Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2017, 10:26 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
How about the fact he is discharging a weapon so carelessly? Ridiculous.
It will be interesting to see what the internal investigation reveals as far as discipline/charges go.

Since he was responding to an emergency alarm he's probably going to claim he had to shoot the dog to stabilize a potentially dangerous scene.

And that he feared for his life of course.

Old 06-27-2017, 10:33 PM

6,844 posts, read 2,846,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
There seems to be little rational perspective on the part of most of the previous posters on this thread. The dog was coming fast and straight at the deputy. It never waivered or hesitated. It wasn't stopped and just barking, as some have suggested. There was no time for the deputy to make any judgement about the dog's intentions, because if he had, the dog could have been on him and attacking in another half-second. The fact that it was a pit-bull, also has to be considered. Don't underestimate the strength and destructive power such a dog has, even though a grown man might be more than twice its weight.

I didn't see any "Beware of Dog" signs on the driveway. Was that the first time any other person had come to that door? The deputy was there on a legitimate call and actually would have been protecting the homeowner's property, if the alarm had been triggered by an intruder. The owner suggested that the deputy should have waited at the gate and had the owner let him in. But how could that have been accomplished? If there had been an intruder, that wouldn't have been at all feasible. The owner's fault in triggering the alarm, has to be considered as the primary cause for the whole incident.

With such a dog on duty, there should have been at least a couple of warning signs and the gate should have been locked. A buzzer on the gate to alert the homeowner that someone wanted to make contact, should have been installed.
Pro Tip: If you hear a dog barking...

There's your sign.

Old 06-27-2017, 10:36 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,742,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
I don't know if I'd say the majority are, but you bring up a good point. Policing seems to be an occupation that does attract a LOT of control freaks.
Anyone who seeks any position of authority or influence over others has mental issues of some sort. Professional jack-booted thugs like those that "enforce" the edicts of the State and such are just the most sadistic of the thugs who occupy all government positions.

Old 06-28-2017, 06:41 AM

21,475 posts, read 10,575,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
You can improve the professionalism in the ranks. Better pay, higher expectations. This guy sounds more like an immature pizza boy than a police officer.
Police are not hurting for money. They get their drop accounts and big pensions, plus they can moonlight and make really good money.

Old 06-28-2017, 06:43 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,842,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irspow View Post
Anyone who seeks any position of authority or influence over others has mental issues of some sort. Professional jack-booted thugs like those that "enforce" the edicts of the State and such are just the most sadistic of the thugs who occupy all government positions.
I agree.

Old 06-28-2017, 06:58 AM

7,447 posts, read 2,833,471 times
Example #9867 of why calling the cops almost always makes a situation worse rather than better. Avoid at all costs unless there is an absolutely catastrophically desperate reason.

Old 06-28-2017, 07:07 AM

2,003 posts, read 1,168,392 times
I am a dog owner and would probably be locked up if s coonshot my dog. Having said that , there seems to be more empathy for this than cops shooting unarmed citizens.

Old 06-28-2017, 07:36 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
If you have dogs, do NOT get an alarm system.

The dog's owner sat on his keys triggering the PANIC alert. The panic alert for most alarm companies is different than the breaking in signal. The panic button is to signal that you are in imminent danger. It's why the cop was flying there with lights and sirens.

The cop did what he was suppose to do and go to the residence. At that point, the dog came at him aggressively, which is what that dog is supposed to do.

At that point, the cop didn't have many options. I have no idea if he had mace or how effective it would be against such a dog.

The home owner made a horrible choice in having such an alarm system.
I dont agree with the bold. Dont see the dog as coming at him aggressively and how do you know that's what that dog is suppose to do. Most dogs are not suppose to attack humans.
He had options. One, command the dog to stop. Really. I've done it, seen it done. Most dogs, as Stan said, will come running, barking towards a stranger. A simple command, down, sit, no, or even a sound and gesture will stop the dog. Two, he could have shot in the air, the noise likely would stop the dog.
Three, if the dog continued to come at him in an aggressive manner, shot it in the leg.
How many shots were fired, 4? while the dog was even moving away.

IMO all officers should receive training in how to deal with animals in general as well as specifically how to deal with aggressive animals other than shot them.

Old 06-28-2017, 07:45 AM

50,288 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Anyone still think only the cops should have guns? You want that to be your only option, having the cop in original post show up after you call them because you are unarmed?

Old 06-28-2017, 07:55 AM

5,301 posts, read 2,355,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
I don't know if I'd say the majority are, but you bring up a good point. Policing seems to be an occupation that does attract a LOT of control freaks.
I can tell you that there were 3 brothers I grew up with...all sort of the insecure macho types, would fight with each other, and were the kind to pick on other people and cry when anyone fought back or stood up for themselves. 2 of them went into the military and one became a cop.

Just anecdotal, but definitely not surprising that they were drawn to that type of thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies