Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2017, 09:23 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,948,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
And even for a biased source it still can't hide the fact that those balanced-budget red states are probably the second worst collection of states for economic activity, culture, and innovation. Who has ever referred to the collective of Nebraska, Montana, Iowa, and Iowa as an economic powerhouse? The only collective worse? Tennessee, Mississippi, Missouri, and Arkansas. The only thing these states are leading choices for is "worst region for your car to break down in."

This coming from someone in Illinois of all places. This state is in terrible financial trouble and your city is one of the deadliest in the nation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2017, 09:44 PM

32,065 posts, read 15,040,845 times
If states were left up to their own without federal dollars, what states do you think would be better off. Do you think Mississippi would survive. Many red states would suffer without blue states supporting them.

Old 06-28-2017, 09:51 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
If states were left up to their own without federal dollars, what states do you think would be better off. Do you think Mississippi would survive. Many red states would suffer without blue states supporting them.
How much in total dollars does Mississippi prosper from the Feds?

When did Mississippi go from blue to red?

Old 06-28-2017, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
How much in total dollars does Mississippi prosper from the Feds?

More than we should pay. Let the state take care of themselves. Do you know what would happen if we did that to some of these states.

Old 06-28-2017, 10:06 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
More than we should pay. Let the state take care of themselves. Do you know what would happen if we did that to some of these states.
So, does that mean you don't know?

The next question will be in what form?

You brought up Mississippi, so let's analyze it. Isn't it safe to say you know these numbers?

Old 06-28-2017, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
So, does that mean you don't know?

The next question will be in what form?

You brought up Mississippi, so let's analyze it. Isn't it safe to say you know these numbers?
We all know Mississippi is the poorest state. I was born there, all my relatives still live there. Most are suffering because there are not that many jobs. If they didn't get federal dollars they would become a dead state because they couldn't make it on their own. Most couldn't survive without medicaid. I'm talking about my family and their families. So what is their governor doing to get companies there to provide jobs.....not a thing.

Old 06-29-2017, 12:00 AM

3,674 posts, read 3,033,842 times
oh IDK, my brother lives in Minnesota and that state has jobs, jobs, and more jobs, thriving economy, near or at the tops of lists on QOL issues.

Old 06-29-2017, 03:06 AM

27,213 posts, read 46,728,178 times
Not strange at all

Old 06-29-2017, 09:39 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,103,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridanative10 View Post
Oh please. Why dont you break that down how blue states are "funding" red states without just posting some article from some crap like huff post or wallet hub, really break the numbers down and what its spent on . The state I live in Texas sends more in federal tax revenue to washington than 12 of the 19 blue states combined and still gets 9 cents back on the dollar, even with tons of miltary veterans, bases, and retirees.

Florida where most of my family is sends way more to washington than most states in tax revenue and still gets less back than it sends even with tons of veterans and bases and retirees.

Most federal money is miltary spending, certain states have more bases veterans, active duty, miltary research like in new mexico, and retirees receiving social security, even the part that is welfare spending is going to more blue counties and democrat voters in red states.

So go ahead, I am dying to hear how Texas is being "funded" by some small blue state? lol
Texas is an outlier, we're talking about about states like Kansas, Alabama, Wyoming, etc. At any rate, Texas will be a swing state within a decade. I wouldn't be surprised if Ted Cruz's re-election victory margin in 2018 is under 5 points. Texas has gone from solid R to leans R.

Old 07-01-2017, 09:08 PM

720 posts, read 500,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
I live in California, and our state fiscal situation got better after the Republicans who would block everything lost power to obstruct the budget, and after Jerry Brown succeeded Arnold Schwartznegger. Sorry it doesn't fit your doomsday view of California.
My guess is Republicans wanted to avoid tax hikes and overspending and Jerry Brown managed to balance the budget by raising taxes and cutting spending. It's not a doomsday view of California, it's the truth. Taking care of everybody costs money; it's a fact of life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies