Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2017, 12:21 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,137,287 times

Advertisements

Actually, who knows. The blue states might be powerless even within their own states if the Supreme Court gets imbalanced and taken over by too many Christian conservatives. I have no problem with Christian conservatives, but no ideology or religion should be dominant among the justices - especially if they serve for life.

Depending on Supreme Court retirements/etc, the USA may very well be under the rule of evangelical conservatives for the rest of your life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2017, 12:23 PM

7,447 posts, read 2,832,289 times
Religiosity trends in the general population have been moving in the opposite direction, generally there is ~10-20 year lag between shifts in the views of the general population and the mirroring legislative shifts. So I am not super worried about it.

Old 06-29-2017, 12:36 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,257,063 times
This is not going to happen. Not to offend anyone, but we are not Afghanistan, and the religious bullies here are not the Taliban. Unless there is Martial Law and they force religion on people using assault rifles, they've already lost this war.

The Millennial generation is twice the size of the boomers and they aren't into religion much. As the older super religious people die off, they are being replaced with a secular population.

We don't believe in Zeus and Odin any longer. Things change, and as people become more educated and advanced there is less belief that they have no control over their lives because of a god. I suppose America could regress, but I doubt it will. Other countries have already separated religion and government, and they will forge ahead of us.

"...The atheist blogs have been chattering about this chart from Pew, as well they should. It shows that the number of religiously unaffiliated Americans has been rising slowly with each generation, and now exceeds 1 in 4 among the Millennials, a record high:

Millennials are also less likely to report that they pray daily, to regularly attend religious services, or to describe their religious commitment as "strong". Just 40% of them say religion is "very important" in their lives, and only 27% believe the Bible is the literal word of a god, both record lows..."

Religion Among the Millennials | Pew Research Center

The Millennials: America's Secular Future | Big Think

U.S. Public Becoming Less Religious | Pew Research Center

Old 06-29-2017, 12:40 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,520,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
It really seems like things are starting to snowball in that direction. From the ruling that taxpayer money can now fund religious schools to Kentucky's new law putting the Bible back in school, I really think we are headed to a Baptist theocracy in this country, or at least in the South.

Question is, how far will they go? Will evolution be banned from science classes and be replaced with curriculum written by Ken Ham? Will US History classes be taught with David Barton's curriculum, which teaches that America was founded and built by Baptists and the First Amendment only applies to Protestant Christianity?

Under Trump, the religious right as the most empowered it has been since Jerry Falwell's prime in the 1980s.

I really feel marriage equality isn't long for the world. Roe v Wade could be on its way out as well, or at least there could be some unprecedented restrictions placed on it.

What do you think?
I think if we let the most religious zealots have power - it could happen. But, honestly, I think there would be a civil war before that happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
This is not going to happen. Not to offend anyone, but we are not Afghanistan, and the religious bullies here are not the Taliban. Unless there is Martial Law and they force religion on people using assault rifles, they've already lost this war.

The Millennial generation is twice the size of the boomers and they aren't into religion much. As the older super religious people die off, they are being replaced with a secular population.

We don't believe in Zeus and Odin any longer. Things change, and as people become more educated and advanced there is less belief that they have no control over their lives because of a god. I suppose America could regress, but I doubt it will. Other countries have already separated religion and government, and they will forge ahead of us.

"...The atheist blogs have been chattering about this chart from Pew, as well they should. It shows that the number of religiously unaffiliated Americans has been rising slowly with each generation, and now exceeds 1 in 4 among the Millennials, a record high:

Millennials are also less likely to report that they pray daily, to regularly attend religious services, or to describe their religious commitment as "strong". Just 40% of them say religion is "very important" in their lives, and only 27% believe the Bible is the literal word of a god, both record lows..."

Excellent point and one I've been trying to make. They are shooting themselves in the foot if they take it too far. They will have no soldiers left to fight their 'war'.

Old 06-29-2017, 12:41 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,741,394 times
No millennials believe in a much more destructive and evil religion, the religion of State. I hope they get their Soviet State and mass graves after I am dead

Old 06-29-2017, 12:41 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,614,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
These things are a 2 steps forward, one step backward thing. Trump and Pence are taking us that step back at the moment.
They may have tripped while stepping backwards.

Old 06-29-2017, 12:49 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,137,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post

Wow, over 1 in 4 is considered a record high? That's still a very low number!

Probably 80% of those close to me are irreligious. And the other 20% are mostly Hindus or Jews. The only Christians I know are my husband and I (both Quakers) and his family (Mormons).

I had no idea the USA was so deeply religious even in my generation.

Old 06-29-2017, 12:52 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,163,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
Amusing.

Quote:
What do you think?
I think you should spend more time learning how to relax.

Old 06-29-2017, 12:59 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,257,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Wow, over 1 in 4 is considered a record high? That's still a very low number!

Probably 80% of those close to me are irreligious. And the other 20% are mostly Hindus or Jews. The only Christians I know are my husband and I (both Quakers) and his family (Mormons).

I had no idea the USA was so deeply religious even in my generation.
That stat was in 2010, so I imagine it could be higher now as the there was a gradual increase in non-affiliated happening.

There may be something more current out there.

This follow-up was in 2015, but it just keeps increasing, so I'm sure it has gone up even more in the last two years.

I agree-I don't know anyone very religious, but you tend to associate with people who have more in common with you. The only place I've met religious people are in the workplace, and surprisingly, several of those were Jehovah's Witnesses.

Old 06-29-2017, 01:00 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,506,057 times
Quote:
It really seems like things are starting to snowball in that direction. From the ruling that taxpayer money can now fund religious schools to Kentucky's new law putting the Bible back in school, I really think we are headed to a Baptist theocracy in this country, or at least in the South.

Question is, how far will they go? Will evolution be banned from science classes and be replaced with curriculum written by Ken Ham? Will US History classes be taught with David Barton's curriculum, which teaches that America was founded and built by Baptists and the First Amendment only applies to Protestant Christianity?

Under Trump, the religious right as the most empowered it has been since Jerry Falwell's prime in the 1980s.

I really feel marriage equality isn't long for the world. Roe v Wade could be on its way out as well, or at least there could be some unprecedented restrictions placed on it.

What do you think?
I think the fact that you were raised in a staunchly religious family and still live with them in a staunchly religious town in a staunchly religious state has you paranoid that the real world out there is anything like the tiny circle of life around you. It's not. Chill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies