identified as an American...we are treated warmly for the most part.

When I was in Peru, most people were friendly to Americans but there was underlying resentment going back to Spanish Conquistador days to 'white people.' Most were hostile to associations with Donald Trump.

I think in all of the nations listed on the travel ban, before and after the ban it is dangerous to be identified as an American in these countries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies