Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2017, 09:08 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,784,951 times

Advertisements

It's a line that's been repeated a thousand times on conservative media: liberals are "elitist" for opposing climate deregulation. According to seasoned coal advocates, working class folks in Jesup, Georgia must be liberal "elitists" for opposing a ten ton dump of toxic coal ash in their community. Unsurprisingly, I don't think Republic Services are dumping coal ash anywhere near Rush Limbaugh's NYC penthouse or Sean Hannity's Long Island estate.

Quote:

Coal-fired power plants in the U.S. churn out more than 100 million tons of coal ash a year, making it the country’s second largest waste product after household trash. Power companies typically dump coal ash into pits or ponds on their properties, where it can percolate into waterways and groundwater or get carried by wind as carcinogenic “fugitive dust.”

Yet regulators have largely failed to control disposal of this material ― which contains arsenic, lead and mercury ― even though a person living near an unlined coal ash storage pond faces a cancer risk 2,000 times higher than those same regulators have deemed acceptable.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/georgia-t...100032842.html

So conservatives, which EPA regulations should we cut to help these people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2017, 09:18 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
No, they aren't elitist.

Conservatives solve this dilemma by not responding to this thread.

Now if this had been some northern or west coast city, they'd be a bunch of whining hippies.

But since they're from the Bible Belt, you turn your head and ignore their anger because you know they'll vote for some pro-coal conservative regardless of how bad they're treated. Coal companies could dump the coal ash in their living rooms (literally, not figuratively), and these people would STILL vote for the pro coal candidate.

So whatever.

Old 06-28-2017, 09:18 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
Quote:
County residents were getting more and more concerned with each story. This new rail spur would enable the company ― later found to be Republic Services, a $9 billion company based in Phoenix whose biggest shareholder is Microsoft’s Bill Gates ― to haul 10,000 tons of toxic coal ash through the county’s swampy forestlands and into the dump every day.
Seattle liberal elite dumping poison on the little people.

Thread fail.

Old 06-28-2017, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Seattle liberal elite dumping poison on the little people.

Thread fail.
Deflect. Bill Gates is a hypocrite for his stake in Republic Services - but tell me how deregulation is the answer to toxic coal ash.

Old 06-28-2017, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
Deflect. Bill Gates is a hypocrite for his stake in Republic Services - but tell me how deregulation is the answer to toxic coal ash.
I don't think I have the energy to explain how freedom of association and owning the fruits of your labor works tonight.

So just put me down for raising taxes and more regulation. We've come this far so maybe this time it will work!

Old 06-28-2017, 09:29 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,961,631 times
Toxic coal ash is what will make America great again. We have plenty of people here who not only want more of it but completely eliminate all environmental regulation and let the ruling donor class dump as much toxic coal ash in their neighborhood as they want!

Old 06-28-2017, 09:31 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,961,631 times
Quote:
I don't think I have the energy to explain how freedom of association and owning the fruits of your labor works tonight.

So just put me down for raising taxes and more regulation. We've come this far so maybe this time it will work!

Lol, you only have prepared talking points as a rebuttal. Toxic coal ash is FREEDOM! Freedom for the billionaire class to steamroll over salt of the earth Americans. Because money equals power. And they have it. And you dont.

Old 06-28-2017, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Lol, you only have prepared talking points as a rebuttal. Toxic coal ash is FREEDOM! Freedom for the billionaire class to steamroll over salt of the earth Americans. Because money equals power. And they have it. And you dont.
I can't even make sense of what you think I believe.

Old 06-28-2017, 09:47 PM

Quote:
I can't even make sense of what you think I believe.
Esoteric language with no real meaning?

Old 06-28-2017, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
Esoteric language with no real meaning?
Gates was the poison dumper. A Seattle coastal elite.

And your boy Obama's EPA knew about the discrepancy in landfill dumping last year but did nothing which was going to make this possible.

Is that specific enough for you? Or am I being too esoteric?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies