Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2017, 08:31 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,518,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
since liberals decided to just make stuff up.

Please enlighten us on that liberals have made up about Trump.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2017, 11:55 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,220,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Please enlighten us on that liberals have made up about Trump.
Let's talk about why it would matter if they did.

Jane or John Smith in Altoona can pretty much comment all day about how Trump is a space alien named Alf, who eats cats for dinner...

Does it matter?

Old 06-26-2017, 11:56 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,764,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Ever since Trump was elected, there have been constant posts in here, full of outrage at American citizens, from politicians, to CEOs, to actors, to professors, to reporters, to Joe off the street because those people have spoken out against Trump and/or his adminstration.

Why?

It surely seemed okay for the 8 years prior.

And the 8 prior to that.

AND the 8 prior to that.

And so on. Throughout history, really.

Why is it suddenly not okay?

Our Constitution allows it.

This is still a free country.

Where's all this outrage at people so much as objecting to Trump coming from?

I can guarantee you, that if Hillary (or, hell, Bernie) was POTUS right now, there would not be outrage over people simply DISAGREEING with her. Or feeling she (or he) wasn't doing a good job.

I could see some outrage at people taking cheap shots based on her looks or his religion, kind of how people got upset at the cheap shots aimed at the Obamas for such things.

But, Trump ran a campaign BASED on low tactics like bigotry and intolerance. He loves it.

Why be so angry over people not liking him?

He's still President. There's no law requiring that anyone like him or that they don't criticize him.
Since the Trump cult took over and destroyed what this country stands for.

Old 06-26-2017, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
Firstly, it's not about criticizing the government; it's about criticizing Trump.

This phenomenon is called the 'personification of power.' It's not about the office of the presidency, but rather about the guy who's in it.

And it's a very negative thing too. Most despots use it. I won't use the obvious example, a guy with a funny mustache, and instead look to Julius Caesar. Other than the fact that Caesar was a pretty qualified guy, the similarities between Trump and Caesar are kind of remarkable. Both were relatively well liked by a large faction of people who didn't personally want to do politics but instead wanted a leader (not a public servant). It was a response to corrupt institutions that many felt were too self serving, because they were. Add on top of that Rome's aggressive expansion and annexing of other cultures, the republic simply became unstable.

Now, I'm not saying Trump is a despot. We will only know the results of his presidency in time, unfortunately.

But anyone who seems to suggest that criticizing a president, or any person who holds public office for that matter, is doing something that is very dangerous. It's unfortunate that these people are the most likely to dismiss your concerns as they are the one's who need to hear it most.

And becasue it's probably necessary, not every Trump voter fits the bill here. But there are those who do and it needs to be said.
What you've said here is what I find most disconcerting. It is our right as Americans to question our leaders. Trying to squelch all dissent IS un-American.

Old 06-26-2017, 11:58 PM

32,032 posts, read 15,030,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Doesn't look very "American" to me.

https://twitter.com/Breaking911/stat...18179391336450

Maybe your definition of what it means to be American is different.
Maybe you could actually answer the post instead of deflecting

Old 06-26-2017, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Since the Trump cult took over and destroyed what this country stands for.
Nothing is destroyed. There is certainly upheaval.

I think most Americans are actually somewhere in the middle of the political spectrum, at the end of the day.

Old 06-27-2017, 12:05 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,764,345 times
Quote:
Nothing is destroyed. There is certainly upheaval.

I think most Americans are actually somewhere in the middle of the political spectrum, at the end of the day.
Our world influence/soft power is done. We're not going to recover in that regard after this dumpster fire. And with a soon to be ultra-right wing Supreme Court, I think this country is doomed for a long long time.

Old 06-27-2017, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Our world influence/soft power is done. We're not going to recover in that regard after this dumpster fire. And with a soon to be ultra-right wing Supreme Court, I think this country is doomed for a long long time.
I don't think that the sky has fallen just yet. I'm not exactly an unrealistically optimistic type, but I think it's safe to say that the US isn't the only country with some odd stuff going on politically, and a shift here or there can make a huge difference.

Old 06-27-2017, 12:50 AM

7,184 posts, read 4,761,473 times
Quote:
Ever since Trump was elected, there have been constant posts in here, full of outrage at American citizens, from politicians, to CEOs, to actors, to professors, to reporters, to Joe off the street because those people have spoken out against Trump and/or his adminstration.

Why?

It surely seemed okay for the 8 years prior.

And the 8 prior to that.

AND the 8 prior to that.

And so on. Throughout history, really.

Why is it suddenly not okay?

Our Constitution allows it.

This is still a free country.

Where's all this outrage at people so much as objecting to Trump coming from?

I can guarantee you, that if Hillary (or, hell, Bernie) was POTUS right now, there would not be outrage over people simply DISAGREEING with her. Or feeling she (or he) wasn't doing a good job.

I could see some outrage at people taking cheap shots based on her looks or his religion, kind of how people got upset at the cheap shots aimed at the Obamas for such things.

But, Trump ran a campaign BASED on low tactics like bigotry and intolerance. He loves it.

Why be so angry over people not liking him?

He's still President. There's no law requiring that anyone like him or that they don't criticize him.
It happened during GWB's administration too. We weren't allowed to criticize the wars. Remember?

So, to answer your question, it happens during Republican administrations.

Old 06-27-2017, 02:29 AM

15,154 posts, read 11,615,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latimeria View Post
What dude on my corner? Huh? The pictures are online, with far more reach than if it was in real life "on my corner".
Are you asking for a public figure that criticized Obama? Nugent is an easy one, if you need a specific example. I was talking more along the lines of as unfortunate and sad it is that dissidents of any president do crap like this, it's not un-American.
The "pics" are online because the liberal media decided to post it for the world to see.

And as far as Nugent..that is 1 person over an 8 year period..so far the sick libs are up to at least 20 in the first 4 months. Please stop with the false equalivance
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies